uniqs
share rss forum feed

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
reply to btB

Re: Official 2012 CFL Thread

With the Grey Cup being held in Toronto it will be better for the Game if the Argos won the East. Plus it's more fun, if BC makes it, beating Toronto. I've got no quarrel with France.

btB

@rr.com
reply to btB
Just watched the Chuck Ealey piece. To be honest, I was not familiar with him because he did not play for a big-time program in college. Good story. Even saw former Montreal Expo Al Oliver doing some preaching.

One point I am not sure is entirely accurate is that the NFL teams were against having a black quarterback. They use the example of Joe Gilliam. Granted I could be wrong, but I thought Gilliam did not succeed because he had a substance issue. Plus for whatever reason, people forget that James Harris was already in the league at the time. In fact a couple of years later, he would lead the Los Angeles Rams to the NFC Championship game.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to btB
Lulay isn't playing tonight against the Esks,so it'll be interesting to see how the team plays.

Missing ,Lulay,Bruce,Simon .
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

btB

@rr.com
After that ugly game on Sunday, today's game 1 was an offensive shootout. You would not think so with the Bombers and Argos, but it was. Maybe the Argo defense was tired as the Bombers just had their way with them tonight. Lots of big hits in the game as well as you would expect anytime Pierce is in there. Bombers have now won their 2nd road game off the year and still have an outside chance to get to the playoffs.

Speaking of having their way, that is exactly what happened to the Lion defense against the Eskimos in game 2. The Eskimo offensive line got their asses kicked on almost every play. So even though the game was tied in the middle of the 4th quarter, I never expected the Eskimos to actually win. Offensive production from the Lions did not drop much at all with Lulay not in there.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
reply to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

Lulay isn't playing tonight against the Esks,so it'll be interesting to see how the team plays.

Missing ,Lulay,Bruce,Simon .

39-19 that's how we played. Mike Reilly wasn't brilliant but in this league its enough.Hate to say this but the CFL has no parity this year. Thus far it appears theres the Lions, then all the rest. After watching the tough hard fought NFL thursday game (Seattle and SF) this was a let down.
--
"The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
reply to btB
Man oh man Mike Reilly has a rifle for an arm! We'll lose him to
Ottawa in the expansion draft I fear.

FaxCap

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
Does he ever have an arm..........he's going to be a great QB with somebody...........hopefully he stays with the Lions.

Always nice to have a decent backup.............I just hope the Lions don't get too complacent now that they've got home field advantage in the playoffs.

Toronto imploded again with turnovers,the East isn't looking very competitive at all.
--

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
reply to btB
Barnburner in the snow in Calgary.............Tigercats get an onside kick with 50 seconds left and are trying to win it with a FG.
--

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
Wow,they blow it ............:)

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to btB
Its the CFL, it ain't over till its over.

btB

@rr.com
reply to btB
Crazy one in game 1 as expected during windy games in Rider nation. As usual, the Als get all the breaks go their way. They got a favorable spot on a fake punt; received a gift of pass interference on what otherwise would have been an interception, and got a trap called on the Riders on what seemed like a good catch. Not saying they were all bad calls. I am saying it could have easily gone the other way. Anyway when I mean crazy, when was the last time Calvillo ran for 2 touchdowns in one game? Answer: never. On windy day games, you expect a big lead by one team in the 3rd and a rally in the 4th quarter by the other team. That is what happened. Riders almost came back all the way as they were driving as time was expiring. Then on the final play another crazy thing happened as the normally elusive Durant was sacked by the Als who were rushing only 3.

Game 2 was even more crazy courtesy of bad footing (if you are the defender) because of the snow. So you saw a long touchdown catches, a long interception return, and a long fumble return. There were probably 10 turnovers with the Stamps having 7 of them. Ti-Cats are down by 8 late and score a touchdown but missed the 2-point conversion. They recover the onside kick even though Congi looked like he was offside as he kicked the ball. After a Burris 40 yard pass to Williams, the Ti-Cats are in field goal range. A couple of run plays to kill some time and then comes Congi for a 30 yard attempt. Congi has hit close to 90% of his field goals this year. There is no crazy wind like in game 1. You would expect a walkoff win for the Ti-Cats. Instead, Fantuz bobbles the hold and cannot get the ball onto the tee. Congi never even kicks the ball. Ti-Cats are now unlikely to make the playoffs.

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to btB
When I got home I turned on the Calgary game and couldn't believe
my eyes. WHITE stuff....it's only Oct....then I remembered it's
Calgary where they have had measurable snow in all 12 months of the year.

FaxCap

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
reply to btB

Lulay's streak back in effect

That's good that they smartened up.............didn't seem fair that it would end because of an injury.

»www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lula···ory.html
--

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
Holy shit............Stamps have just exploded for 17 pts in 6 minutes of the 1st quarter..............17-0.
--

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
34-0 and 10 penalties in a row against the Lions...........I just love these refs.
--

btB

@rr.com
reply to btB

Re: Official 2012 CFL Thread

Documentary on Calvillo was well-done having one of brothers narrate the piece. Story is how a kid with a broken home made something out of himself via sports. In the sports world unfortunately, this is not that unusual. The program took the negative about his older brother getting involved with gangs & going to jail for attempted murder a positive. Going to jail helped the oldest brother because he might not have otherwise survived in associating with gangs. Likewise, it prevented the younger two brothers from getting involved in gangs. Whether this is was merely said to tell a better story or not, I have no idea.

