spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ipv6
@comcast.net

ipv6

Anon

[IPv6] netgear wnr1000v2 ipv6 bug?

The router is getting both WAN and LAN ipv6 addresses through DHCP and is assigning ipv6 addresses and dns to windows 7 laptops but none of the laptops connected through wifi are able to access ipv6 sites. Trying to ping ipv6.google.com for example gives the error destination unreachable. I also noticed that the default router in windows is set to the link local addresses of the netgear router and keeps disapearing and re-apearing at random. Also I cannot ping the lan or wan ipv6 addresses of the router.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Try asking on the NetGear forum ?

ipv6
@comcast.net

ipv6 to ipv6

Anon

to ipv6
I found the problem.

The Comcast supplied WNR1000V2 issues a default gateway link local ipv6 address (fe80) to wireless hosts (windows, mac, linux) instead of the global routable ipv6 LAN address.

The solution is to manually add the correct LAN global ipv6 address as the default gateway.

Comcast needs to fix this.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by ipv6 :

The solution is to manually add the correct LAN global ipv6 address as the default gateway.

Interesting. FWIW, I haven't had to do that with this router.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to ipv6

to ipv6
I doubt they would but I hope they do even though I don't have one of their routers.

ipv6
@comcast.net

ipv6 to EG

Anon

to EG
"Interesting. FWIW, I haven't had to do that with this router."

I'm on firmware 1.2.2.56NAS. What firmware are you using where it works for you?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by ipv6 :

I'm on firmware 1.2.2.56NAS. What firmware are you using where it works for you?

I have not seen that problem either, and I also have the Comcast supplied WNR1000v2-VC with firmware 1.2.2.56NAS. However, Comcast does not yet have native IPv6 at my location, and I have to use the Comcast 6to4 relay, so perhaps that is the difference. Maybe EG is also using the 6to4 relay?

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

I have the same firmware load and I am not using a "relay". I have a native addy.

ipv6
@comcast.net

ipv6 to EG

Anon

to EG

Try disabling the tunnel adapters: teredo, isatap, 6to4 and let us know if you still have ipv6 access to the internet. There is a possibility that although you have native ipv6 available that windows 7 is using a tunnel for access to the ipv6 internet.
ipv6

ipv6 to EG

Anon

to EG
"I have the same firmware load and I am not using a "relay". I have a native addy."

Trying to access ipv6.google.com works on 2 iphones, 1 android phone, 1 mac at the house. This appears to only be an issue with my windows 7 laptop.

The only change ipv6 related I made to this laptop was to disable teredo, isatap and 6to4 since I have native ipv6 at the house.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Been there, done that.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to ipv6

to ipv6
said by ipv6 :

I found the problem.

The Comcast supplied WNR1000V2 issues a default gateway link local ipv6 address (fe80) to wireless hosts (windows, mac, linux) instead of the global routable ipv6 LAN address.

That is not the problem. That is expected behavior. There is nothing for Comcast to "fix".

ipv6
@comcast.net

ipv6

Anon

"That is not the problem. That is expected behavior."

The assigned default gateway being the link local address of the router appears to be correct per Microsoft documentation.

"There is nothing for Comcast to "fix"."

Do you have any proof to backup this claim?

From my testing with iphone ios 5.1.1, android 2.3, osx lion, win7 all have intermittent connectivity problems due to the gateway entry just vanishing where the router has to be rebooted to get ipv6 working again. I replaced the router 3 times with the same result.

This router was listed in the Comcast approved ipv6 routers list. They pulled it out of the list. I wonder why? Could it be because of the above?
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by ipv6 :

"There is nothing for Comcast to "fix"."

Do you have any proof to backup this claim?

From my testing with iphone ios 5.1.1, android 2.3, osx lion, win7 all have intermittent connectivity problems due to the gateway entry just vanishing where the router has to be rebooted to get ipv6 working again. I replaced the router 3 times with the same result.

This router was listed in the Comcast approved ipv6 routers list. They pulled it out of the list. I wonder why? Could it be because of the above?

To be clear what I meant was there was nothing for Comcast to fix regarding the type of address being assigned for the default route (link-local address vs unicast address). Whether the router firmware is buggy is another question. That sounds like a bug with the routers Router Advertisement daemon.

ipv6
@comcast.net

ipv6

Anon

It's fixed. I reinstalled firmware 1.2.2.56. Erased router config. Reconfigured router.

I also was able to get the win7 laptop to work without adding the global ipv6 gateway by allowing core networking firewall rules.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by ipv6 :

It's fixed. I reinstalled firmware 1.2.2.56. Erased router config. Reconfigured router.

I also was able to get the win7 laptop to work without adding the global ipv6 gateway by allowing core networking firewall rules.

Yep, there is a reason that Netgear recommends doing a factory default reset before installing different firmware.

I forgot to do that when I initially installed this firmware version, and it caused me to have problems connecting to PPTP VPN servers (but the factory default reset followed by a manual reconfig fixed that problem).