Search similar:

uniqs

btB
@rr.com

btB to btB

Anon

to btB

Re: Official 2012 CFL Thread

With that TD, that just about wraps it up for the Argos. Who would have thought at the start of the year that the Argos would win the Grey Cup and Chad Kackert would be the MVP of the Game? Not me.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

OMG, Toronto won something! hehe...

btB
@rr.com

btB to btB

Anon

to btB
Interesting article written by Doug Brown today. His claim is that the Stamps were outcoached by the Argos. He basis for this assertion is that Chris Jones said during the postgame interview that the Argos had found some sort of tendency that often meant that the Stamps would run the ball. Jones did not say what it was though. Brown's reasoning is that the Argos had previously limited Cornish in both games this year. Plus, Brown said that the Stamps had the best offensive line this year, while the Argo's defense against the run was nothing special. Hence, the Stamps should have tried to figure out and/or make a change so the running plays would not be so obvious to the Argos.

Looks like Reinebold.was released as the Defensive Coordinator for the Als. If you think about it, it is amazing that he would be the 1st DC fired. Reason is that the Ti-Cats under Casey Creehan this year had one of the worst defenses in the history of the CFL. The Offensive Player of the Week almost always came from the team the Ti-Cats were playing against. It was not like they had stiffs playing for them either. Funny thing is that even though everybody expects Creehan to be fired, they expect him to land with the Bombers as their new DC.
btB

btB

Anon

Als hire Noel Thorpe. Bombers hire Creehan.

Another year. Another defensive coordinator for the Als. With this position constantly changing, you begin to wonder if maybe it is not a coaching issue. Maybe, you just don't have enough good players on that side of the ball.

So, the team with the 2nd worst defense tries to improve by hiring a coordinator whose defense was worse than their own. Creehan was still under contract with the Ti-Cats, yet they made no effort to keep him even though this is a parallel move. Usually, teams do not allow parallel moves. Perhaps, the Ti-Cats were just happy to get rid of Creehan without having to pay him the final year of his contract. One could say that the Ti-Cat defense had more problems than just the coach. That could very well be a true statement. However, the defense did not respond to him at all. For the final Ti-Cats game this year, the defense need to step up if they want to go to the playoffs. Instead, the Ti-Cats gave up over 300 passing yards to Argos who consisted of 3 backup quarterbacks and Chad Owens.
btB

btB

Anon

Marcus Brady is the new Offensive Coordinator for the Argos. Als had him signed only to a one year contract. Pretty sure Trestman called the plays for Montreal. Milanovich did the same with Toronto and will continue until he is confident enough to turn things over to Brady. So even though Brady has been and was named the new OC, nobody can say definitely whether he is a good OC or not. Wonder who the Als will now hire to hold the clipboard (I mean become their new OC).
btB

btB

Anon

Wow. New Eskimo GM (who was formerly their head scout) Ed Hervey buried former GM Eric Tillman.

Hervey says he had hated working there and had no relationship with Tillman. He further stated that the EE would no longer mean Ego Empire meaning that Tillman considered himself the expert and was making sure everybody knew that. Hervey also states that under Tillman, Kavis Reed was doing things that the GM should be doing instead. He also mentioned that unlike Tillman, he would not be in the media so often or doing radio shows. Instead, Hervey said that his only job is to build the football team.

Although I cannot say one way or the other whether Hervey will do a good job with the Eskimos, I would not be surprised though if he was the one leading the coup to oust the previous regime.
btB

btB to btB

Anon

to btB
Big news for the second day in a row. Ti-Cats ousts both O'Billovich & Cortez. What is surprising is that the Ti-Cats last year made it seemed that there master plan all along was to get Cortez. Now just after 1 year, the guy is already gone. It seems to me that the Ti-Cats will go after bigger-names rather giving an opportunity to a youngster. That would mean people such as Austin, LaPolice, Marshall, and perhaps even Tillman.
btB

btB

Anon

Guess we now know why both O'Billovich & Cortez were removed at the same time. Ti-Cats had promised that position to Austin. Although I suppose Austin is the guy that everybody with an opening wanted, you wonder if he can live up to expectations in Hamilton. Maybe. Maybe not.

