Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Mele20

Re: New avast update adds "emergency update" task?

said by Mele20:

Wow! It sure is buggy according to the Avast thread.

I got the same impression. If I'm reading it right, a "fixed" version will happen next week. So even though Avast has been nagging me mightily, I've been ignoring it for now.

But whether the "fixed" version will allow one to decline this "feature" isn't clear ...

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
reply to MarkAW
Why anyone should have to go that far to turn it off is unacceptable to me.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to MarkAW
Yes I have that process too.............wonder what would happen if you renamed it?
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16

1 recommendation

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Yes I have that process too.............wonder what would happen if you renamed it?

Don't know, i'd rather wait for a fix than mess around with it.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX
reply to Sentinel
Be careful about updating Avast through the internal updater. It appears to add Google Chrome without prompt or giving the user a chance to opt out. I had to manually uninstall it after rebooting.
--
I, for one, welcome our new Computer Overlords.

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21
said by Doctor Four:

Be careful about updating Avast through the internal updater. It appears to add Google Chrome without prompt or giving the user a chance to opt out. I had to manually uninstall it after rebooting.

I was given the option to opt out or
not on my install

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Sentinel
If you don't use Task Scheduler just disable it in Services. Then Avast's task cannot run. This is a simple way to fix the problem.

If you use Task Scheduler for other tasks and thus don't want to disable it, Igor says you can delete this file and it won't hurt Avast at all. He says it will probably be reinstalled though on the next program update. So, you would have to delete it again after a program update.

Unfortunately, Igor doesn't seem to grasp why some folks don't want this new "feature". Igor is very smart so I think he is deliberately playing obtuse here but I am not sure why. The buggy part...yeah...I get that is unexpected but the objections and the desire to turn it off...I know Igor expected this so why he is answering as he is in the thread puzzles me. I hope he decides to make it so that if users delete the file that it will not automatically be reinstalled with the next program update.

Ideally, Avast should make it possible for users to turn off the task but NOT delete the file because the file can be executed from the Avast folder so a knowledgeable user if finding themselves in a situation where activating this file would be helpful can still have the ability to do that but also have the task disabled in Task Scheduler.

What bothers me about this is that while Igor insists this is designed to run ONLY IN A VERY RARE CIRCUMSTANCE, he sees nothing wrong with the task checking EVERY DAY (assuming you start up or login every day) with Avast. Something stinks here.

There are several threads in Avast forum warning to NOT allow updating INTERNALLY. Evidently, Avast never fixed the problem with the previous version installing Chrome without asking. Users are saying this is happening again if you use the internal updater so beware of that (unless you have been wanting Chrome).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to hayc59
said by hayc59:

I was given the option to opt out or
not on my install

Same here, a nice big dialog with two check boxes for Chrome. Pretty standard nowadays, I'm afraid.

I noticed that the check boxes for reporting to the Avast account (which I don't have) and the one for participating in the Community were checked. I know I'd unchecked them last time.

Damn cloud crap is taking over, I tell ya.

Other than that, seems fine here. I only allow updates for defs and engine, program updates have to ask. Streaming updates are disabled as well.

I only see the main avast service and UI tasks running. Checked services.msc and only those two were listed as well.
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

FF4m3

@bhn.net
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Igor says you can delete this file and it won't hurt Avast at all. He says it will probably be reinstalled though on the next program update. So, you would have to delete it again after a program update.

If accurate then 'CCleaner' users can add it to Options>Include for deletion.

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
reply to Mele20
All I see on my machines is the avast task in task scheduler. I only have one service under services for avast.

I do like to disable task scheduler and I always did in XP. But I don't have task scheduler disabled now because I am not familiar enough with Windows 7 to disable it and I have heard that there are numerous items in Windows 7 that need to use it and disabling it will cause you problems. But that is a topic for another topic and I don't want to derail my own thread

So then is it safe to delete the task?

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
reply to caffeinator
Yes, I noticed that as well and I had to un-check those boxes again too.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to Sentinel
I stopped using Avast! after the latest release update fiasco and drive-by Chrome install. These new "enhancements" aren't encouraging me to try it again.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
quote:
These new "enhancements" aren't encouraging me to try it again.
It's still the best free AVP around.

Avira had it's own fiasco a few times and MSE isn't even in the same ballpark as Avast.

It would be helpful to find out why some people are having certain problems and other machines aren't.

As I said I installed it on 3 different OSs through the internal updater and it gave me the option to install Chrome on my WXP and W7 machines but naturally didn't on my W2K cause it's not compatible.

