share rss forum feed

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

[Cable] [QC] Videotron Slow speeds in Evenings

Hello,

I've started this thread as a common point as we have noticed a greater number of people saying they are experiencing slower speeds in the evening. I wanted to make sure we have a common place to discuss it. I was advised that there is already an order placed to have the POI upgraded. There is no specific ETA for it to be installed, but in the past, they've always been fairly quick to upgrade us. So bottom line is we know about it & the fix for it is on it's way. Please be patient as frustrating as it may be, but we should all be back on par shortly.

Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

yvvvvv

join:2010-05-08
Quebec, QC
It's good to know you've done something and it will be fixed in the near future. Hope it's a matter of weeks, not months. It all depends on Videotron now.

Thanks!

Hemish

join:2012-05-31
Riviere-Du-Loup, QC
reply to TSI Martin
Thank you Martin.

From what I gathered from the other threads, we can expect updates from you or other Teksavvy staff so I'll be patient for now!

ghostly57

join:2011-08-22
QC, Canada
reply to TSI Martin
That's great news! What's the upgrade? Are you adding a 1 gig link?

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON
I'll see if I can get that info.

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada
reply to TSI Martin

Rickkins

Mtl, Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Martin
Seems ok here in Rock Bottom this morning. I'll run the test again later to see if there's any difference.

Rickkins

Mtl, Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
Ouch....

Edit: Kid might have been online gaming...

Fredtek

join:2009-09-05
reply to TSI Martin
Thank you Martin for the update!

Hemish

Riviere-Du-Loup, QC
reply to TSI Martin
Any news on that upgrade, Martin?

Thank you.

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON
no news at this time. I'll keep you folks updated.

yvvvvv

Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Hemish
I don't know for you, but in the past days, I haven't had serious slowdowns in download speed. The dl and ul speeds are always close to what I pay for (15/1.5). While at the same time in the past weeks, I had serious dl speed slowdowns.

I'll keep you posted.

Reboot123

join:2012-07-05
Montreal, QC
@yvvvvv what modem are you using o-O

yvvvvv

Quebec, QC
Thomson DCM-475

Fredtek

join:2009-09-05

1 edit
reply to yvvvvv
said by yvvvvv:

I don't know for you, but in the past days, I haven't had serious slowdowns in download speed. The dl and ul speeds are always close to what I pay for (15/1.5). While at the same time in the past weeks, I had serious dl speed slowdowns.

Edited:

Indeed, it was not bad last few days. However when I test with the default server at speediest.net I don't get perfect result, but when selecting other server in ON instead of QC, I get full speed. So be warned of possible bad speediest result.

MadCow

@teksavvy.com
You should do all speed tests on Toronto servers, all teksavvy traffic is uploaded to the internet there.

Unfortunately at the end of the month I will be moving to local Montreal Cable ISP, mostly because of this. I was hoping one day Teksavvy would be big enough to have a data center in Montreal for Qc traffic (it really makes a difference for local voip calls to shave 20+ ms and to reduce the jitter). Would be a good investment, TSI could re-route traffic to either data centers during maintenance, gives them a backup in case of fire or disasters. The easier way for TSI would be to buy an existing Montreal wholesaler. Frankly it makes much more sense for independent ISPs to pool their resources, I'm surprised by the lack of growth through alliances and acquisitions among the independent ISPs. Why isn't there some aggregated resources among the independents? The market isn't competitive, with such a small market share among the independents and such a large market opportunity for all, you'd think cooperation among independents would be the best approach.

I really like Teksavvy, so its with great regret that I'll be leaving.

yvvvvv

Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Thanks for the info. I thought that TekSavvy had some servers in Montreal. When I test my connection with their Toronto server, I get a better ping (21 ms) vs the Montreal server (29 ms). The speeds remain the same, so it doesn't bother me much.

When I suscribed to TekSavvy a couple years ago, the only other independent ISP I knew in Quebec was Radioactif and I was not that impressed. I have a very good experience with TekSavvy. If I had to change to another ISP in Quebec, I would go with ElectronicBox, has they seem to have very good service and performance overall. I can get the 30/1.5 package with 250GB bandwidth for the same price I pay the 15/1.5 package with 300GB with TekSavvy. They also seem to have better service in French than TekSavvy (and less errors on their website).