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope

Thanks for the updates, nice to see what's going on in the off season in a single thread.

Hopefully the Eskies can get things together under Hervey.

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

I'm just glad there is interest in the league. Strange that Hervey is making Shaw the highest paid kicker in the CFL. Guess Shaw was the most important part of the Ricky Ray trade. Nah; can't be. Eskimos will have to decide whether 2013 is for Nichols or bring in somebody like Mike Riley.

The other big topics of discussion recently is:

(1) speculation that Tillman may somehow end up in Hamilton with Austin. Austin can't do everything himself, so why not hire somebody he trusts.

(2) Tim Tebow might having trouble finding NFL employment next year as a quarterback. The Als have his rights so people are debating whether Tebow is a good fit or not in this league. Trestman likes him, so I am sure if given the opportunity, he would welcome Tebow. Perhaps he could be a change-of-pace quarterback with Calvillo. Either that or a short yardage guy. Could he be a starter with the Als? Probably not anytime in the near future.

btB

btB to btB

Anon

to btB
Today's tidbit concerning the CFL is that Rogers Centre might have grass installed. Great news right? Well, maybe not for the Argos. Seems that the Blue Jays would not want the field damaged because of football. So word has it that the Argos were given notice to start looking for a new home should Rogers put in grass. Luckily for the Argos, this would be at least 2 years from now which hopefully is enough time to find another home should it be needed.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Good. The Rogers Centre is oversized for them anyways.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to btB

Premium Member

to btB

Lions sign Lulay to extension

»www.lists.canada.com/t/2 ··· 26178/0/

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner to btB

Premium Member

to btB

Alouettes need a new coach now that Trestman is the new head guy in Chicago.

»www.cbc.ca/sports/footba ··· man.html

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

And all the naysayers said that Jeff Reinebold was no benefit. Trestman obviously picked up some job interviewing skills from dealing with Reinebold.

Anyway, some people are now suggesting that Trestman might hire Scott Milanovich has QB coach. That would be crazy. If that were to happen, I would think that Chris Jones might be a head coach with either the Argos or Als. That might also pave the way for Kent Austin to lead the Ti-Cats to the Grey Cup in Saskatchewan.

One word of advice to Trestman: You will be under the microscope enough already as you are coming from a league that is not well-respected. You do not need to bring with you someone who was in charge of the worst part of the Als (special teams).
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned)

Jim Popp has already received permission to interview Chris Jones for the head coach job in Montreal.

Maybe he'll be able to fix the one thing Trestman wasn't able to shape up, the defense (especially in the back field). It's been getting worse and worse every year since Jones left the DC position in Montreal.

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

Jones would help any defense because the guy likes to go to as many cities as possible and hold free agent tryouts. That is why he also gets the title of Assistant General Manager. The guy literally goes all over to find players himself.

If Jones were to become the Als' head coach, he would need somebody to run the offense. Maybe George Cortez as the Eskimos seem interested in him for that position, so maybe there is a chance he will be coaching somewhere even though he is still getting paid by Hamilton.

Right now the person who holds the offensive coordinator title in Edmonton is Kavis Reed as Marcus Crandell was demoted to Quarterbacks Coach near the end of this past season. Reed obviously is not somebody who should be the OC of a CFL team. Not sure why the Eskimos have been taking so long naming an OC.

As far as the Als go, Popp is unpredictable enough that I would not be surprised if the head coaching job went to somebody you would not think of.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

Alouettes need a new coach now that Trestman is the new head guy in Chicago.

»www.cbc.ca/sports/footba ··· man.html

The Bears probably chose because of his past references. He was an offensive coordinator with San Francisco, Arizona and Oakland. The Bears hope he can get the most out of quarterback Jay Cutler. Although his success in the CFL probably helped.

