XenithOrb
Premium
join:2003-06-06
Palm Coast, FL

1 edit
reply to Paralipsis

Re: [Internet] DOCSIS 3.0

I want you to talk more about this...

I'm curious as to why the SB6121 isn't on the list of approved modems; it's structurally and technically identical to the SB6141 with the small exception of it (probably though firmware) only allowing 4 downstream channels to be bonded rather than the 8 on the SB6141. On a non-bonded service like Turbo, why do you care?

The people I spoke to at tech support to get it activated were really bone headed about it not being on the "Authorized modems" list, despite me visually being able to see through its configuration page that it was pulling a fine signal and was ready to be integrated on the network. MACs were set, the only thing preventing this person was a silly checkbox on his computer screen and the fear of losing his job. (It literally would have worked no differently than SB6141 which is approved wtf?) Why are you concerned that I'm not able to bond 8 downstream channels ( 4 is good enough for 160Mb/s downstream btw ) on a 20Mb/s non-bonded service?

»i.imgur.com/A9JWy.jpg Note specs are nearly identical notwithstanding bonded capabilities.

Also, contrary to what someone else said on the 22nd, the tech jockey told me that if I were to go out and buy the SB6141 and wanted to use that I could, because it was "authorized"; I made sure to bring up "Even if I'm 'only' on the turbo plan?" and he assured me that this was the case and he would be able to get it working. Do they even know the real story about this? Who's right?

An extra $2 guaranteed from every customer is a huge deal for a subscription service, and it looks like you don't allow any modem that a typical person would be able to find in department stores (Walmart, target, bestbuy etc. I've looked at them all). The only rational explanation given that they're DOCSIS 2/3 compatible; some of which are only slightly neutered versions of the ones that are allowed, is that the company has interests in people renting their modems. True or not, this is how it seems, after investing the time to search for something that's compatible with this network.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148

said by XenithOrb:

I want you to talk more about this...

I'm curious as to why the SB6121 isn't on the list of approved modems; it's structurally and technically identical to the SB6141 with the small exception of it (probably though firmware) only allowing 4 downstream channels to be bonded rather than the 8 on the SB6141. On a non-bonded service like Turbo, why do you care?

The people I spoke to at tech support to get it activated were really bone headed about it not being on the "Authorized modems" list, despite me visually being able to see through its configuration page that it was pulling a fine signal and was ready to be integrated on the network. MACs were set, the only thing preventing this person was a silly checkbox on his computer screen and the fear of losing his job. (It literally would have worked no differently than SB6141 which is approved wtf?) Why are you concerned that I'm not able to bond 8 downstream channels ( 4 is good enough for 160Mb/s downstream btw ) on a 20Mb/s non-bonded service?

»i.imgur.com/A9JWy.jpg Note specs are nearly identical notwithstanding bonded capabilities.

Also, contrary to what someone else said on the 22nd, the tech jockey told me that if I were to go out and buy the SB6141 and wanted to use that I could, because it was "authorized"; I made sure to bring up "Even if I'm 'only' on the turbo plan?" and he assured me that this was the case and he would be able to get it working. Do they even know the real story about this? Who's right?

An extra $2 guaranteed from every customer is a huge deal for a subscription service, and it looks like you don't allow any modem that a typical person would be able to find in department stores (Walmart, target, bestbuy etc. I've looked at them all). The only rational explanation given that they're DOCSIS 2/3 compatible; some of which are only slightly neutered versions of the ones that are allowed, is that the company has interests in people renting their modems. True or not, this is how it seems, after investing the time to search for something that's compatible with this network.

I'm not going to talk more about this yet for the very reason I have stated above. Sorry. When we're ready the list will be made available to you and everyone else. Thanks for being patient.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

AnnonBH

@sunwave.com.br

I'm a huge SB6121 advocate. This has got to be the best cable modem I have ever had, stable plenty fast. I'm currently using my own purchased SB6121 on BH Turbo. When I called to activate it all they asked me for was my MAC address 5 minutes later my SB6121 was online and kicking butt. They didn't even ask me the make and model or say anything about "The Approved Modems List". My Question is this , Does BH have different protocols for different service areas when it comes to customer owned modems ? Or am I just lucky my local BH office allowed me to use my own SB6121 ?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by AnnonBH :

I'm a huge SB6121 advocate. This has got to be the best cable modem I have ever had, stable plenty fast. I'm currently using my own purchased SB6121 on BH Turbo. When I called to activate it all they asked me for was my MAC address 5 minutes later my SB6121 was online and kicking butt. They didn't even ask me the make and model or say anything about "The Approved Modems List". My Question is this , Does BH have different protocols for different service areas when it comes to customer owned modems ? Or am I just lucky my local BH office allowed me to use my own SB6121 ?

Up until recently each had their own guidelines...that is being standardized right now upon which a universal list and process will apply to all.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

XenithOrb
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
reply to AnnonBH

In otherwords, get ready to have to buy a new modem or accept their rental.
SB6121 doesn't look like it made the cut. Sorry bro.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by XenithOrb:

In otherwords, get ready to have to buy a new modem or accept their rental.
SB6121 doesn't look like it made the cut. Sorry bro.

The list hasn't been made available to anyone yet....stop assuming things please. I'll let you know when THE list is actually available and when. Thanks.
--

XenithOrb
Premium
Palm Coast, FL

I'm just going off being told to shove my SB6121 where the sun doesn't shine.

It's not your fault, there's nothing you can do about it. I am, in fact awaiting your list.

As for the guy currently running the SB6121; Is it speculatory to assume that he's going to be kicked off an not grandfathered in? Yeah it is. Unlikely? Probably not.

A lot of things seems to be up in the air about this right now anyway, so the possibilities are endless. Happy monday ispgeek!