computerman2
Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

ATI video drivers Clean install

Brand new PC, Updated drivers last night with AMD Autodetect feature to version 12.6, now my one game keeps saying Driver has crashed then restored? Any ideas on how to fix this error? or how to perform a clean Driver install with ATI Video drivers

have a Radeon 6530D

System is HP P6-2133W

primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI
maybe try to step back one version of the driver. maybe there is a glitch with it.

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest
Used Driver sweeper for the first time
Reinstalled Current Drivers
So far seems more stable, will know for sure in a few hours

First time i had an AMD/Ati based system in many years, but wasn't too hard to figure out how to use driver sweeper and get it working correctly

primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI
reply to computerman2
Sorry, yep. Always do a clean install on a video driver. I just assumed it was done, my bad. Something I just do without thinking, lol. Glad it is working though!

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Crashed one more time after the clean install, if continues acting up with Second life Game, then i will do a clean install of the Second life program, and or go back to 12.4 version of the drivers

slomotion
Premium
join:2002-11-10
Chiloquin, OR
reply to computerman2
Often times when you install drivers on top of drivers you can get into trouble. I am unsure if this is you situation or not, but I suggest that you try a product like Driver Cleaner www.drivercleaner.net to remove all traces of old drivers from your system. Then try the latest Catalyst again and see if this solves you issues.

Good Luck
--
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Tried Driver Sweeper and Atiman uninstaller, reinstalled 12.6 drivers, tested with Game, and Driver still stopped responding, so removed 12.6 and back to 12.4 version of the drivers...i suppose i'll try updating again in the future

TK421
Premium
join:2004-12-19
Canada
nevermind

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest
Game is SecondLife 3.3.3.260300 (Working with there support also) so far no solution on the matter.

Uninstalled via Control panel last night
(before uninstall made sure Avast was disabled)
restarted in safe mode--ran driver sweeper
don't know if Device Manager was on Standard VGA or Not for my APU Radeon 6530D Video
Restarted back into Admin account, installed 12.6
Then Restarted when done

Played Flight Sim X and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 a bit, worked fine, logged into Second life and got Display Driver stopped responding every hour, so then went thru steps again, and back to 12.4 version for now

TK421
Premium
join:2004-12-19
Canada
whoops - I saw what game three posts up after posting my question. You may as well hold on to 12.4 until AMD releases a fix.

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
yes i may as well hold onto this version i'm using now, at least when i am ready to try updating again, i'll know how to do the update better with AMD/ATI drivers

Thanks everyone for the replies and attempted solutions and help..

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
I was having some issues recently and this is how I did a clean install. I have an Intel CPU chip and would not reccomend this way with an AMD/ATI chip, not sure if it would mess something up.

Before you start make sure that you have "Show hidden files and folders" checked via Control panel, folder options.

Uninstall all AMD/ATI programs via control panel, add/remove programs and reboot.

Once rebooted go into program files and delete all ATI/AMD folders. repeat for Program files (x86) and Programdata folders.

Go into your Users folder, remove all ATI/AMD from the appdata folder. Check all the users, including default, admin, user 1, user 2, user xxxxx, whatever may be their. Check in both local and roaming folders.

Now open regedit via command promt. (Start menu)

Delete all folders/entrees that begin with AMD/ATI in the following locations.

Hkey_Local_Machine->Software
Hkey_Local_Machine->Software->wow6432node
Hkey_Current_User->Software

Reboot

Now install your new drivers.

I tried driver sweeper and that did not fix my issues, but the above method did. To reiterate, f you have an AMD cpu I would not do this because you may remove something needed for the CPU.

Hope this helps.

slomotion
Premium
join:2002-11-10
Chiloquin, OR
reply to computerman2
Click for full size
I am still running with Catalyst v12.3 and as you can see by my WEI score, I seem to be doing quite well.
--
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest
Well reason i wanted to update video drivers, is some games say your drivers are out dated and i should update, mainly Steam games, but i guess fine with these til maybe version 12.7 or 12.8 version of drivers is out, but i'l make a restore point first before trying

Sound issue also fixed with Firestorm, so finally enjoying my new Quad Core PC instead of troubleshooting

Thanks everyone for the replies

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
join:2001-01-29
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology
reply to computerman2
All I can say is, "that if you like the 12.3 or 12.6 drivers, even though BETA, you will certainly like the 12.7 Drivers.

"This release of AMD Catalyst™ 12.7 Beta includes a number of performance optimizations for the AMD Radeon ™ HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800, and AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series.

Performance highlights of AMD Catalyst 12.7 Beta•Up to 25% Skyrim
•Up to 6% in Crysis 2
•Up to 20% in Total War: Shogun 2
•Up to 3.3% in Battlefield 3
•Up to 6.9% In 3DMark™ 11
•Up to 4.8% in Aliens vs. Predator
•Up to 6.5% in Batman: Arkham City
•Up to 8% in Crysis Warhead
•Up to 7.2% in F1 2010
•Up to 8% in Just Cause 2
•Up to 12% in Wolfenstein MP
Feature highlights of AMD Catalyst 12.7 Beta

Diablo 3: Anti-Aliasing support:•Users can now enable Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing and Super Sample Anti-Aliasing for Diablo 3 through the AMD Catalyst Control Center.
Resolved Issues for the Windows® 7, Windows Vista® and Windows XP Operating System•Elder Scrolls: Skyrim- screen flickering when in AMD CrossFire™ mode
Note: This issue was first observed with version 1.6 of Skyrim.
Build Info:
DriverVer=06/26/2012, 8.981.2.0000
8.981.2-120626a-141571E-ATI
CCC: 2012.0626.1157.19430
D3D: 9.14.10.0924
OGL: 6.14.10.11740
OCL: 10.0.938.1"

--
All I know is I'm not home yet
This is not where I belong
Take this world and give me Jesus
This is not where I belong

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit
As long as Ran Secondlife Game great then i may try a future newer driver again, but i know 12.6 didn't run with SL good at all, but i may try 12.7 sometime

Games i play normally are

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
Secondlife
Microsoft Flight
Need for speed world
America's Army 3

That's about it for the moment
Expand your moderator at work