Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL

Problems with a new apartment

I moved into a "rehabbed" apartment about a month ago. The moving process was good and the initial experience with the building property manager was a good one. After about a month of living there, I started noticing problems.

First I had a midnight visit from a large cockroach in my bathroom. I immediately called the property manager on the issue. It took him two days to return my call. When he did return my call, he sent out a guy named Melvin to treat the apartment, obviously not a professional exterminator. As I've gotten more acquainted with the building, I'm noticing serious problems. Building materials in front of electrical panels in the basement, loose insulation on piping that looks old enough to be asbestos, the floor sagging in my kitchen.

I've lived in a lot of apartments, but I've never had one that was in such poor shape. I've never lived in an apartment with cockroaches before. I'm realizing that the new flooring and new appliances were a facade to bring in people like me. I'm calling the property manager almost weekly for problems. There's no proactive maintenance on the building.

I'm trying to find an out to get out of this place, but I just signed a year lease. I'm not happy with the place and I just don't feel that's it's healthy to live here. Any suggestions for me to get out of my lease legally?

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:5

Try talking to him and explain what is going on? Tell him you feel unsafe and your health is a risk? If he can't work out a deal then you will have to contact a lawyer.
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

whymeintrouble
Premium
join:2001-06-20
Naperville, IL

1 edit
reply to Clever_Proxy

If that actually is asbestos that is a serious health issue. I would bring it to their attention. If nothing is done i would contact someone locally about it, maybe the health department? I will research and see what i can find.

You can try www.tenant.org they may have some info for you

Clever_Proxy
Premium
Villa Park, IL

Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's a picture of the lovely pipe. This is in the common way to the back door to my unit. I've worked in old buildings before and been through asbestos abatements. To me, this looks like asbestos insulation, but I'm not sure.

Clever_Proxy
Premium
Villa Park, IL

After doing a little bit of research online, I'm 90% sure this is what they call "Air Cell" insulation. Most definitely asbestos. I decided to skip calling the landlord this time and called 311. I filed a report. We'll see what happens...

whymeintrouble
Premium
join:2001-06-20
Naperville, IL

hopefully you get a quick and complete solution to the problem. let us know what happens, or doesn't happen. good luck!

Clever_Proxy
Premium
Villa Park, IL

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Well, the building inspector stopped by today. I was dead on about the air cell insulation. It has an extremely high asbestos content. One of the highest I guess. The inspector required an abatement on the spot. I came home and met up with the abatement folks. They gave me a lot of information which was nice. I guess there was a lot more air cell insulation that was in much poorer shape than this in the building.

I'm glad it's gone, but I'm still going to try to get out of this dump.

Sorry for the low quality pictures. I forgot my camera at work.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

said by Clever_Proxy:

Well, the building inspector stopped by today. I was dead on about the air cell insulation. It has an extremely high asbestos content.

holey shit dude....wow
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to Clever_Proxy

EDIT:Never mind saw your reply

Clever_Proxy
Premium
Villa Park, IL
reply to Clever_Proxy

Update

1) The landlord cancelled my lease. I'm moving in about a week. Still looking over apartments now.

2) I got a copy of the building inspection report from the City of Chicago freedom of information act. The landlord is actually being taken to court by the city. I don't mind sharing a copy of the report if you ask.

3) I'm moving out of the city. I think I'm getting too old for these run down, cramped apartments for big money. Time for something a little bit quieter. I'll just use the Metra to commute to work.

Thanks guys for the help!!

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1

Share it. He can never say you libel him. It is a fact on public records. Get a townhouse, for a starter home, prices are great. Just outside of the city, you might still be able to take the CTA in.

Clever_Proxy
Premium
Villa Park, IL

1 recommendation

I'm going to share it, but the report I have has not been finalized yet. COC said that they will be sending me another report in about a week. When they do, I'll share it.

I found a condo in LaGrange Park that is looking very nice. Just going to look at it one more time today and then sign.

Clever_Proxy
Premium
Villa Park, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Warzau

Click for full size
Click for full size
As Promised, here is the copy of the report. I know these are public records, but I felt much more comfortable removing the addresses and names from this report. If you want to see the full report, there should be more than enough information here to get it from the city of chicago website.

I'm moving tomorrow. What an ordeal. I'm so happy it's over with.