Still its hard to look at Trestman and think of the Bears as the Monsters of the Midway.

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

Trestman to me looks like the head coach for a college Chess team. This guy is the coach of a football team, yet he looks like he has never been outdoors? No drill sergeant hair cut either. He looks like he is wearing a toupée because of his hair style.

Here is something you don't see often: a head coach saying that 2 of his assistants should be considered head coaching candidates for another team. Mike Benevides is promoting offensive coordinator Jacques Chapdelaine and defensive backs coach Mark Washington for the Als. Is Mike Benevides just a nice guy trying to help his staff move up, or is it something else? Seems like most people would not stand in the way of a promotion but not advertise them to others if they are of significant value.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to btB

to btB
said by btB :

As far as the Als go, Popp is unpredictable enough that I would not be surprised if the head coaching job went to somebody you would not think of.

Actually in Montreal Popp is pretty much only a secretary to Bob Wettenhall (the owner of the team) when it comes to head coach decisions. I agree we may be surprised by who ends up with the job though.

Wettenhall is very hands-on with those decisions, and it was him who interviewed Trestman four years ago (they knew each other from previous dealings).

Besides, Popp seems to be a bit busy trying to find himself a job in the NFL right now. He's a great GM but I don't think he's NFL-great.

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

Popp said that he does not expect a GM job offer from the NFL, so that means Popp most likely will be back in 2013.

Eskimos learned today that old lesson: You snooze; you lose. They had an opening for their offensive coordinator since before the season ended. Everybody knew they wanted George Cortez. So what happens? Rider Nation picks him up after only a few days after Corey Chamblin first contacted him.

Wait a minute. Riders already had Bob Dyce in that position. Guess Dyce is getting a demotion. Maybe he will be like Marcus Crandell and end up as the quarterback coach.

Speaking of the Eskimos, it looks like they released Steven Jyles. Will there be interest elsewhere? Eric Tillman is not a GM anywhere, so I say most likely not.
btB

btB to btB

Anon

to btB
We now know that Chris Jones will not be coaching the Als next season. Sounds like Jones was not close at all at getting the job. Wonder if there is any dirt behind the scenes on why his name was pulled relatively quickly? Reason I asked this is Jones and Popp are supposedly not the best of buddies. Maybe that is the main reason.

Kavis Reed might actually announce an offensive coordinator within a week or so. About time. Hope it is worth the wait. Eskimos need to figure out what to do at qb. They already let go Jyles, probably will let go Joseph, and are unsure about Nichols' injury from last year. They might be interested in McPherson, but that is hardly a sure thing in my opinion. Let's see if they can out-maneuver the Bombers and get Reilly (or somebody else) that can be an unquestioned #1 quarterback.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to btB

Premium Member

to btB

Not very classy move by the Lions

The B.C. Lions have announced that longtime receiver Geroy Simon has been traded to the Saskatchewan Roughriders

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

Writing was on the wall that Simon was not going to be back for 2013. After he was injured late in the year, the Lions were not overly concerned about his return. In one game after his return, Simon was even asked at halftime if he was surprised that passes were actually being thrown his way. Hence, the coaching staff had already decided that Simon was no longer their #1 receiver or even a significant contributor in the future. With that being known, something had to give since Simon's salary for 2013 would far outweigh his contribution on the field.

Reduced playing time would probably have been okay with Simon, but then he would have also have to take a big salary cut. If you are a football team managing a salary cap, you have to pay your productive player more than your less productive players. Simon was not willing to take THAT MUCH of a salary reduction. That is actually reasonable as Simon is nearing the end of his career. This negotiating with the Riders have been going on for over a month now. Evidently, the Riders feel that Simon would be one of their better receivers and are willing give him less of a pay cut than if he had stayed with the Lions.

