Re: Official 2012 CFL Thread

AARRRGGGGOOOOOOOs !! .. ) ..

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to btB

I think its going to be a heck of a party in Toronto, complete with lots of horses.

Blake

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

Brutal.......Lions worst game in 2 years and it has to be the Western Final.

Guess I'll be missing the Grey Cup.............I hate both teams.
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to btB

Click for full size
Click for full size

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to btB

The Lions seemed pretty rusty out there today. I was a bit worried about that. It had been over a month since Lulay really played in a game (The Sask. game a few weeks ago he only played in part).

The last real game they had played was the week before the sask win. The game vs. the riders was pretty bad. Neither team was really trying.

Calgary had the eye of the tiger, BC didn't.

I think I'll root for the Argos next week. I lived in Edmonton for a while and I'd get a kick out of Ray winning the cup the year after they got rid of him.

I think Calgary will win it though. They have a pretty solid team.

btB

@rr.com
reply to btB

I gave you guys a chance, but nobody wanted to pick the road teams.

Smoke & Mirrors couldn't pull it off for the Als in game 1. Typical Als home game where they get a early lead. This time the Als constant blitzing did not bother Ray as Reinbold thought he was still facing Joseph or Jackson. All the Argos did was throw one misdirection after another to pile up yardage. Calvillo's inability to scramble or run & his unwillingness to take a hit pretty much means the Al's offense cannot hurt you on every play. Even though Calvillo's final pass attempt with the Als down 7 hit Bratton on the letters in the endzone, it just might be time for him to call it a career or at least a change at the starting quarterback position. Maybe Calvillo can win the Grey Cup again if the Al's defense miraculously improves and their special teams can change the field position. Otherwise as-is, the Als are not contenders. Just like I said after the 1st game of the year between the two: The Als could not even squeak out a win at home.

This did not look like the Lion team of this year. Usually, they just move the ball with ease. Today, they did not even get a touchdown until a minute left in the game. That defense that roughed up everybody this year blew pass coverage multiple times and got burned. Stamps just looked like they were still in playoff mode after the big win last week. Lions looked like they were still in warm-ups. It would not surprise me if both Simon and Bruce are not there next year. Lions also have to figure out what to do about Bighill and Eliminian. Anyway, you gotta feel good about Kevin Glenn getting to the Grey Cup after he missed out on his chance in 2007.

I'm hoping for a great game next week.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
reply to ZZZZZZZ

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Brutal.......Lions worst game in 2 years and it has to be the Western Final.

Guess I'll be missing the Grey Cup.............I hate both teams.

Guess I'll go back to the NFL. I don't hate either team but I paid for my NFL Sunday Ticket.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE

Well at least 1 great thing happened at the game yesterday..........my buddy who was there won the 50/50 draw.

Lucky shit..............worth probably about $75 k.
--

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Yup. It was $75K. My dad was at the game and told me some guy from the interior won it. Not sure why he knew the location of the winner. They must have announced it somewhere.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE

Ya they always announce the amount and who won it at the hockey games.

You wonder why sometimes cause it must feel a little paranoid walking around after the games with that much $$$ on you.
--

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to btB

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is going to being getting an upgrade to his wardrobe when he has to wear a Stampeder Jersey to a Toronto city council meeting.

»www.calgarysun.com/2012/11/19/to···d-nenshi

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to ZZZZZZZ

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Well at least 1 great thing happened at the game yesterday..........my buddy who was there won the 50/50 draw.

Lucky shit..............worth probably about $75 k.

Your buddy Ulf?

I was there....the 50/50 sellers kept saying there was a chance it
would hit $100K. Still, $75K is cool.

FaxCap

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE

Yup Ulf from Kelowna.

He hasn't emailed me back yet........probably partying. lol
--

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is going to being getting an upgrade to his wardrobe when he has to wear a Stampeder Jersey to a Toronto city council meeting.

»www.calgarysun.com/2012/11/19/to···d-nenshi

Blake

Careful, I wrote the Argos off (and so did a lot of people I think) against the Als and we know how that turned out.

Argos right now are playing with "house money" since no one could have expected this outcome at the beginning of the season, that's bad news for Calgary.

