Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics to wa2ibm

Premium Member

to wa2ibm

Re: Cable Wrapped Around Power Line (again)

said by wa2ibm:

I would make darn sure that the ground block that's supposed to be at your end of the cable drop is properly grounded with a large guage wire (I'd use #6). The ground is required by code. Thus, if the insulation on the outside of the coax should be damaged AND short to a hot wire on the power drop (also with damaged insulation), then the only thing that should happen is the cable goes POOF. All current should be shunted to ground through the ground block. Might make a good show.

Other than that, my only other suggestion is the suspended weight thing suggested above by pokesph.

It appears to be #6. And I agree on the suspended weight.
I just might see what I can do about doing that.
iknow
Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow to Robotics

Premium Member

to Robotics
something like this »www.shortwavestore.com/d ··· ion.html but with clamps on the ends would stop that. maybe they make something for electric service?.

mb6
join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Netgear CM1150V
Netgear R7800

mb6 to gar187er

to gar187er
said by gar187er:

... either way i fail to see the issue...this is a common occurrence and no harm will come of it..

The install is not to code. Start with the Virginia State Corporation Commission »www.scc.virginia.gov/pue ··· int.aspx

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

the pole height is not comcast responsibilty.

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist to pokesph

to pokesph
Like Pokesph said, put a weight on the cable. A pair of old sneakers up over the cable will hold it down nicely and if someone gripes you can always claim some kids threw it up there... Just make sure the shoe laces are synthetic and not cotton so they will last longer.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Don't blame it on the kids. Tell them I did it. After all it was my idea in the first place.
Expand your moderator at work

SolarPup
Office365 Rockstar
Premium Member
join:2002-03-07
Windsor, CO

SolarPup to Robotics

Premium Member

to Robotics

Re: Cable Wrapped Around Power Line (again)

Just so you know, that issues like this, Comcast will never touch it while it's wrapped around a power line.. we were told NEVER to touch anything touching power and the power company has to untangle it.

However, they really should have moved you down and done something different.. and if it was redone as RG11, my guess would be that it would weigh enough to not get tangled at that point.. maybe not.
tvoldtimer
join:2010-09-16
Shawnee, KS

tvoldtimer

Wouldn't a practical solution be for the power company (at Comcast's expense) to install rigid spacers (non-conductive material) between the cables? I've seen this done many times on long spans that tend to droop.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

if its the poco or home owners pole, why should comcast have to pay for something like that?

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

said by gar187er:

if its the poco or home owners pole, why should comcast have to pay for something like that?

Just to make it clear in case I haven't, It is the power company's pole, has the markings and tags. I only pay for the security light on it.

Problem is, power company wont do anything about it (and its their pole) and Comcast for whatever reason wont move the cable from where it originates from (across the street) down a bit so the cable wont be completely under the power line.

Both Comcast and the power company have been out here twice, and both say there is nothing they can do. Although the power company has untangled it on both occasions.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Robotics:

Both Comcast and the power company have been out here twice, and both say there is nothing they can do. Although the power company has untangled it on both occasions.

The power company is concerned about the legal liability they might have if the insulation were to wear through and the Comcast cable was not properly grounded. They may also be concerned about outages (and even possible power company property damage) if the insulation were to wear through and the Comcast cable was properly grounded (I think the fireworks display in that scenario was previously mentioned in this thread). OTOH, the power company does not have the authority to do anything with Comcast's cable other than temporarily correct the potential problem by untangling the cables.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to Robotics

Premium Member

to Robotics
Just call comcast and tell them you got a shocked from the cable line
they will have the Power co and comcast out in a few hours