Rickkins

Mtl, Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to MadCow
said by MadCow :

You should do all speed tests on Toronto servers, all teksavvy traffic is uploaded to the internet there.

Unfortunately at the end of the month I will be moving to local Montreal Cable ISP, mostly because of this. I was hoping one day Teksavvy would be big enough to have a data center in Montreal for Qc traffic (it really makes a difference for local voip calls to shave 20+ ms and to reduce the jitter). Would be a good investment, TSI could re-route traffic to either data centers during maintenance, gives them a backup in case of fire or disasters. The easier way for TSI would be to buy an existing Montreal wholesaler. Frankly it makes much more sense for independent ISPs to pool their resources, I'm surprised by the lack of growth through alliances and acquisitions among the independent ISPs. Why isn't there some aggregated resources among the independents? The market isn't competitive, with such a small market share among the independents and such a large market opportunity for all, you'd think cooperation among independents would be the best approach.

I really like Teksavvy, so its with great regret that I'll be leaving.

I'm in Montreal(Pierrefonds, west island). I find their 30m unlimited service super solid...(unless my kid's playing wow, then he seems to hog a lot of bandwidth)

mrbobyu

@teksavvy.com
reply to yvvvvv
I'm getting very low bandwidth the last few days. I have 30mb/2mb one from Teksavvy cable. I only get ~7mb/ 2mb which is very slow. Even my torrent are closed. I even get drop from games time to time because my connection isn't even stable. Anyone else have this problem?

Hemish

Riviere-Du-Loup, QC

1 edit
reply to TSI Martin
It wasn't as bad last week, some slow downs but good enough to do Netflix with some disconnections.

It's back in full force tonight as it's Sunday evening. What's weird is that when it does that, I can't come close to the speedtest's speed (around 14mbps right now). I can't get 300k/sec downloading Nvidia drivers right now where it's insanely fast usually. My usual 1.8mb/sec from a friend's server is only giving me 200k/sec right now. Starcraft II p2p downloader is crawling so I stopped it.

Hope we get some good news soon! I'm trying to download The Secret World newest MMO and it's painful to watch the 15gb being downloaded at a whooping 98k/sec when my friends in California and another one in the same city as myself with Videotron are maxing their 16 and 30 mbps connections.

30/2 mbps

ghostly57

join:2011-08-22
QC, Canada
reply to TSI Martin
Still going strong on 8/1 cable

Hemish

Riviere-Du-Loup, QC

4 edits
reply to TSI Martin
An update next week could be great! Switching to Teksavvy is turning out to be an expensive mistake.

Cyborg994

join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Martin
Very slow tonight :-(

Montreal, near decarie and snowdon.

pldube

join:2011-06-11
canada
not only tonight ... start at 1pm

so slowwwww

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Martin
I've been noticing this for a while now and while it's nice to see a thread about it, it's been happening for a few weeks now for me in Hull.

What's the deal? How much longer? Can we get a discount for this period of awful service?

DoBoY

join:2011-12-14
reply to Cyborg994
Can we get an update on this situation from TSI? I was going to switch in a week or so but now am very very worried about the quality of service i can expect..

Hemish

Riviere-Du-Loup, QC
reply to TSI Martin
said by DoBoY:

Can we get an update on this situation from TSI? I was going to switch in a week or so but now am very very worried about the quality of service i can expect..

If you're in Videotron-land, I would wait. The link itself is stable, constant pings and everything but it's getting more and more congested. Let's just hope the upgrade is significant and will last a while as it seems like it's currently one gigabit for all the Teksavvy customers in Videotron-land.

yvvvvv

Quebec, QC
This is weird. Haven't experiences serious slowdowns in the past 2 weeks in the 7pm-10pm timeframe. I'll check tonight around 8pm-9pm and post my result here.

Reboot123

join:2012-07-05
Montreal, QC
reply to Cyborg994
.___. I am also near decarie/snowdon, hope they will fix this by the time I get my cable :B

yvvvvv

Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to yvvvvv
I guess I was under false impressions. Finally I do get slowdowns (I'm paying for the cable 15/1.5 package).

Bummer.