NefCanuck

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to ZZZZZZZ

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Yup Ulf from Kelowna.

He hasn't emailed me back yet........probably partying. lol

Funny thing is I rode in on the Skytrain and the guy across from me
was from Kelowna headed to the game.

Man oh man that rebuilt BC Place is beautiful!!!!! Not hot and stuffy
anymore!!!

FaxCap

Kitlope

join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab
reply to zod5000

quote:
I lived in Edmonton for a while and I'd get a kick out of Ray winning the cup the year after they got rid of him.

Keep in mind this was all Tillman's idea who has since been skidded. That bonehead move of getting rid of Ray for virtually nothing in return has cost us the season and likely a few more. The details are coming out now and Eskies' coach Kavis Reed was not happy about this "trade", most of the organization wasn't and neither are most Edmontonians. I was never the biggest Ricky Ray fan myself but I know a bad deal when I see one and he was still the only reason the Eskies actually had a decent season the year before when they went 11-7 and made the playoffs for the first time in 4 years (not counting crossover). The dumb fuck Tillman sacked the Eskies in his short time here and I was never happier when I heard a few weeks ago he was fired. Good riddence to that sack of shit.

But yeah, I'll be going for the Argo's since as an Edmontonian I hate Calgary and would like Ray to win it... even if it unfortunately rubs some salt into our wounds. But rest assured this was a one man douchebag move and it's never been supported by any of us.

btB

@rr.com
reply to btB

In the game in Toronto this year, Tate was knocked out in the 1st quarter. Outcome was decided on a chipshot by Prefontaine on the final play of the game. Argos won the game in Calgary as well. So taking into account that the Argos won both games this year and the fact that the Stamps traditionally do not play well in Toronto, I would say the Stamps are hardly an automatic to win on Sunday. One thing that should concern Argos fans though is that Prefontaine is handling the punting duties. His short line-drive punts could give Taylor a chance for some big returns.

As far as the Ricky Ray trade goes, it is my opinion that the jury is still out on that one. That would depend if Nichols or anybody else they have there is the future. Ray was in a division with all mobile quarterbacks while he is not one. With the offensive line they had this year, Ray might have looked merely average if he stayed. Would the Eskimos won the East if Ray stayed? Probably not. Eskimos even beat the Argos twice this year but obviously lost in the playoff game. I know some people have questioned his arm-strength as well. Anyway what Tillman's believed was that Ray's high salary meant that the Eskimos has less flexibility in getting better players at other positions. So, that is why he got rid of Ray. Sounds good in theory, but you better have the right & better pieces to the puzzle if you are going to take apart what you already have. Obviously Reed was not happy with the trade because as a coach, he realizes that he may not be around by the time a new quarterback finally matures.

btB

@rr.com
reply to btB

18 point halftime lead by the Argos. Wow, 1st time all year that there are actually people in the stands cheering on the Argos. So far it looks like Glenn's goal was to actually play in the Grey Cup rather than to win won. If Tate were available, I bet he would have gone in already. Hopefully, will see a closer game in the 2nd half. After the hour-long halftime break that is.

btB

@rr.com

Down to 16 with 1 quarter left. Can the Stamps come back like they did against Rider Nation? We shall soon find out.

Expand your moderator at work

btB

@rr.com
reply to btB

Re: Official 2012 CFL Thread

With that TD, that just about wraps it up for the Argos. Who would have thought at the start of the year that the Argos would win the Grey Cup and Chad Kackert would be the MVP of the Game? Not me.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

OMG, Toronto won something! hehe...

btB

@rr.com
reply to btB

Interesting article written by Doug Brown today. His claim is that the Stamps were outcoached by the Argos. He basis for this assertion is that Chris Jones said during the postgame interview that the Argos had found some sort of tendency that often meant that the Stamps would run the ball. Jones did not say what it was though. Brown's reasoning is that the Argos had previously limited Cornish in both games this year. Plus, Brown said that the Stamps had the best offensive line this year, while the Argo's defense against the run was nothing special. Hence, the Stamps should have tried to figure out and/or make a change so the running plays would not be so obvious to the Argos.

