Search similar:

uniqs
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

New avast update adds "emergency update" task?

I just updated avast and afterwords I found a new task scheduled in the task scheduler called "avast! Emergency Update". Any one know anything about this?

I prefer to turn all auto-update things off and update everything myself. I don't like things auto-updating on their own. I have avast set not to auto-update so what is this new thing?

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium Member
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub

1 recommendation

Smokey Bear

Premium Member

In discussion on the avast forum: »forum.avast.com/index.ph ··· 100291.0

HTH
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Wow! It sure is buggy according to the Avast thread.

What is the point of it if you seldom boot/reboot? It only checks at boot. What is it with all these companies now seemingly obsessed with stuff the checks stuff at boot? I studiously avoid booting. Someone here recently said they hadn't booted for a whole year and finally decided to so as to get Microsoft updates installed. That would be great...to not boot for a whole year! I haven't gone anywhere near that long but on a new computer, I shouldn't need to boot hardly ever (once all programs are installed) so I don't get the point of this new Avast task. i guess it is intended just for laptop users. It wouldn't work for me even if I did boot frequently as I do not login (apparently this task won't work if you boot directly to the desktop with no login) and I routinely disable Task Scheduler on a computer.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

2 recommendations

vaxvms

Premium Member

I don't get it. What is wrong with rebooting? Will the world come to a screeching halt? What harm is caused by rebooting? Please explain.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

Nothing is wrong with rebooting but MOST PEOPLE DISRESPECT THIER COMPUTERS BY LEAVING THEM ON 24/7!! (Wasting resources,etc)

bitemeboy
join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY

bitemeboy to Sentinel

to Sentinel

Re: New avast update adds "emergency update" task?

Dude111 has it right! Why would you never turn your computer off? Oh, wait. That's because you are all using Windows and all that spyware, overt and covert, not to mention, exciting, unexpected updates of who knows what, wouldn't function.
Or is it you're afraid Windows will shut down and never come back? Yeah, you better leave your computers on 24/7.
What a hit on the economy if the malware/spyware companies weren't needed!
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

2 recommendations

Sentinel to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear
Back on topic ... it seems as though this is an "emergency" way for Avast to push updates to you if "they" feel they need to. I don't like that.

Has anyone tried removing this? Does it go away or does it come back or have other ways of accomplishing its goals?

I have my firewall set to block all traffic for which there is no specific rule so this won't (shouldn't) work anyway so for me it is pretty useless. When I update my AV I always activate my temp rule to allow update and disable when done so I see no reason to have this.

But I don't want to remove it if it will fry my system or stop the AV from working.

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-26

hayc59 to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
I also would like to turn this feature off!!

avastme
@centurytel.net

avastme to Sentinel

Anon

to Sentinel
Emergency Updater is the first new feature that is integrated in all three versions of Avast. It has been designed for situations where the Avast updater is not working properly anymore. In the past, this meant that Avast users to to reinstall the whole program to get the updater to work again. With the Emergency Updater integrated into Avast, it is now possible to push updates even if the default Avast Service is not working anymore.

»www.ghacks.net/2012/06/3 ··· eatures/

If you wanted to know what this is for look above.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
what's the ''aswOffertool.exe''?

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium Member
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub

Smokey Bear

Premium Member

said by ZZZZZZZ:
what's the ''aswOffertool.exe''?

Avast! Offer Installation Tool - Directory: %TEMP%\_av_sfx.tm~a05656\aswOfferTool.exe - Operating System: Win7 - Discovered: Jun 29 2012 »systemexplorer.net/filer ··· 10986763

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Ya I found that on Google too ,but this is an XP machine and it still doesn't tell me what the hell it is
ZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

»forum.avast.com/index.ph ··· 100404.0

just started a thread at Avast if anyone else is interested to find out what it is.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

It seems disrespectful to just use the computer whenever you feel the urge, and the roll over and ignore it immediately you're done.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

It doesn't have to do with "respect" for the computer or "going green", etc. Where I live it means either replacing your computer about every two years or being able to use it for 5, 6, 7, etc years. If you buy cheap, throwaway computers (which is what most do here because of the climate) then you want to get a new one about every two years so it works fine to be turning it off frequently so it dies faster. But if you want to buy a higher end computer which you want to work more than two years then you never turn it off or even hibernate it. That prolongs the life in a marine environment in a tropical rainforest with warm weather all year round and no air-conditioning.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave

Premium Member

No point in arguing with me on the subject, I leave all my desktop computers on (but slept - just enough power to keep the RAM alive). I'm just laughing at the dude's notion of 'respect' for the computer.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Re: New avast update adds "emergency update" task?

So has anyone tried removing or disabling this yet? Any results?

