share rss forum feed

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

[Software] Visual Studio 2010

I'm at the point where I need to strongly consider purchasing VS2010 for my home use. Bottom line is that I can't play "wanna-be" developer anymore at work and get away with it. I'm getting put on some big projects that demand quality.

Tech stack at work for the upcoming work is VS2010 (C#) on top of SQL Server 2008 R2 (thank God, good riddance SQL2000). Maybe WPF for the UI elements... still in limbo.

Anyway, I know I can get 90 days of "free" time with VS2010 at home using the trial, but that's probably not enough, with my family, to get up to snuff.

Anyone know a great deal on VS2010 that's legal and not scamming? I'm not a student and I'm not a 501(c)(3) organization.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

siech0

join:2001-03-20
Warrensburg, MO
What about the VS 2010 Express?

»www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/e···/express

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
We're being directed to go towards test-driven development and I need unit testing, etc.

Thanks though!

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to drew
VS Professional use to be licensed such that the USER was the one licensed, not the installation. Or in other words, you can install the same software on both your work and home PCs since you can not be at both places at the same time. Obviously check with your company's IT department, manager, or whoever has the authority to say if you can use your copy at home.

Also if you have a MSDN subscription through work, you can get a copy that way as well.

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
cdru, I work for the DoD. That's a long, drawn out question to a bunch of people who don't know. As one component/Command without an official Telework policy... it's a tough sell.

There are three MSDN subscriptions in the department, they are used.

I know that VS Pro is licensed per user (had to convince them of that already), but there's a caveat in the white paper (or was it the EULA), that states that some products have a limited number of activations. It was not clear if VS Pro 2010 w/MSDN Essentials is in that category.

I appreciate your thoughts.
--

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
I can't speak for the latest version, but past MSDN versions have had the serial number baked into the installer. I've never had a problem installing it multiple times.

The white paper was probably referring to other software that comes with the MSDN subscription, such as versions of Windows, Office, etc.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to drew
MSDN is licensed per user for as many devices as that person needs to install on for dev and testing. If a dev box is mixed-use (work other than dev) then the base OS must be separately licensed, not one out of the MSDN pack. OTOH you can load an MSDN OS into as many pure dev/test VMs as you want. If you have Office in the pack you can install one copy of it for whatever you want to do with it.

My setup is a base VM with just the OS and VS that I keep on a DVD and then I clone that for projects. I also have a copy of VS on a real machine that I can use for quick and dirty stuff.

I've seen Pro w/MSDN on Amazon in the $800 range. You can probably score Pro without MSDN for $350-$400 on Amazon as well.

Keep in mind that 2012 RCs are out.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to drew
Still kicking this around...

The whitepaper at »www.microsoft.com/en-us/download···id=13350 details the per-user model pretty clearly..

said by page 16 :

For Visual Studio 2010 individual development tools (including those that are MSDN subscriptions), all of the following requirements apply to both the Visual Studio software and other software provided via MSDN—collectively called the “MSDN software” in this document.

(emphasis mine)
On that same page...

Any team member can install and use MSDN software on as many devices as they like. The license does not restrict where the device is located (at work, at home, at school, at a customer’s office, etc.). However, each user of that MSDN software must have an appropriate MSDN subscription.

(emphasis mine)

Does the second paragraph say "you can do it, so long as you're paying for a MSDN sub" or does it say "you can do it with the license for VS2010, but not the 'free' MSDN software unless you have a paying MSDN sub"?
--

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
You can install the free MSDN components on as many test machines as you want strictly for development and testing purposes only provided the user of that/those machines is covered by their own MSDN license (exception is Office, which the licensed user may install on a single machine for *any* use, not only dev; any additional installs are for dev/test only. This differs from the standard Office license that allows the user to install on a desktop and a laptop provided they are never used concurrently by different people.)

So, let's say you work for my company. We have 2 MSDN subs, 1 for each of us. Both of us have installed them on our machines and a few other real and virtual machines. Either of us can use any or all of those installs because each of us has a license. Along comes another guy who brings his own laptop but only has a standalone VS Pro license (no MSDN sub). He may use the same version of VS and MSDN components the standalone might install on our machines, but he may not use *any* of the components provided by MSDN that are not included in a standalone VS install, nor can our copies of MSDN be installed on his machine since we don't have a license for him. Now, if one of us left the company, that freed-up license can be reallocated to the other guy and he could the use the MSDN-specific stuff.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."