join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol

Re: Enforcement of the 250 GB data consumption is suspended.

said by Alcohol:

said by NetFixer:

Since your profile does not identify you as being a resident of the Nashville, TN area (the only location to currently have a bandwidth cap), what percentage of no bandwidth cap do you expect to see displayed on the Comcast usage chart?

Not sure if trolling or just confused, but there is a bar that shows 31GB being certain percent full. There is no indication of how much the full bar is as there is no percent or total given.
Comcast isn't enforcing the 250GB limit right now because they're working on increasing it to 300GB or something similar. There is another thread where the comcast VIP made it official (along with comcast blog). I suggest you read that if you're still confused.

One of us is certainly confused.

Here is a repost of the usage chart you put in your original post:

Your original posted image

If you see any see any bar that shows 31GB being certain percent full I would appreciate you highlighting it and reposting that image in order to enlighten me on what I am not seeing.

And FYI, my reference to Nashville, TN and the bandwidth cap is because Comcast is indeed enforcing the bandwidth cap around here. From this site's front page: »Comcast Offers Details On New Cap in Nashville [148] comments

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

1 recommendation

Alcohol

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

said by Alcohol:

said by NetFixer:

Since your profile does not identify you as being a resident of the Nashville, TN area (the only location to currently have a bandwidth cap), what percentage of no bandwidth cap do you expect to see displayed on the Comcast usage chart?

Not sure if trolling or just confused, but there is a bar that shows 31GB being certain percent full. There is no indication of how much the full bar is as there is no percent or total given.
Comcast isn't enforcing the 250GB limit right now because they're working on increasing it to 300GB or something similar. There is another thread where the comcast VIP made it official (along with comcast blog). I suggest you read that if you're still confused.

One of us is certainly confused.

Here is a repost of the usage chart you put in your original post:

If you see any see any bar that shows 31GB being certain percent full I would appreciate you highlighting it and reposting that image in order to enlighten me on what I am not seeing.

And FYI, my reference to Nashville, TN and the bandwidth cap is because Comcast is indeed enforcing the bandwidth cap around here. From this site's front page: »Comcast Offers Details On New Cap in Nashville [148] comments

Hope this helps

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Alcohol:

Hope this helps [att=1]

Nope, nowhere in either the original or your annotated image do I see any reference to a percentage of anything. Exactly how do you expect to see Comcast display your usage as a percentage of infinity?
Expand your moderator at work

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Gerard1234

Premium Member

to Gerard1234

Re: Enforcement of the 250 GB data consumption is suspended.

said by Gerard1234:

Found this on my account page: Enforcement of the 250 GB data consumption threshold is suspended.

I would guess the bar is 250GB

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I came across this page, not sure if anyone else already posted it. »datacalculator.comcast.n ··· dex.html
bigkingsfan
join:2001-11-16
Antelope, CA

bigkingsfan

What a dumb estimate, 10-12 MB files being large.
sabretooth
join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA

sabretooth to Gerard1234

to Gerard1234
Wow 501GB, Comcast will make an extra $50 that month off you. As far as the sliding meter goes, basically irrelevant. Probably a non linear scale just for visuals.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

As a point of reference, Mediacom has just put into effect a tier-varying data usage allowance plan that applies to all new customers (and also available to any existing ones who want to opt in for it): »Confirmed: Mediacom Starts Charging Overages [74] comments

Mediacom's data usage allowances are set up as follows:

3 Mbps "Launch" tier - 150GB
12-15 Mbps "Prime" tiers - 250GB
20 Mbps "Prime Plus" tier - 350GB
50 & 105 Mbps "Ultra" and "Ultra Plus" tiers - 999GB

User's will then be charged $10 per 50GB if they exceed their allowances.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

Robert to Gerard1234

Premium Member

to Gerard1234
With the suspension, there's some users who are going full throttle and downloading everything they can.

.. So in case anyone wonders why Comcast won't eliminate the cap, we can see why.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to Gerard1234

Premium Member

to Gerard1234
What about those who got kicked off Comcast for going over 250GB, what is Comcast doing for those people?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Madtown:

What about those who got kicked off Comcast for going over 250GB, what is Comcast doing for those people?

Probably the same thing they did for those who got booted for going over the previous invisible cap. After their suspension period expires, they can get reconnected.

Not really that different than when some previously criminal activity is suddenly declared to no longer be a crime. Such changes in law are not always retroactive, and those convicted prior the the change sometimes remain in jail until their conviction term expires.