FF4m3
@bhn.net

FF4m3 to Sentinel

Anon

to Sentinel
Can it be disabled in Task Scheduler?

From Ghacks:

Avast users who have updated to the new version should see the avast! Emergency Update task in the Windows Task Scheduler. The task is triggered during log on of a user, and once daily, and does not need to be launched manually (even though it may be possible, it is located in C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastEmUpdate.exe).

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

And yet on 3 different OSs ,there is no entry for me?

W2K,XP and W7,nothing in the TS.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

1 recommendation

MarkAW

Premium Member

said by ZZZZZZZ:

And yet on 3 different OSs ,there is no entry for me?

W2K,XP and W7,nothing in the TS.

I don't see it in Windows Task Scheduler but it is found in C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastEmUpdate.exe on my Windows 7 Professional ( Avast pro) and Windows 7 Premium (Avast free) systems.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

goalieskates to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Wow! It sure is buggy according to the Avast thread.

I got the same impression. If I'm reading it right, a "fixed" version will happen next week. So even though Avast has been nagging me mightily, I've been ignoring it for now.

But whether the "fixed" version will allow one to decline this "feature" isn't clear ...

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to MarkAW

MVM

to MarkAW
Why anyone should have to go that far to turn it off is unacceptable to me.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to MarkAW

Premium Member

to MarkAW
Yes I have that process too.............wonder what would happen if you renamed it?

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

1 recommendation

MarkAW

Premium Member

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Yes I have that process too.............wonder what would happen if you renamed it?

Don't know, i'd rather wait for a fix than mess around with it.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
Be careful about updating Avast through the internal updater. It appears to add Google Chrome without prompt or giving the user a chance to opt out. I had to manually uninstall it after rebooting.

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-26

hayc59

Premium Member

said by Doctor Four:

Be careful about updating Avast through the internal updater. It appears to add Google Chrome without prompt or giving the user a chance to opt out. I had to manually uninstall it after rebooting.

I was given the option to opt out or
not on my install
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
If you don't use Task Scheduler just disable it in Services. Then Avast's task cannot run. This is a simple way to fix the problem.

If you use Task Scheduler for other tasks and thus don't want to disable it, Igor says you can delete this file and it won't hurt Avast at all. He says it will probably be reinstalled though on the next program update. So, you would have to delete it again after a program update.

Unfortunately, Igor doesn't seem to grasp why some folks don't want this new "feature". Igor is very smart so I think he is deliberately playing obtuse here but I am not sure why. The buggy part...yeah...I get that is unexpected but the objections and the desire to turn it off...I know Igor expected this so why he is answering as he is in the thread puzzles me. I hope he decides to make it so that if users delete the file that it will not automatically be reinstalled with the next program update.

Ideally, Avast should make it possible for users to turn off the task but NOT delete the file because the file can be executed from the Avast folder so a knowledgeable user if finding themselves in a situation where activating this file would be helpful can still have the ability to do that but also have the task disabled in Task Scheduler.

What bothers me about this is that while Igor insists this is designed to run ONLY IN A VERY RARE CIRCUMSTANCE, he sees nothing wrong with the task checking EVERY DAY (assuming you start up or login every day) with Avast. Something stinks here.

There are several threads in Avast forum warning to NOT allow updating INTERNALLY. Evidently, Avast never fixed the problem with the previous version installing Chrome without asking. Users are saying this is happening again if you use the internal updater so beware of that (unless you have been wanting Chrome).

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

1 recommendation

caffeinator to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59
said by hayc59:

I was given the option to opt out or
not on my install

Same here, a nice big dialog with two check boxes for Chrome. Pretty standard nowadays, I'm afraid.

I noticed that the check boxes for reporting to the Avast account (which I don't have) and the one for participating in the Community were checked. I know I'd unchecked them last time.

Damn cloud crap is taking over, I tell ya.

Other than that, seems fine here. I only allow updates for defs and engine, program updates have to ask. Streaming updates are disabled as well.

I only see the main avast service and UI tasks running. Checked services.msc and only those two were listed as well.

FF4m3
@bhn.net

FF4m3 to Mele20

Anon

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Igor says you can delete this file and it won't hurt Avast at all. He says it will probably be reinstalled though on the next program update. So, you would have to delete it again after a program update.

If accurate then 'CCleaner' users can add it to Options>Include for deletion.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
All I see on my machines is the avast task in task scheduler. I only have one service under services for avast.

I do like to disable task scheduler and I always did in XP. But I don't have task scheduler disabled now because I am not familiar enough with Windows 7 to disable it and I have heard that there are numerous items in Windows 7 that need to use it and disabling it will cause you problems. But that is a topic for another topic and I don't want to derail my own thread

So then is it safe to delete the task?