spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gerard1234

join:2012-04-03

Enforcement of the 250 GB data consumption is suspended.

Found this on my account page: Enforcement of the 250 GB data consumption threshold is suspended.

GmDude66

join:2007-09-09
York, PA
Upon viewing source of page I find this:

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
GM what did you find? Nothing was posted in your post.

GmDude66

join:2007-09-09
York, PA

1 edit
DIV ID tags saying about "DMCANotification"

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
reply to Gerard1234
Disregard. I understand now. Don't mind me ..it's been a very long week.

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT
reply to Gerard1234
I see the same notice. I suspect it is in reaction to the inquiry into the caps anti-competitive behavior.
--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
I wonder if in my area they are going to raise it to 300 GB p/m then charge overage fees? I'm not too worried as the most I have ever used is 120 gigs. My family averages about 60 to 100 GBs p/m.

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by YukonHawk:

I wonder if in my area they are going to raise it to 300 GB p/m then charge overage fees? I'm not too worried as the most I have ever used is 120 gigs. My family averages about 60 to 100 GBs p/m.

I believe they will do that everywhere.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
I still have no regrets getting business class.

earletp

join:2004-02-03
PDX
reply to Gerard1234
More information posted, from last month...

»[BW Meter] Comcast to Replace Usage Cap

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to Gerard1234
Yep I see it too

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Same here. Yay! I won't get any call if I go over 250!

spazychicken

join:2004-01-08
Alpharetta, GA
reply to Gerard1234
Man, I picked a good time to sign up for online backup services through Backblaze.

My initial backup is about 320 GB and is almost complete. My Comcast usage meter shows 515GB as of today.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
You certainly did. Be glad enforcement is suspended for now. at 515GB and more to go, you'd be very lucky if you didn't get a call. Enjoy it while it lasts I guess. I'll be about 300 myself when it resets tomorrow night.

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Wheaton, IL
reply to Gerard1234
I now have the same message on my account page, but it still shows how much bandwidth I've used. Does this mean that it will show me if I use 5 terabytes, but they won't care? (Sarcasm for dramatic effect) Any idea on how long this will last.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to Chris 313
Well, I wouldn't go getting too crazy with data usage though, as on the FAQs page (»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ive-use/ ) about the suspension it says:

Q. Does this mean you're going to stop cutting people off who exceed your cap?
A. Effective immediately, we are suspending enforcement of our current data usage cap and we will launch trials of new data usage approaches, although we will continue to contact the very small number of excessive users about their usage, which can be indicative of security or related issues.

Not sure how much data you'd have to use now to be labeled an "excessive user."

aabaaf

Wheaton, IL
Probably TB's like I said. If you're still within the GB's, maybe 1 TB, you're ok.

aabaaf

Wheaton, IL
Would be nice to know the area's where they're trying 250 GB for lowest tiers and then graduating up as tiers go up, and those that will be 300 GB set for all tiers. I know it says 50 GB more for $10 more per month, but again wonder how many 50 GB bump ups they'd allow you. One of the ISP's only allowed like 100 GB extra & then they started. Chicago market here.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
reply to telcodad
Yeah. I'm not planning to go too crazy with the enforcement suspended. Maybe 300-320. That is if I get that far before tomorrow resets it. I will, however make use of my full 250GB by tomorrow night. I'm at about 227 combined right now.

spazychicken

join:2004-01-08
Alpharetta, GA
Me too. I'm not torrenting and pulling from newsgroups 24/7. It is just the initial Backblaze backup. My normal usage is around 150 GB/month.

I had actually planned on seeding the initial backup over 2-3 months to avoid cap issues, but after the enforcement was stopped, I decided to go for it.

I'll return to my near my normal usage next month.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by spazychicken:

Me too. I'm not torrenting and pulling from newsgroups 24/7. It is just the initial Backblaze backup. My normal usage is around 150 GB/month.

I had actually planned on seeding the initial backup over 2-3 months to avoid cap issues, but after the enforcement was stopped, I decided to go for it.

I'll return to my near my normal usage next month.

Yeah. My normal is anywhere from 180-220GB/month typically. And depending what Comcast comes up with cap wise for later, I'll ensure I do whatever to get my limit and if I go over and am charged more, I'll do more to get my money's worth.

Mine was E3 this month and a buttload of Netflix streaming

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to aabaaf
If you do 5 TB I'd love to see a screenshot of the meter.

nhgames1010

join:2004-12-01
Lake Worth, FL
reply to Gerard1234
I noticed this as well on my account just now. So what does this mean for all of us?

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to Gerard1234
The meter disappeared from my account, leaving only the message box saying the cap enforcement is suspended.

Edit: I guess it's time to have a little fun.

