share rss forum feed

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Cable Wrapped Around Power Line (again)

Click for full size
I have been having this problem since my internet has been installed. And pretty much nothing is being done about it.

The cable coming from the pole across the street continues to get wrapped around the power line coming to my property. It seems it doesn't take much of a good wind to do this.

Comcast comes out and says there is nothing they can do. The power company comes out and says its Comcast's problem, but they do get the cable unraveled, then leave. Comcast just lets it be all wrapped up and leaves.

I have had both companies out twice already.
Once again it is wrapped up around the power line, and has been this way for close to three months.

I am not to sure what to do next. I am getting tired of calling to say the least. Way I see it, it should have been corrected the first time any one was out here.
I am aware of the distances that is required between the cables, and that has been met.

The problem is the pole that is on my property is much lower then the pole across the street that all the cables originate from.
To me this seems to be the problem. It isn't your normal telephone pole, and is owned by the power company.

My biggest worry is calling Comcast again to see if they can do something, and then have them say they are going to have to remove it until the power company does something.

I am sure they are not going to do an underground run just for one customer, and the fact it crosses over a major road, and then parking lot.

And to be honest, I could live with it the way it is now all wrapped up, but the darn stuff is tied into my equipment. And if something were to happen, I'm sure no one would pay for my equipment, fire damage or what ever, since no one so far is taken the blame on anything.

So I ask....what would you all do?
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
can you post a pic showing the road and all?

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
Click for full size
said by medbuyer:

can you post a pic showing the road and all?

Here ya go

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to Robotics
I'd report it to the local municipal, if anyone governs it, they do. If they cannot help you I'd cancel the service and request they remove the drop from my property [last pole to your house at least].

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
reply to Robotics
Comcast lines going to you clearly just uses the utilities pole to get to you. Utility owns the poles, Comcast just leases space...clearly Comcast's responsibility but then again, that's the only way for them to give you service.

unless, you get it buried by whoever, the bill will be costly....getting permits to dig up that street might even be a gargantuan task...

is it creating problems for your connection? I would get me a power surge or lightning arrestor to augment that cable coming into your house so it won't fry any electronics...and make sure it's insured or covered by home insurance at least...

maybe installing a whole house surge protection device inside your electrical panel will help...

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
reply to Robotics
Reach out to Comcast and the Power Company. Document everything. Ticket numbers, times of visits, etc.

Then if they do not fix it, reach out to the PUC.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to Robotics
This looks like a private pole. Who is responsible for maintaining the area/street light mounted on the drop pole?

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA

1 recommendation

reply to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

Reach out to Comcast and the Power Company. Document everything. Ticket numbers, times of visits, etc.

What is PUC...public utilities? (my best guess). And I have been keeping tabs on times this happens. Thats why I think its the same person doing this. But hard to say. Everyone else blows their horn but one train. One can go by and blow the whistle and half hour later one will come by and you would never know it till its there. (more or less)

BTW like your name here WHFS I grew up in NoVa. and that was the one of two stations I listened to.

The other being WGTB One Nation Underground
This goes way back (And the FCC took care of them).

Thanks for the suggestions
--

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
reply to jack b
The power company. Dominion Power.

I agree it does seem like a private pole but has the power company's metal sticker on it with numbers.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to Robotics
said by Robotics:

said by whfsdude:

What is PUC...public utilities? (my best guess). And I have been keeping tabs on times this happens. Thats why I think its the same person doing this. But hard to say. Everyone else blows their horn but one train. One can go by and blow the whistle and half hour later one will come by and you would never know it till its there. (more or less)

BTW like your name here WHFS I grew up in NoVa. and that was the one of two stations I listened to.

The other being WGTB One Nation Underground
This goes way back (And the FCC took care of them).

Thanks for the suggestions

PUC = Public Utilities Commission. Usually a state government department.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to Robotics
The only option I see is to pull the run TIGHTER so it will not blow in the wind as much. With a long run like that however, you can only pull up so much slack. Also, you might not be ABLE to pull it any tighter as the tighter it gets, the higher it gets. And the higher it gets, the closer to Power it gets ( a moot point now.. but specs are specs) It can only be so close to power.
looks like a catch 22.
Tighten it up, string it higher and its to close to power and in danger of a fine or just being cut down by power.
Let it be where it is and it ends up not only being "close" to power, but physically wrapped around it!