Looks like Reinebold.was released as the Defensive Coordinator for the Als. If you think about it, it is amazing that he would be the 1st DC fired. Reason is that the Ti-Cats under Casey Creehan this year had one of the worst defenses in the history of the CFL. The Offensive Player of the Week almost always came from the team the Ti-Cats were playing against. It was not like they had stiffs playing for them either. Funny thing is that even though everybody expects Creehan to be fired, they expect him to land with the Bombers as their new DC.

btB

@rr.com

Als hire Noel Thorpe. Bombers hire Creehan.

Another year. Another defensive coordinator for the Als. With this position constantly changing, you begin to wonder if maybe it is not a coaching issue. Maybe, you just don't have enough good players on that side of the ball.

So, the team with the 2nd worst defense tries to improve by hiring a coordinator whose defense was worse than their own. Creehan was still under contract with the Ti-Cats, yet they made no effort to keep him even though this is a parallel move. Usually, teams do not allow parallel moves. Perhaps, the Ti-Cats were just happy to get rid of Creehan without having to pay him the final year of his contract. One could say that the Ti-Cat defense had more problems than just the coach. That could very well be a true statement. However, the defense did not respond to him at all. For the final Ti-Cats game this year, the defense need to step up if they want to go to the playoffs. Instead, the Ti-Cats gave up over 300 passing yards to Argos who consisted of 3 backup quarterbacks and Chad Owens.

btB

@rr.com

Marcus Brady is the new Offensive Coordinator for the Argos. Als had him signed only to a one year contract. Pretty sure Trestman called the plays for Montreal. Milanovich did the same with Toronto and will continue until he is confident enough to turn things over to Brady. So even though Brady has been and was named the new OC, nobody can say definitely whether he is a good OC or not. Wonder who the Als will now hire to hold the clipboard (I mean become their new OC).

btB

@rr.com

Wow. New Eskimo GM (who was formerly their head scout) Ed Hervey buried former GM Eric Tillman.

Hervey says he had hated working there and had no relationship with Tillman. He further stated that the EE would no longer mean Ego Empire meaning that Tillman considered himself the expert and was making sure everybody knew that. Hervey also states that under Tillman, Kavis Reed was doing things that the GM should be doing instead. He also mentioned that unlike Tillman, he would not be in the media so often or doing radio shows. Instead, Hervey said that his only job is to build the football team.

Although I cannot say one way or the other whether Hervey will do a good job with the Eskimos, I would not be surprised though if he was the one leading the coup to oust the previous regime.

btB

@rr.com
reply to btB

Big news for the second day in a row. Ti-Cats ousts both O'Billovich & Cortez. What is surprising is that the Ti-Cats last year made it seemed that there master plan all along was to get Cortez. Now just after 1 year, the guy is already gone. It seems to me that the Ti-Cats will go after bigger-names rather giving an opportunity to a youngster. That would mean people such as Austin, LaPolice, Marshall, and perhaps even Tillman.

btB

@rr.com

Guess we now know why both O'Billovich & Cortez were removed at the same time. Ti-Cats had promised that position to Austin. Although I suppose Austin is the guy that everybody with an opening wanted, you wonder if he can live up to expectations in Hamilton. Maybe. Maybe not.

Kitlope

join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Thanks for the updates, nice to see what's going on in the off season in a single thread.

Hopefully the Eskies can get things together under Hervey.

btB

@rr.com

I'm just glad there is interest in the league. Strange that Hervey is making Shaw the highest paid kicker in the CFL. Guess Shaw was the most important part of the Ricky Ray trade. Nah; can't be. Eskimos will have to decide whether 2013 is for Nichols or bring in somebody like Mike Riley.

The other big topics of discussion recently is:

(1) speculation that Tillman may somehow end up in Hamilton with Austin. Austin can't do everything himself, so why not hire somebody he trusts.

(2) Tim Tebow might having trouble finding NFL employment next year as a quarterback. The Als have his rights so people are debating whether Tebow is a good fit or not in this league. Trestman likes him, so I am sure if given the opportunity, he would welcome Tebow. Perhaps he could be a change-of-pace quarterback with Calvillo. Either that or a short yardage guy. Could he be a starter with the Als? Probably not anytime in the near future.