join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

They've lost their sense of direction

I believe Cisco has started to lose their sense of direction for what they're looking to accomplish in their business. While I'm sure they're not going to go piss off the enterprise and service provider market by pulling these tricks since that's where all of their money is selling powerful Firewall and Routing appliances (or gear, whichever term you use to identify network gear as a whole), Cisco seems to be more concerned with trafficking data to sell it, and to sell more gear based on that traffic than to actually build hardware and write respective software for them. This "pushed firmware" is just wrong on so many levels based on what their ultimate intentions are with it. "Higher end" users that still preferred Linksys routers with stock firmware will be irked, and Cisco could have very well put some people at an inconvenience by flashing the routes remotely or relying on auto-update to do it. A lot of stuff breaks from that kind of upgrade.

Linksys will never be the same again I'm afraid. Gone are the days of the units actually being decent (WRT54G(*) for example). This Cisco Cloud router-based management is yet another thing to bug up in the router to cause all sorts of issues down the road, and yet another thing to waste CPU cycles and RAM decreasing the performance of the unit. Can't say I've seen third party firmware bug out enough to cause a minor inconvenience (eg: Change a setting, something is fixed, or UPnP is broken, so you just reload the daemon via cron every now and again). Either way, Cisco's going in the wrong direction. I'm also afraid they're setting a role-model for other manufacturers too.
firedrakes

join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

Re: They've lost their sense of direction

well they did do something illegal change tos with out user knowledge automatically. with out user consent

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

said by firedrakes:

well they did do something illegal change tos with out user knowledge automatically. with out user consent

I myself can't chime into whether or not it is illegal, but from my understanding there's usually a clause saying that the Terms of Service can change without warning or notification. It's still wrong on so many levels to do this though, especially to networking gear itself without letting users know if it is a true phone-home and backdoor rather than a case of automatic updates gone wrong. For software, I do agree when the ToS changes, there has to be an accept or deny button to press. If Deny, firmware doesn't get installed. If 192.168.1.1 can be redirected to a walled garden rather than the built-in httpd server then they can very well make a one-time agreement appear.

I can see the use of the new Cloud features, and why people would want them, but even then, a bit of notification would have gone a long way. Even so, selling a Cisco Cloud Connect router advertising these features directly rather than an overnight upgrade would have been better. The ToS is still on shaky grounds either way though.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

There is no practical need for cloud router access. There just isnt.

Ma and Pa Kettle are never going to login after the router is set up. The english major will never login after the router is setup.

There is no need for this service.

It is and will always remain a data collection service for Cisco so that they can monetize your personal browsing history to sell to others.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

Exactly! It's why I'm not a fan of it as I cannot see the actual point of having these services built-in to a router in the first place. That kind of stuff just doesn't belong there since a router's job is to route packets. It's the same reason why I'm not a fan of using routers for NAS via USB, as they are just not built for such use. But like I said, I can see how some people might want them but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the "old way" of doing things locally on the router. Adding router settings changes is a security risk in my view and also another thing to bug out the router.
Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
TOS can change, but not without notification.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

said by Skippy25:

TOS can change, but not without notification.

Really??? Since when???
Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

If they were not required to do so, they would never spend the money informing you of anything. They pay lots of money to send out notification of changes. Do you think they do that voluntarily out of the goodness of their hearts?