Edit 2: Nevermind, I have my meter back. LOL, I forget it's the end of the month.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to Gerard1234
Let the bandwidth hogs rejoice. I expect thank-you notes in the mail since I'm subsidizing your heavy usage, much of which I'll bet is fishy. Maybe to achieve the same effect as a cap they should target that suspicious activity directly, thereby sparing the few LEGITIMATE heavy users.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09

1 recommendation

Kinda funny how nobody talks about "subsidizing heavy users" in the fios forum.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to ctggzg
define "legitimate".

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ctggzg
said by ctggzg:

Let the bandwidth hogs rejoice. I expect thank-you notes in the mail since I'm subsidizing your heavy usage, much of which I'll bet is fishy.

I cannot agree with you at all, even though I have never exceeded the 250GB cap. I don't understand your claim that "bandwidth hogs" are "subsidized" by your connection. There is no evidence, at all, that there is a bandwidth crises beyond the marketing claims of the providers. Who, it has to be understood, are the prime beneficiaries of such claims. It is Smoke and Mirrors plain and simple.

The reason behind such claims of bandwidth depletion are pure-and-simple reactions to legitimate competition. They don't want you to go to other, useful, services that compete with their legacy services. And, because they are the Gatekeepers, they think they have the right (and certainly the ability) to block competitors. This is NOT what we want or need as consumers. Active competition as GOOD. And not only for us but for technology as a whole, some innovators my fail, some may survive, but to artificially FAIL some because a legacy incumbent chooses to squash them is against the public interest.

But back to the topic... if Comcast can provide exhibits that "bandwidth hogs" are causing ACTUAL HARM then I will accept the caps/overages. But, to my knowledge, they have not and cannot provided any such justification.

To my mind it is a simple cash grab "because they can" ...
--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
Depends on the area I suppose.

Here, Comcast has four-plus bonded downstreams per node and two or three bonded upstreams (a friend who just re-switched-on his service on an SB6121 got 3 upstream, and he's 1.5 miles away from me). That's not a ton of capacity, but it's plenty enough that I've never seen slowdowns due to load.

This is from someone who, for the last few months, has consistently broken 250GB. I also pay $115/mo for 50/15...stop whining about you subsidizing me because I'm probably paying more per GB than you are even with the 758GB I transferred in May. Or the 293 I transferred in June (which by the way will be below the new cap). Or the 406GB I transferred in April.

Thing is, most of those GBs were not during peak hours (so no detriment to the last mile network). Many were on the upload side, which, granted, has less capacity, but the upload volume has dropped significantly since I finished seeding my external drive to Backblaze (my internal got seeded awhile ago).

On the backbone level, many of the sites that I connect to...that I download a fair amount of data from...are directly connected to Comcast or peer with Comcast through their host etc. Netflix's CDN connects directly with Comcast (so Comcast is probably being paid from that end for access), and Backblaze's upstream uses Cogent (which I guarantee you is doing settlement-free peering with Comcast these days) to connect to me. If you're in Florida and aren't using Backblaze, that traffic never mixes with yours (unless, somehow, said traffic runs over Cogent through Las Vegas), so I'm not in the slightest impacting anyone else's Internet performance, something that the caps are ostensibly designed to prevent.

Even though I'm moving to an area without Comcast (going to love unlimited data transfer on my upcoming TWC connection, though 5 Mbps uploads for the moment will be a letdown) I'm looking forward to when Comcast institutes a higher, harder cap, preferably starting at 300GB (which they will do no matter what) and increasing with higher tiers (my bet is that Blast will end up at 400-500GB and Extreme will sit in the 500-750 range). That way anyone whining about residential users subsidizing other residential users can...well...shut up, because the heavier users will be apying more some way (higher tier and/or overage fees).

Comcast's network has limited capacity on the last mile. I get that. But between 2008 and now Comcast has rolled out DOCSIS 3, with 4+ downstreams and 2+ upstreams per (smallish) node, to most of their footprint. They've driven harder bargains with upstream providers and anyone who pushes a lot of data onto their network from the other side. They've reclaimed analog channels so they have more room for Internet. The result is probably a 4x capacity improvement over four years ago on the downstream side, and at least a 4x improvement on the upload side.

So, do I feel like I've abused Comcast by pushing 750GB over my 50/15 connection? Nope. I figure they'd rather have me doing that and paying as much as their average triple-play customer (except I don't rent any equipment from them, so they have way less support to do on that end) than paying half as much, using one-eighth as much data, and calling twice a month due to issues with either their rental equipment or my non-power-user...uh...silly questions.

nhgames1010

join:2004-12-01
Lake Worth, FL
reply to Oedipus
My meter restarted and it says I used 6 GB for July. But at the same time it says "threshold is currently suspended."