how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

djbach

join:2012-06-28
Shelbyville, KY

[Other] and again...

I am a DirecTV satellite customer and yesterday there was an insight technician performing work on the back of the building of the townhouse unit that I live in, this is a 3 unit building and he was working on my next door neighbors townhouse. My wife and I were watching television in the living room when all of a sudden the satellite signal went out. I called DirecTV for technical support and in short determined that it was not a receiver box issue, instead it was a line issue. After I got off the phone with DirecTV I went outside to speak with the Insight technician who said he had done very little to some of the pre-existing lines already attached to the building. A cut here, a coupler there and a run of line to the neighbors unit. I insisted very politely that he had done something to one of the lines in my unit. He did not go back through and trace his steps or the lines he ran. After he packed up and left I was back on the phone and calling Insight who informed me that I would have to contact DirecTV and have them send out a repair technician and that their (Insight’s) damage claims department would reimburse me for the $49.95 that DirecTV is going to charge me for a repair call. This is ok with me, however, DirecTV cannot get a repair tech to me until Tuesday July 3rd! I called Insight back to inform them of this and to tell them that waiting a week for DirecTV’s repair tech is unacceptable and requested they send an Insight repair tech out to QC the work and repair any mistakes that the tech that was here earlier made. The representative I spoke with said someone from the damage claims department was working on the claim and would call me back shortly. After a while the damage claims representative did call me back and informed me, that because I am a DirecTV customer, that they cannot and will not send out an Insight repair tech to work on the lines I am sure he damaged. The line damaged is not a DirecTV line it is a pre-existing line that runs into my building that DirecTV had coupled in to. This is absolutely positively unacceptable. I requested that they at least send a supervisor to QC the techs work and affirm my claim, to which I was told they will not send anyone because I am a DirecTV customer.

I am, myself, an A/V tech and am well equipped with every tool and connector I need and the only thing keeping me from checking and repairing this man’s work, is the lack of an extension ladder – of which I could very easily procure. My wife was laid off of her job a year ago, I hold down two jobs so we can get by and we struggle just like many other people in our economic positions. I do not think that I should have to go behind insight and do their work, nor do I should have to put out extra money on my DirecTV bill just so Insight can reimburse me when they get around to it. I’m quite certain that they would be just as helpful in reimbursing me as they have been in QC’ing or repairing their own mistakes. I am at my wits end regarding this issue and need to know where to take it from this point.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

It sucks, but I have to side with insight here. You cannot expect them to "fix" anything that has to do with DirecTV. You should also be bitching to DirecTV on why it's going to take them until July 3rd to get a tech out there.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here

said by Rob:

It sucks, but I have to side with insight here. You cannot expect them to "fix" anything that has to do with DirecTV.

True in a sense. But Insight is the one that fucked up. They need to fix it, regardless of whether he is a customer or not. They don't necessarily need to do the actual fix, but they need to be held accountable. Which they appear to be willing to do since they have offered to reimburse him for the cost of the DirecTV truck roll.

The moral of this story is of course to never live in a townhome, or any other structure that shares a common wall.

wags

@frontiernet.net
reply to djbach

I had the same type of thing happen to me. A Comcrap tech was doing an install on the lower level apt. The installer had decided to yank a bunch of wires out of a cable entranct to the building, thus ripping my phone wires out. They refused to make any repairs of damage caused by their installers.

In the end I sued and won. Call a lawyer and/or take Insight to small claims court for the service interruption and repairs that you are still paying for.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

It sucks, but I have to side with insight here. You cannot expect them to "fix" anything that has to do with DirecTV. You should also be bitching to DirecTV on why it's going to take them until July 3rd to get a tech out there.

I find your position very strange. Insight caused the problem and the problem is not with DirecTV's equipment, it's with the buildings coax. Insight broke it, Insight should fix it, plain and simple!

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Msradell:

said by Rob:

I find your position very strange. Insight caused the problem and the problem is not with DirecTV's equipment, it's with the buildings coax. Insight broke it, Insight should fix it, plain and simple!

Insight is will reimburse the homeowner of the cost -- that's fair and the proper way to handle it.
--

Secyurityet
Premium
join:2012-01-07
untied state

1 recommendation

actually, the proper way to handle it is to use qualified installers to start with, who take responsibility for their screw-ups and fix mistakes on the spot.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Secyurityet:

actually, the proper way to handle it is to use qualified installers to start with, who take responsibility for their screw-ups and fix mistakes on the spot.

Oh yea? So if an electrician mistaken hits a gas line while running some new underground lines, you'd want him to fix your gas line? No. You'd want the gas company to fix it, and the electrician to pay any expenses that you may incur.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

Gas is not electricity.

Co-ax is co-ax.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by dave:

Gas is not electricity.

Co-ax is co-ax.

Coax isn't coax when it connects to different systems on both ends.

Besides, would you want the same company that screwed it up, who doesn't even maintain the lines, fix it? I wouldn't.
--

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

It would be illegal to return the favor and start cutting wires left and right trying to troubleshoot your problem.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Secyurityet

said by Secyurityet:

subcontractors are cheaper.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

said by dvd536:

said by Secyurityet:

and limit your liability...
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

said by AVD:

said by dvd536:

said by Secyurityet:

and limit your liability...

And increase your support costs by all the corners they cut.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

said by dvd536:

And increase your support costs by all the corners they cut.

which, as a utility, you can pass right through to the customers.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.