Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

msanta
FIOS

join:2005-05-30
Merrick, NY

How to configure wireless N capabilities of verizon N router

I have the new Actiontec revision I N router and all my N devices are connecting but the speeds are very slow. What do I have to configure to make the connections faster?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
How do you define very slow?

Have you verified your devices are connecting at N rates? I'm not sure how to in Windows (maybe network connection properties?), but on a Mac you can hold the Option key while clicking on the Airport icon in the menubar - look for Transmit Rate.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

msanta
FIOS

Merrick, NY
Thanks for that cool tip, my MacBook Pro connects using the N rate however the speed is awful like 5mbps

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

1 edit
said by msanta:

Thanks for that cool tip, my MacBook Pro connects using the N rate however the speed is awful like 5mbps

Be sure its 5mbps and not 5MBps or 5Mbps..I can't recall at the moment how mac posts the speed.

Test first next to the router then move away to the next room with your N device. N speeds drop off very quickly with distance and walls.

The more active devices there are the slower it will be, divide total bandwidth by number of active devices and account for distance impacts and your speed can drop pretty quickly especially if you are streaming video.

Totally forgot to tell you to disable all other wireless devices first. This will ensure you can baseline what you should get if all alone on the network.

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to msanta
I have two notebooks both with N cards.

One I am able to get 100 - 120 Mbps down the other I can only get 30 down yet I get 68 up. can't figure it out.
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292

danclan

Midlothian, VA
said by HardwareGeek:

I have two notebooks both with N cards.

One I am able to get 100 - 120 Mbps down the other I can only get 30 down yet I get 68 up. can't figure it out.

Unless they are identical hardware that's not unusual. Also antenna placement on the device plays a big part as well as driver support etc etc....Wireless devices are notoriously fickle things.

I've had the best success with 5GHz devices for speed due to less interference even over distances. It helps to if you have a WDS that talks on one band while listening on another....and there are other tricks.

Wireless users though on average should expect a fraction of the speed of wired devices.

msanta
FIOS

Merrick, NY

1 edit
reply to msanta
The Verizon tests shows my laptop's speed as 6.26Mbps, I thought that is all the same? The router is on the second floor by the front of the house, I am in the kitchen(rear of the house) with full signal strength. I have 3 ipads, 3 iphones, 2 MacBooks, 1 Dell(my wife's, go figure!). I know that Mbps=megabits per second and MBps= Megabytes per second which is a bigger unit.Unless the tests are inaccurate based on the fact I use a mac.
I just brought my macbook pro next to the router and the sppeds improved, however not as much as I expect them to be.they went from 6.26Mbps to 39Mbps and uploads were good 68Mbps.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
What speed do you get if you hardwire the Mac?

danclan

Midlothian, VA
reply to msanta
Full strength means little....There are so many variables with wireless that its nearly impossible to cross them all off which is why its best to test right next to the router and test your speed.

That will tell you what your max throughput will be from there any where else in the house will usually be less due to interference from objects between you and the router.

Speed of wireless is impacted by actual signal strength ( which is usually very different from the number of "bars"), drivers, age of the device and its configuration, antenna placement and interference from other wireless devices, phones, bluetooth devices and more so even interference from neighbors wireless devices and networks.

One thing i have found to work well is to use channel 11 as channel 1 and 6 tend to be defaults for most networks.

Good luck!

kes601

Virginia Beach, VA
reply to msanta
Just noticed you mentioned being in the kitchen, lots of things in kitchens can interfere with the signal, even just a running refrigerator.

My parents used to have this issue -- cable modem and a netgear router were in my dad's office and mom's iMac was in the eating area across from the kitchen. She was lucky to get a signal half the time. With my Macbook I'd have to position myself just right in the kitchen to get a signal. Finally replaced the netgear w/an Airport Extreme and all was good.

You might look into adding an Airport Extreme (or Express) and setting it up in bridge mode, plug into a LAN port on the Actiontec and you should be good to go. This is how I'm setup and it works great. I'm suggeting the Airport since you are mostly an Apple house.

msanta
FIOS

Merrick, NY

1 edit
reply to msanta
You bring a very important point here, I'll change the channel on the router to see if that makes a difference.Thanks for your tip.

msanta
FIOS

Merrick, NY

1 edit
reply to kes601
If I buy another wireless router then I can use the second router's wireless features instead of the Actiontec and disable the wireless on the Actiontec, correct? I can do what you suggested with any router? All I want to do with the second router would be for wireless access. I have the triple play so I need the verizon router for all my features, I don't want to loose them, all I want is to be able to connect faster to the internet using a wireless router that provides me with better speed.

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
said by msanta:

If I buy another wireless router then I can use the second router's wireless features instead of the Actiontec and disable the wireless on the Actiontec, correct? I can do what you suggested with any router? All I want to do with the second router would be for wireless access. I have the triple play so I need the verizon router for all my features, I don't want to loose them, all I want is to be able to connect faster to the internet using a wireless router that provides me with better speed.

Use TrendNet Easy-N Upgrader TEW-637AP. I have wireless disabled on the Actiontec Rev I & have this doing the wireless for my condo.

»www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF ··· zq4k1d_e

kes601

Virginia Beach, VA
reply to msanta
Correct, the second router would act as only a wifi access point. I can't speak for the trendnet device that miamigrad linked to, I do know my Airport Extreme works great. Just have to make sure and set it up as a bridge (option during the setup) and plug into LAN port of the Actiontec.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
·ooma
reply to msanta
I have a Revision I Actiontec and a few of the TrendNet TEW-637AP access points in my house to provide proper wireless saturation.

They are great units, especially if you can score them on the cheap side when they are on sale.

Many users of this forum run these. Newegg and other places put them on-sale from time to time for under $30. Current prices are around $45.

As far as the Actiontec goes, I have found that selecting AES encryption yields better performance as opposed to selecting the TKIP and AES option.

My device is set to WPA2, AES, and I even have it in Compatibility mode (B/G/N) because we have some older devices.

I get 35 down, 28 up from both laptops and my Android phone on my 35/35 service.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

floridafuzz
Premium
join:2008-02-23
Hope, RI
reply to msanta
I am also using a TEW-637AP and a Rosewill RNX-N180UBE antenna for an older laptop that didn't support N speeds. I have my TEW-637AP set up with a static IP address (Thank you More Fiber) connected directly to my Actiontec with CAT-5E. I updated the firmware from the Trendnet website also and the connection is rock solid 100% all the time to my laptop via wireless. I love this unit.

msanta
FIOS

Merrick, NY
reply to msanta
How difficult is to configure the Actiontec and the third party router? Is this what's called bridge?

msanta
FIOS

Merrick, NY
reply to msanta
I finally decided to purchase the Netgear WNDR4500 to improve my wireless range and speed. I connected it LAN to LAN, gave it a static ip address and disabled DHCP. I did change the range of ip's for the DHCP in the Actiontec so that there were no conflicts with duplicate ip addresses. Interesting to know that because this router has dual frequencies, old devices like iphones and other old laptops connect to the router with the 2.4Ghz frequency while newer devices like ipads and my MacPro connect using the 5ghz frequency, which is much faster. Anyhow, the only issue i haven't been able to resolve yet is why my Mac Pro's Airport Extreme card connects to the wireless router fine and shows the provisioned speeds(150/65) while the Macbook pro and my wife's dell connect using the 5Ghz frequency but with half the download speed, the upload speeds are fine, it's just the downloads. Any suggestions?