All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
DGGSLF
join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to aaronwt

to aaronwt

Re: [TIVO] Here comes the copy protection bit (letter)

So I got my letter today and the In Home Agent option did not work for my two CableCARD enabled TVs, so I tried the number in the letter. After entering the host ID for the first TV, it routed me to an agent.

After a half hour trying to pair the TVs to the S-Cards, he gave up and is sending me two new cards. He did say everthing looks fine in his back end system, so he's not sure what the problem is. His quality manger could not help either.

The cards I currently have are 4 or 5 years old and have worked fine after the initial two weeks it took them to get it right. The only channel that does not come through is the barker channel on 131, which I guess has the copy bit enabled. It seems like I'll be in a world of hurt after July 31st, if I'm still unsuccessful with pairing the TVs to the new card. I wonder what options Verizon will provide if nothing works?

Will provide an update tomorrow when the new cards arrive.
DGGSLF

DGGSLF

So here is my update:

Tech support sent me two S-Cards to replace the two I've had for 4 years+. The good news is that they both activated quite easily via the activation web page. The bad news is that I still cannot view the content of channel 131 on either TV.

I'm not having a good feeling about this but I guess I'll have to call back in to tech support to see if they can make these TVs pair with the replacement cards. The TVs are from 2004 and 2005 respectively, so fairly old for technology.

dosdoxies
Premium Member
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA

dosdoxies

Premium Member

said by DGGSLF:

So here is my update:

Tech support sent me two S-Cards to replace the two I've had for 4 years+.

I didn't think Verizon had any S cards anymore.
knordrw
join:2007-09-07
Bethel Park, PA
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB3000N

knordrw to DGGSLF

to DGGSLF
It's possible the TVs don't support Simulcrypt, which would be in use in your VHO, as it is a dual Motorola/Cisco area. Although in the past when I've seen something like that, no channels at all come in above 50 on a device that doesn't support Simulcrypt. I am assuming you are getting the pairing screen on ch 131, right?
DGGSLF
join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to dosdoxies

to dosdoxies
Yes. Looks like these are used or refurbished cards. The way they were packaged, you could tell they were not new.
DGGSLF

DGGSLF to knordrw

to knordrw
Yes. Whenever I tune to channel 131, I get the screen that the letter indicates I should get, i.e. the screen with CableCARD ID, host ID and Data ID, along with the customer support number to call.

I believe NYC Dave mentioned something about that in a Simulcrypt thread about a year ago. I certainly dont want to pay for two more boxes, so I hope they can fix this.