Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

verix

join:2004-12-30
Oakland, CA
reply to Gerard1234

Re: Enforcement of the 250 GB data consumption is suspended.

Heads up: three more days until the suspension is probably lifted.

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by verix:

Heads up: three more days until the suspension is probably lifted.

Who said that? There is no word yet on what they will do. Currently, one market is trialing the 300GB with $10 per 50GB overage, but no word on that spreading yet.

verix

join:2004-12-30
Oakland, CA

Whoops! I thought they had used the word "July" in that one-line notice but upon checking, was mistaken. All is well.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

1 recommendation

What is starting on August 1st is a trial of a new data usage plan in the Nashville market, with a 300GB threshold and each additional 50GB block above that costing $10 each, as was discussed in this previous thread: »New bandwidth plan in Nashville

There is an article about this trial on the Light Reading Cable site today:

Comcast Turns On Usage-Based Broadband
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - July 30, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable

Comcast will also trial, in some other market, a tier-varying usage plan that has increasing data caps for different HSI tiers.

sava700

join:2005-03-08
united state

said by telcodad:

What is starting on August 1st is a trial of a new data usage plan in the Nashville market, with a 300GB threshold and each additional 50GB block above that costing $10 each, as was discussed in this previous thread: »New bandwidth plan in Nashville

There is an article about this trial on the Light Reading Cable site today:

Comcast Turns On Usage-Based Broadband
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - July 30, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable

Comcast will also trial, in some other market, a tier-varying usage plan that has increasing data caps for different HSI tiers.

I can tolerate this some what but 300 is still not enough, it should be 500.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

said by sava700:

I can tolerate this some what but 300 is still not enough, it should be 500.

Yes, agreed.

It will be interesting to see what Comcast sets the progressive data allowances at for the tier-varying usage plan. I'm figuring that the (recently upgraded in NE US) Blast tier (50/10) will be given at least a 500GB allowance.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

better yet
nocap
there is no reason for one...

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by JigglyWiggly:

better yet
nocap
there is no reason for one...

True. The caps exists because ISPs don't want to invest in their infrastructure to prevent last mile saturation. The practice of over-subbing nodes is not sustainable.

ViRGEdx

join:2002-10-25
reply to Gerard1234

Speaking of Nashville, is Comcast still going to be trialing the other proposed plan (300GB with higher caps for customers on higher tiers), or is this it?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

As was previously mentioned in this thread, Comcast will be also trialing, in some other, yet-to-be-announced market, a tier-varying usage allowance plan.

See: »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···aunching

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Gerard1234

Click for full size
Looks like they made some changes this month. Now they show how much you've used but they don't tell you out of how much. Not even a percentage.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by Alcohol:

Looks like they made some changes this month. Now they show how much you've used but they don't tell you out of how much. Not even a percentage.

Out of how much what? A percentage of what?

Are you expecting to see Comcast'e estimate of how much you could possibly download if (like some user who post here) you are trying to download the entire Internet?
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by NetFixer:

said by Alcohol:

Are you expecting to see Comcast'e estimate of how much you could possibly download if (like some user who post here) you are trying to download the entire Internet?

Uhh. What are you talking about? They changed the way the graph looks and the information it shows.

All you have to do is look at how it was previously (up until yesterday).

Here's a screenshot from above to make it easy for you to see the difference

»/r0/download/2···tled.png

Do you see it now or do i have to put big arrows?

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Ok, I have to ask Alcohol See Profile.....the 2nd picture that you posted shows that you have used 31 GB for August. According to the time stamp on your post (13:03), that was about 41 minutes ago.

Based on your location, you are an hour ahead of me. So, August is only 14 hours and 46 minutes old for you (going from Midnight).

What could you have done in under 15 hours to have used 31 GB!?!?!?!

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

Assuming you're asking to make a point and not just because you're curious, I don't see how that's any of your concern.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Well, it does not have to be specific files, just general info would be good.

Like they could come back and say "On the 1st of the month I update my cloud backup, which is 31 gb in size", and I would be "Ok thanks".

It just shocked me is all to see that much used when August is not even 24 hours old yet.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

said by NetFixer:

said by Alcohol:

Uhh. What are you talking about? They changed the way the graph looks and the information it shows.

All you have to do is look at how it was previously (up until yesterday).