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

Ultibeam to Gerard1234

to Gerard1234
We're back to the old days of no defined cap but if you cause congestion you'll get warned or suspended.
bradbn4
join:2006-09-07
Colorado Springs, CO

bradbn4

I was talking to the service Tec when registering my new modem after a lightning strike - the current "guess" is that there will be a 10 gig per day limit.

Or that amount could be rolled up based on the number of days per month.
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr

Premium Member

said by bradbn4:

I was talking to the service Tec when registering my new modem after a lightning strike - the current "guess" is that there will be a 10 gig per day limit.

I highly doubt there will be a per day limit and nothing has indicated this... sounds like pure speculation.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to JigglyWiggly

Premium Member

to JigglyWiggly
said by JigglyWiggly:

better yet
nocap
there is no reason for one...

You are right
No Cap on fees!
there is no reason for one...
you heard it here first JW wants NO CAPs ever.
DJboutit
join:2009-12-10
Columbia, MO

DJboutit to Gerard1234

to Gerard1234
I do not think they are monitoring data use much they are now trying to catch bit torrent users

»torrentfreak.com/isp-six ··· -120803/

nei1
Premium Member
join:2005-08-13
Nashville, NC

nei1

Premium Member

Catch us for what? It's not stealing, it's sharing. Not that enforcement of any alleged infraction is the purvue of comcast, anyway.

Feel free to respond, although I'll take any response as your personal conjecture, anyway, as most of this thread has been populated. By.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to Gerard1234

MVM

to Gerard1234
I would have hoped by now that folks understand that this is a never-ending gripe.

I will probably never be on the long end of a usage cap...I simply do not utilize a massive amount of data, even though I am constantly on line, so caps mean little to me.

However, I absolutely understand the point of view from those who do download/upload large amounts of data. A family that is active with gaming, streaming movies, music, etc. can eat up a 250 - 300 gb cap.

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that there should be a middle ground. How about at any given speed tier, a "normal" and a "heavy user's" rate, say perhaps a $5 to $10 a month premium that provides either no caps, or at least very generous ones?

The ISP still will make out well financially, while the end user has a reasonable, realistic fee. IMHO, it would simplify this area, and end or at least greatly reduce customer ire about caps. Those few, and it really is a minority, that want/need greater headroom to download/upload would have a clear, no-nonsense option.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

As mentioned in the news article »Exclusive: Some Comcast Users Will See 500 GB Cap [116] comments today, starting on October 1st, Comcast will be trialing a tier-varying usage allowance plan in the Tucson market:

»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· aunching
and
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· s-tucson

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

1 recommendation

Alcohol

Premium Member

I could live with 500GB for blast but apparently the trial is 350GB which is unacceptable.
neil0311
join:2005-07-24
Marietta, GA

neil0311 to Gerard1234

to Gerard1234
What about Ultra? I've been on the 22/5 tier. Do we get switched to Blast automatically?

foofoo222
@comcast.net

foofoo222

Anon

Straight from Comcast. Updated 9/5/2012 6:19:23 AM by Comcast Expert

Introduction

Frequently asked questions about excessive use of data.

What are the different plans you will be launching?

We'll be launching at least two approaches, and here is an overview:

In the Nashville market, we will increase our data usage allowance for all tiers to 300 GB per month and also offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks (e.g., $10 per 50 GB).

In the Tucson market, we will increase our data usage allowance for XFINITY Internet customers subscribing to the Economy tier through the Performance tier from 250 GB to 300 GB. In addition, those customers subscribed to the Blast! tier will receive an increase to 350 GB, those subscribed to Extreme 50 will be increased to 450 GB, and those subscribed to Extreme 105 will be increased to 600 GB (see table below).

XFINITY Internet Package - New Data Usage Allowance

Economy 300 GB

Economy Plus 300 GB

Internet Essentials 300 GB

Performance Starter 300 GB

Performance 300 GB

Blast 350 GB

Extreme 50 450 GB

Extreme 105 600 GB

In both approaches, we'll be increasing the initial data usage allowance for our customers from 250 GB per month to at least 300 GB per month.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by foofoo222 :

Got a link / docs to something official ?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by EG:

said by foofoo222 :

Got a link / docs to something official ?

lol google the text you quoted, and find it!

»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· aunching

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Thanks but it's not my job. Proper *netiquette* and tradition point to it being a poster's responsibility to provide corroborating evidence (typically a link).