Re-routing from another section, run, pole would be the only option I would investigate if this was my area.

Do you know if that is a 6 line or the thicker RG11 or .320?
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to Robotics
Cable company personnel are not trained linemen. They really aren't supposed to be messing with lines that are wrapped up in power, even if they think they know what they are doing.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
reply to CableTool
They 'could' move the drop at the line pole a bit out into the span and go for radial clearance as well. They might not have to pull the strand too far out of lead. It's one of those things where you just have to be there. [shrug]
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Robotics
next time it's unraveled, throw a weight, 2 - 4 lbs, up onto the center of the drop.. That should hold the cable down enough during high wind to keep it from wrapping itself over the power drop.

rfnut
Premium
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Robotics
said by Robotics:

So I ask....what would you all do?

If it were my drop I would ignore it. Its not a high voltage line.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
said by rfnut:

Unless I'm totally missing something, it more than enough to knock a filling or two out of someone's mouth if the insulation gets worn or chewed through.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

2 recommendations

said by AVonGauss:

said by rfnut:

Unless I'm totally missing something, it more than enough to knock a filling or two out of someone's mouth if the insulation gets worn or chewed through.

I'm sorry, but your statement just gives me the image of Robotics See Profile chewing on the cable and getting his fillings blown out of his mouth. LMAO!
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
reply to AVonGauss
And could be really bad for modems STB's and ATTACHED equipment

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Johkal
said by Johkal:

I'm sorry, but your statement just gives me the image of Robotics See Profile chewing on the cable and getting his fillings blown out of his mouth. LMAO!

And all the time we thought it was squirrels

wa2ibm
Premium
join:2000-10-10
San Jose, CA
reply to Robotics
I would make darn sure that the ground block that's supposed to be at your end of the cable drop is properly grounded with a large guage wire (I'd use #6). The ground is required by code. Thus, if the insulation on the outside of the coax should be damaged AND short to a hot wire on the power drop (also with damaged insulation), then the only thing that should happen is the cable goes POOF. All current should be shunted to ground through the ground block. Might make a good show.

Other than that, my only other suggestion is the suspended weight thing suggested above by pokesph.
--
- Bill

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Johkal
said by Johkal:

LOL. I definitely meant it to be a little light hearted and not so doomsday-ish, but it definitely should be reconfigured properly. It might be fine for many years, but even that "low voltage" is enough hurt or kill someone.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to pokesph
said by pokesph:

next time it's unraveled, throw a weight, 2 - 4 lbs, up onto the center of the drop.. That should hold the cable down enough during high wind to keep it from wrapping itself over the power drop.

Nah. I vote for this.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by graysonf:

Nah. I vote for this.

[att=1]

That works as well
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

tito2020

@comcast.net
reply to graysonf
There is soppose to be some type of metal tention guide wire attached to this cable

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
reply to Robotics
your power line isng high enough, thus the cable line cant have sufficient clearance over the road without being right on top of the power line...who ever owns the sub pole needs to put in a taller sub pole....

or as was said, comcast can move your drop a couple feet down the strand so its not parallel with the power line...

either way i fail to see the issue...this is a common occurrence and no harm will come of it..
--
I'm better than you!

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
Very common. At the very worst, the cable jacket will open after 5+ years of it causing cable issues. I highly doubt it will ever break through the power jacket, that is like a kite string trying to cut through wood, it just isn't going to happen.

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
said by Jabbu:

it just isn't going to happen.

Don't you mean - "it'll only happen once"?

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
reply to CableTool
said by CableTool:

Do you know if that is a 6 line or the thicker RG11 or .320?

As of now I am out of the area till Monday. I will check that then.
Off the top of my head I thing its RG11, but not sure.
--

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
reply to AVonGauss
said by AVonGauss:

And Comcast's leased modem, and of course my equipment.

I can only hope the ground block works when needed.
--

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
reply to Johkal
said by Johkal:

I got a good laugh out is it myself
--