In the game tonight, it was 34-0 in the 2nd quarter. Not too surprising as the Stamps had more to play for. Not standing-wise; more statement-wise. Plus, you had Glenn and Tate each trying to prove that he should be the starter. Got to give the Lions some credit for trying to comeback as they cut the lead to about 13 or so before the Stamps hit a couple field goals to put it out of reach. Scary moment of the game was when Maurice Price was knocked out of bounds and slid inside the sideline heater. Luckily, Price did not reach the flames.

btB

@rr.com
reply to btB
Game one was over almost as soon as it started. Thought it would have been closer since the loser would be eliminated from playoff contention. Pierce gets knocked early once again, and the Bombers go down without too much of a struggle.

Game two was more like I expected. Close game which was decided in the final minute even though the Argos jumped to an early lead. Thought the Riders might pull it out at the end. On the other hand, maybe the Riders would rather crossover and take their chances against Argos rather than the Stamps.

btB

@rr.com
reply to btB
Typical Als home game. Score a couple times early, do almost nothing on offense in the second half, and try to squeeze out a win. Lowly Edmonton offense with Nichols (in after Joseph gets hurt) launches comes back in the end. They score a touchdown but miss the 2pt conversion attempt (that would have tied it) on the final play of the game.

btB

@rr.com
reply to btB
Can't believe the Ti-Cats lost to an Argo team that was resting many of their starters and playing with their 4th string quarterback Zach Collaros at the end. Ti-Cats gave up 43 points. Argo's starting unit cannot even score that many points in a game. After the Ti-Cats tied the game at 40, all they had to do was hold the Argos without any points in the final minute and go to overtime. That defense could not even do that as Waters hits a 51 yarder as time expires.

btB

@rr.com
reply to btB
Crazy game considering it should have been two teams going through the motions. With the game tied and under 2 minutes left, the Eskimos botch a field goal attempt on a bad snap. Then twice they thought they got the ball back on a turnover. One was called roughing the passer. The other one was called an incomplete instead of a recovered fumble. Stamps then march the ball and attempt a field goal with no time left. Paredes misses the field goal, but the Eskimos had called timeout before the snap. Paredes gets another chance and makes it.

If I am the Eskimos, I would actually prefer to take my chances against the East. So, the game result was probably what they wanted anyway. Also, congrats to Cornish and Sherritt for setting season records.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
Typical CFL ending with the Esks blowing a FG to win it.
--

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
reply to btB
Ok so the real season starts next weekend..........Lions look alright,with Lulay back,but watching his 2 backups last night,gives me some confidence,too.

They both have rifles for arms,probably even stronger than Lulay himself...........hope Cal and Sask kill each other .
--

btB

@rr.com
reply to btB
Finally watched both games from yesterday.

Game one was expected in that there was almost no offense by both sides. In my opinion, McPherson is just not a starting CFL quarterback. Guy is supposed to be a good runner, but he gets sacked easily. He also thinks that he is Calvillo in that he has to get out of the pocket in 3 seconds. Thus, he is not even a threat to throw the ball down field because he will not wait for the receiver to get open. So when you have happy-feet and teams do not respect you as a passer, your ability to run diminishes. Even if the above issues were resolved, I don't like the trajectory of his passes. Yeah, he can drill one into traffic. But you cannot throw frozen ropes on every attempt.

In game two, there was not much scoring there either as you would expect for the last game of the year. About the only thing interesting was that the Riders had almost zero offensive net yards in the 1st quarter.

I see Tillman was fired from Edmonton. I realize people are still angry over the Ray trade, but who knows? Nichols might put up some numbers in the playoffs and be the future. Even if he is not the future, it is not that much of a stretch if Edmonton were to somehow come out of the East.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
reply to btB
Wow,brutal coverage in the Sask/Cal game..............terrible.

Cal comes back and scores on a 68 yd romp with 30 secs left.

Only in the CFL.
--

Kitlope

join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab
reply to btB
Welp, Nichols is out. Glad Tillman is gone.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to btB
Just another game in Calgary where no one was leaving until the Fat Lady finished singing, just in case. We like to make sure fans get their full 60 minutes worth of enjoyment from Stampeder games. Nothing can touch the CFL for an emotional roller coaster ride. And hey all you stubble jumpers, thanks for being the fans you are as its always fun having you in Calgary (not to mention that watermelon sales sky rocket).

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

btB

@rr.com
reply to btB
Guess I was wrong in thinking that the Argo's 1st string could not score 40. Eskimos actually looked good after the 1st drive and afterwards until the end of the 1st quarter. Then, Boyd fumbled away the ball and when the damaged was done, the Argos had 31 points in the 2nd. That injury on Nichols as he was sacked looked bad. Hope he is can comeback 100% healthy next year.

Second game was great. Just when you thought the game was going to go one way, something would happen that would turn things around 180 degrees: the high snap on the conversion, the fumble after a long gain, and the touchdown with under 2 minutes left. Hard to imagine if any of the future playoff games will be better than this one. One reason for this is that I think the jury is still out on Tate, and that is not ideal when you play the defending champs next week on the road.

btB

@rr.com
reply to btB
I just watched some postgame highlights and Tate says he seriously cannot remember the 1st half. I thought he was joking about this when asked at the start of the 3rd. So much for the CFL Concussion Protocol. Now that I think about it. I did wonder at the time why no member of the training staff even came onto the field after he was hit helmet-to-helmet. This of course brings into question whether Tate will play next week.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to btB
Holy crap a playoff game victory in Toronto? Hell hath freezeth over or what?

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by HiVolt:

Holy crap a playoff game victory in Toronto? Hell hath freezeth over or what?

No, Hell only freezes over if the Boatmen can sink the Als,

That happens and I'm ordering studs for my winter tires cause yeah, hell just froze over *real* good

NefCanuck