Here's a screenshot from above to make it easy for you to see the difference

[charts not displayed in this quote]

Do you see it now or do i have to put big arrows?

Since your profile does not identify you as being a resident of the Nashville, TN area (the only location to currently have a bandwidth cap), what percentage of no bandwidth cap do you expect to see displayed on the Comcast usage chart?
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to plencnerb

said by plencnerb:

Ok, I have to ask Alcohol See Profile.....the 2nd picture that you posted shows that you have used 31 GB for August. According to the time stamp on your post (13:03), that was about 41 minutes ago.

Based on your location, you are an hour ahead of me. So, August is only 14 hours and 46 minutes old for you (going from Midnight).

What could you have done in under 15 hours to have used 31 GB!?!?!?!

--Brian

Uploaded wedding pics to skydrive (overnight). It was 24GB of professional photos. Also streamed 2 netflix movies last night which i guess was considered August.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

Since your profile does not identify you as being a resident of the Nashville, TN area (the only location to currently have a bandwidth cap), what percentage of no bandwidth cap do you expect to see displayed on the Comcast usage chart?

There is a bar that shows 31GB being certain percent full. There is no indication of how much the full bar is as there is no percent or total given.
Comcast isn't enforcing the 250GB limit right now because they're working on increasing it to 300GB or something similar. There is another thread where the comcast VIP made it official (along with comcast blog). I suggest you read that if you're still confused.
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by Alcohol:

said by NetFixer:

Not sure if trolling or just confused, but there is a bar that shows 31GB being certain percent full. There is no indication of how much the full bar is as there is no percent or total given.
Comcast isn't enforcing the 250GB limit right now because they're working on increasing it to 300GB or something similar. There is another thread where the comcast VIP made it official (along with comcast blog). I suggest you read that if you're still confused.

One of us is certainly confused.

Here is a repost of the usage chart you put in your original post:

Your original posted image

If you see any see any bar that shows 31GB being certain percent full I would appreciate you highlighting it and reposting that image in order to enlighten me on what I am not seeing.

And FYI, my reference to Nashville, TN and the bandwidth cap is because Comcast is indeed enforcing the bandwidth cap around here. From this site's front page: »Comcast Offers Details On New Cap in Nashville
--

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by NetFixer:

said by Alcohol:

said by NetFixer:

Not sure if trolling or just confused, but there is a bar that shows 31GB being certain percent full. There is no indication of how much the full bar is as there is no percent or total given.

One of us is certainly confused.

Here is a repost of the usage chart you put in your original post:

If you see any see any bar that shows 31GB being certain percent full I would appreciate you highlighting it and reposting that image in order to enlighten me on what I am not seeing.

And FYI, my reference to Nashville, TN and the bandwidth cap is because Comcast is indeed enforcing the bandwidth cap around here. From this site's front page: »Comcast Offers Details On New Cap in Nashville

Hope this helps

--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by Alcohol:

Hope this helps [att=1]

Nope, nowhere in either the original or your annotated image do I see any reference to a percentage of anything. Exactly how do you expect to see Comcast display your usage as a percentage of infinity?
--
Expand your moderator at work

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Gerard1234

Re: Enforcement of the 250 GB data consumption is suspended.

said by Gerard1234:

Found this on my account page: Enforcement of the 250 GB data consumption threshold is suspended.

I would guess the bar is 250GB
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ

I came across this page, not sure if anyone else already posted it. »datacalculator.comcast.net/index.html

bigkingsfan

join:2001-11-16
Antelope, CA

What a dumb estimate, 10-12 MB files being large.

sabretooth

join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA
reply to Gerard1234

Wow 501GB, Comcast will make an extra $50 that month off you. As far as the sliding meter goes, basically irrelevant. Probably a non linear scale just for visuals.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

As a point of reference, Mediacom has just put into effect a tier-varying data usage allowance plan that applies to all new customers (and also available to any existing ones who want to opt in for it): »Confirmed: Mediacom Starts Charging Overages

Mediacom's data usage allowances are set up as follows:

3 Mbps "Launch" tier - 150GB
12-15 Mbps "Prime" tiers - 250GB
20 Mbps "Prime Plus" tier - 350GB
50 & 105 Mbps "Ultra" and "Ultra Plus" tiers - 999GB

User's will then be charged $10 per 50GB if they exceed their allowances.