« lamehmm »
This is a sub-selection from huh?
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to neufuse

to neufuse

Re: huh?

If the cablecard was activated (paired) successfully, you can move it to another box without re-pairing.

With clearQAM channels I was able to watch even if the cablecard wasn't activated properly (I just stuck it into the 3CC).

When they turn on the copy once flag, if the pairing does not match the HostID (the box you plug it into)--Data ID, you will not be able to decode those channels since copy once is tied to a unique DataID, since CCI copy-once actually re-encrypts the stream.

So for instance if copy freely is on, the file sitting on your W7MC is a decrypted blob you can move around and use freely. If CCI/CO flag was set that data at rest is encrypted on the disk and only the authorized endpoint with the decryption key can decrypt (view) that content.

It's basically crap.
wkm001
join:2009-12-14

wkm001

Like I said above, you can stream content from your W7MC to an extender and be within your rights while not violating provider's flag.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Thanks. I already have that setup and it will continue to work because the extender is streaming, like tivos.

However my PC's and ipads will no longer be able to work on content w/ this flag, and room to room transfers on tivos will be dead.

And there was a pretty vibrant linux crowd (mythtv, sagetv, etc) that was able to use FIOS in peace.

Once they start turning on the flag those solutions will be dead in the water.

This is about reducing choice, not increasing it.

If aereo wins, watch out cable providers...
« lamehmm »
This is a sub-selection from huh?