So to me, there were no losers in this trade. Lions just needed Simon's salary to spend on other players. Same thing applied to Arland Bruce and Byron Parker. Riders got a receiver who they think can help them. And probably most of important of all, Simon gets the salary he thinks he deserves. That is how the business of sports works. I thought the process was actually done with some class.
btB

btB to btB

Anon

to btB

Eskimos named Doug Sams as offensive coordinator. Honestly, I did not even know he was the quarterback coach with the Ti-Cats last year. I know their first choice was George Cortez, so maybe this is the next best thing.

Kavis Reed also named former Rider head coach Greg Marshall as defensive coordinator. Another wait a minute moment. I don't remember Mark Nelson being removed from that position. Just like Crandell, it looks like Nelson will be demoted (to linebacker coach). Marshall should be fine as long as he is not required to give any motivational speeches. Luckily, Reed is good in that department.

It looks like everybody in the CFL is done filling their coaching staff except Montreal. Als have almost nobody. It looks like leftovers or folks with little or no CFL experience for the Als unless they raid other teams.
btB

btB to btB

Anon

to btB
Ottawa Redblacks??? Yuck!!! Even though most polls gave that name a thumbs-down in the neighborhood of 90% against, it seems like owner Jeff Hunt is strongly in favor of that name.

Word sounds like the derogatory term used to describe illegal immigrants who swim across the border. Name also sounds like the team is named after TSN announcer Rod Black which again is not a compliment.

Hunt's theory is that it does not matter what the name is called. It is what they represent that is most important. I say why make yourselves the laughing-stock of team names when you can avoid it.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Redblacks is horrible...but strangely, Rouge et Noir has a nice ring to it, in direct comparison to Laval University's sports teams.

I would like to see a name representative of Ottawa. I don't really care if the "R" stays.

Maybe Les Capitales. It's too bad '67's is taken. Even "Rivermen" or "Raftsmen" would work. Or for fun, Beavertails.

btB
@rr.com

btB to btB

Anon

to btB
At least Ed Hervey learned a lesson from being too slow in getting George Cortez. Instead of waiting 2 weeks for free agency to start, Hervey gets aggressive and trades for Mike Reilly. Looks like the Eskimos expect Reilly to be the starter and not Matt Nichols.

Bomber supporters were hoping that Reilly might go there instead. With quarterback options being reduced by one, it looks more likely it will be Buck Pierce + nothing-special backups once again for 2013.
btB

btB to btB

Anon

to btB
Hervey is at it again. Jerome Messam gets traded to the Als for a 6th round draft choice. This tells me that the Eskimos either do not think he is worth the money and/or they think Messam has lost it. As both the Lions and Stamps have non-import starting backs, you would think that a 2011-Messam who was named top Canadian would have some sort of value. Apparently, not much.

Als probably wanted him for a few reasons. One is that they got him for not much. Secondly, they are unsure of the status of Brandon Whitaker. Whitaker had a season-ending injury last year and can be a free agent in a week. Even if he is 100% healthy, Popp probably figures he can use Messam on the roster to potentially lower what Whitaker is willing to sign for. I do not see them playing together for the Als. Only way is if one is injured or one is on the practice roster. Of course, Whitaker could just sign elsewhere in a week or so
btB

btB to btB

Anon

to btB
So the Als think that their unconventional formula for selecting head coaches (which resulted in Marc Trestman in 5 years ago) is a winner. That means another coach with no CFL experience: Dan Hawkins. Rumor has it that Mike Miller will be the offensive coordinator who likewise has no CFL experience. Let me put it this way. I am sure that I watched more than 76 times the number of games (there were 77 played) that they did put together. It might turn out that Hawkins and Miller are fantastic CFL coaches. My point is that the odds are against them.

So much for last year's coordinators Marcus Crandell and Mark Nelson coming back in 2013. Strange in that the Eskimos did not put out a release saying they were gone and then search for replacements. Instead, replacements were found and then the only way you knew they were gone was when the Eskimos put out a press release naming the 2013 staff.