Formerly known as Carnage
Premium Member
join:2001-05-15
Pickering On

Jay_ to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine

Re: Game of Thrones

So I've started reading the books. Started last night, got to the part where Bran is pushed out the window. So far, it's pretty damn dead on with the TV series. haha..

FunBobby
@swbell.net

FunBobby

Anon

said by Jay_:

So I've started reading the books. Started last night, got to the part where Bran is pushed out the window. So far, it's pretty damn dead on with the TV series. haha..

When you read book two, probably 1/3 of it wasn't included in season 2 (or that's what it felt like). For example, there were two shadow killings. Elements of both were merged into the single Renley killing. I think the most noticeable things were Riverrun not being included at all and Arya's story being cut in half. She was never a cup bearer for Tywin and I don't recall her even speaking to him. While he was still there she was a kitchen slave and then later served as cub bearer for the new "Lord" which the "ownership" of the castle changed. She also never had the gate guards murdered. She selected a much different target for her 3rd life. Another major thing is Stannis was not with the fleet - he was leading the ground war. Plus, the ships sailed down the river (not the open ocean), Tyrion's "chain" wasn't included and the wildfire was used in a completely different (and much cooler) manner. Oh and Bran's story was half way removed (and the part that was removed was the cool skin shifter training part). Crap, and Danerys's dragons were never kidnapped, there was no vault, that dude didn't try to take over and her experience with the warlocks was TOTALLY different (and different in a major much better way).

Well (hell), season 2 blew chunks lol.

It's odd season 1 was spot on and season 2 was just so horrible at staying true to the books. Hopefully book 3 being split in half will help take things back to being true to the books. Although it's hard to think of the major shocker events

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Yes you're right but...10 episodes of TV. Less than 10 hours to convey a lot of information to an audience that has not necessarily read the book. I have to say that the changes they made (and there were a lot) they did to move the overarching main story, which is still intact, along at a faster rate.

And I liked Arya's scenes with Tywin. Better than the corresponding story in the book (which I won't spoil for those that are still reading). A masterful job. I loved the books. But TV is a different medium, and they're doing a fantastic job. I have some time off next week. A marathon viewing of season 2 is in order I think.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin to Jay_

Premium Member

to Jay_
My son did the same thing. he watched season one first, then started to read the books. Overall they match pretty well. Yes some of the events changed (which I didn't like) but as bionicrod said, it is a different medium and some things need to be changed in order to fit in the shows. As always books are done better because they can add a lot of info. Hope you enjoy the books.

Jay_
Formerly known as Carnage
Premium Member
join:2001-05-15
Pickering On

Jay_

Premium Member

said by Voxxjin:

My son did the same thing. he watched season one first, then started to read the books. Overall they match pretty well. Yes some of the events changed (which I didn't like) but as bionicrod said, it is a different medium and some things need to be changed in order to fit in the shows. As always books are done better because they can add a lot of info. Hope you enjoy the books.

About done with Book 1.. pretty much everything was spot on with the show (save for a few minor details like Ned's leg injury when Jamie attacked him). Loving it so far but can't wait to start book 2 as I've heard it's different and much more detailed (obviously).

Should be starting book 2 by next week (i'm not the fastest reader in the world...)