uniqs
share rss forum feed

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
reply to lordpuffer

Re: Cisco Connect Cloud

said by lordpuffer:

What are the advantages of Cisco Cloud Connect?

There are none. Really. There is really ZERO need for you or anyone else to use Cloud Connect.

The reality is this allows Cisco to collect, harvest, aggregate and sell your browsing history. That's what this is all about.

How many times does your mother or sister really make changes to their router once its up and running and fully configured? Once a year and more likely never.

The average family will NEVER change anything on their router once its configured.

This again is nothing more than Cisco trying to cash in on its massive footprint to aggregate browsing data and sell it to marketers.

Read the TOS and decide for yourself. But its pretty obvious to me.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by danclan:

said by lordpuffer:

There are none. Really. There is really ZERO need for you or anyone else to use Cloud Connect.

ZERO? I disagree. Here's a "need" that I have: My 83 year old mom knows about as much about routers and network settings as she does about Chinese Mandarin...which is to say very little. This allows me remote access...there are other advantages, and yes, potential disadvantages as well.

According to Cisco, this is the beginning stage of having any number of home devices that will be able to be accessed and controlled through one's home network, making remote access desireable. That may flop, or it may become a new paradigm in router usage, this remains to be seen.

As far as fears that this will be a Cisco "data-grab?" Yawn...anyone with a facebook account has more to be concerned about, as does anyone who uses a search tool such as Google...
--
Deeds, not words

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

2 recommendations

said by PeteC2:

said by danclan:

said by lordpuffer:

ZERO? I disagree. Here's a "need" that I have: My 83 year old mom knows about as much about routers and network settings as she does about Chinese Mandarin...which is to say very little. This allows me remote access...there are other advantages, and yes, potential disadvantages as well.

According to Cisco, this is the beginning stage of having any number of home devices that will be able to be accessed and controlled through one's home network, making remote access desireable. That may flop, or it may become a new paradigm in router usage, this remains to be seen.

As far as fears that this will be a Cisco "data-grab?" Yawn...anyone with a facebook account has more to be concerned about, as does anyone who uses a search tool such as Google...

If this sounds harsh please don't take it that way but I have heard these arguments before from other services and people and they are not different now than they were then.

Your grandmother would likely NEVER EVER need to access the router nor you after its initial configuration which is all done via a push button or the very simple cd install. I Have yet to ever have to re-login to the dozen routers I have had to install for family members. It's been YEARS and not one has had an issue. They all have older WRT300 or WRT310, the trusty WRT54G and several more of the E3000's. Some are on standard linksys/cisco firmeware others are dd-wrt. None have remote access enabled. All have performed flawlessly even after numerous power outages and moves to other states and cable systems.

And just how many devices do you really need to remote control that would require constant tweaking of a router? And would you want all your eggs in Cisco's basket? I've worked with them for the better part of 20 years and in no way in hell would I want them doing that. Maybe being so close to them has built up a strong love hate relationship but experience with any one company running too much leads to disaster.

Do you or anyone else want their homes now to be potentially hacked or worse, hijacked? or even have the remote possibility of being hacked/hijacked? It may be paranoia on my part but I would error on the side of extreme caution before opening remote access to any home device from the outside. This goes too for Verizon and Comcast's Remote Home Control and Security services.

Your lack of fear of a data grab is what saddens me the most though. I don't and millions of others don't use Facebook. Actually Facebook use has been on the decline in much of the west (EU and US). Facebook doesn't get access to your full and complete browsing history, the legal ramifications of this are huge. Cisco would have access to EVERY LINK YOU EVER CLICKED ON and with no storage limit or opt out. If I was the local police, the FBI or other governmental agency, news of this "service" will have just made my day.

Cisco may not enable that right away as they just recently reported but I wouldn't be surprised in an "update to provide more features" it gets enabled quietly. They would be stupid to not cash in on your browsing history.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by danclan:

If this sounds harsh please don't take it that way but I have heard these arguments before from other services and people and they are not different now than they were then.

Nope, I take no offense at all, I simply disagree. Much of what you say you are concerned about has never actually resulted in anything negative occurring. Aside of occasionally annoying ads and offers that I could live without seeing, I have yet to ever have been compromised financially, or in any other fashion, and I have no fears that Cisco has any nefarious plans to illegally separate me from my wealth...other than selling me their hardware...

Again, I see nothing in their TOS that leads me to fear that they are going to do anything that would cause me harm.

I am intensely more concerned about the federal govt's desire to be able to track browsing habits...but that is for another post...

BTW, I am as big a person on personal privacy as you are likely to know (exactly why I eschew facebook)...however, the reality is that information gathering in today's electronic/data-base age isn't going away, that rabbit isn't ever going back into the magician's hat.

As far as my ability to remotely access my mom's network? Maybe you would have no need/desire to easily do this, but hey, that is my concern, yes? I do like that aspect of it, and to me, it is a valid convenience.
--
Deeds, not words

sabretooth

join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA

But you have always had the power to remotely access your router from anywhere. Been built in since day one.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by sabretooth:

But you have always had the power to remotely access your router from anywhere. Been built in since day one.

...and so? I said that this was convenient, and it is. For some reason do I have to qualify that? I don't think so.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I expected something like this, based on Cisco's marketing of the EA series since day 1 as cloud-enabled. It rather makes me wonder how many folks bought EA routers without considering that all over the web site, and all over the box, they were marketing this as a different kind of router.

I do think that Cisco could have handled this more adroitly, for sure...I could have told them that making a change this big as an auto-update would lead to stress...but it just isn't the big wahoo that some have made of it.
--
Deeds, not words
Expand your moderator at work