And I didn't have that entry in any of the TS.
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Sentinel
You have to look for it in Startup or use Autoruns as an admin to see it.

Yeah, you won't hurt Avast if you either delete the file, rename the file, or let CCleaner delete it (assuming you use it). It will be installed again the next time Avast has a PROGRAM update so if you have CCleaner you could set it to delete the file anytime Avast reinstalls it. For years now, I have deleted a file from Avira. I don't use Windows Security Center and this Avira file was checking EVERY 3 MINUTES to see if Avira was properly listed in Security Center. I deleted the file. Avira would reinstall it whenever there was a program update. But I already had program updates on "notify me if there is one but do nothing else" and then I would manually update.

It was a bit tricky as Avira would notify me of a program "update" when the update was ONLY the reinstallation of this file I had deleted so I wouldn't have the constant querying of Security Center that I have disabled in XP. So, I had to stay knowledgeable of when there was an Avira program update that involved more than replacing a file I had deleted and so I could refrain from doing a manual program update unless there was an update involving more than replacing that one file. I don't know if Avast will act like Avira did (during the time the old version I still use was supported and had program updates) and tell you there is a program update when all it consists of is a replacement of the file you renamed/deleted. But yes, Igor said clearly that it won't hurt Avast in any way if you delete/rename the file.

So as to not derail your thread, thus, a very brief comment, but I am getting my first Win 7 computer soon. I didn't know I couldn't safely disable Task Scheduler. Ugh...so much I will have to learn when I get the new computer.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Boris Karlov

@reserver.ru
reply to Ian
said by Ian:

I stopped using Avast! after the latest release update fiasco and drive-by Chrome install. These new "enhancements" aren't encouraging me to try it again.

Avast is junk anyway, but any product that pushes Chrome is a product I won't give a dime to, or become an enabler by even using them. I gave the booy to CCleaner after they started pushing Chrome installations, switch to Bleachbit and SystemNinja, both are better anyway.

Avast has done some really shady things lately, and with Webroot costing a mere $4.95 for the Essential version, why bother with inferior products?

Boris Karlov

@reserver.ru
reply to bitemeboy
said by bitemeboy:

Dude111 has it right! Why would you never turn your computer off? Oh, wait. That's because you are all using Windows and all that spyware, overt and covert, not to mention, exciting, unexpected updates of who knows what, wouldn't function.
Or is it you're afraid Windows will shut down and never come back? Yeah, you better leave your computers on 24/7.
What a hit on the economy if the malware/spyware companies weren't needed!

Leaving a windows box on is actually a hideous habit. Considering all of the various wake-on pings one can do, and remote activates, as well as what you already mention.. Hidden processes, random updates, and a billions of trojans designed to work under those conditions.

It's a good habit to also have a net-switch to kill your internet when you are not monitoring your PC, and when you shut it off. Absolutely disabling everything but QOS (including disabling IPv6, File Sharing protocols, Teredo, ISATAP, NCSI callbacks, MSSpynet, RA, etc). I mean seriously guys..

Pathlock was one of the best PC defenses around, too bad they are out of business. Even Steve Gibson said it was the most effective product for hardening a machine. Thankfully I own a couple of them for if I ever run windows. Hardened Linux OS's like Mageia, SElinux, or Redbox I can see leaving on - forever - not like anything is going to hit those and make it through. Pwn2Own hackers can't even break them with keyboard access. But Windows? Shut that thing off and kill the internet!

»www.justhitthebutton.com/

FF4m3

@verizon.net
reply to Sentinel
Updated to fix reported problems in v7.0.1451 -

Avast Service Program Update 7.0.1456:

This release includes fixes of problems you reported to us:

* Fixed memory leak in aswMon2 driver
* Fixed problem with random opening of the SafeZone
* Fixed SSL connection issues with SMTP
* Fixed blocking of Internet access
* Fixed missing "Additional protection" tab
* Fixed crashes in Outlook
* Fixed some BSODs

Sorry for any inconvenience with previous version.

thanks,
Pavel

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Boris Karlov
Overkill.

Just hit the pause button on your Motorola Surfboard modem. That disconnects the modem from the computer temporarily and is the equivalent of physically shutting down the computer.

There is no need though to shut down a Windows computer if you have it set up securely. You really think I allow any remote activities, or allow any auto updating (except for my AV)?

Maybe some of what you said applies to Win7 computers but I have XP Pro and I use Process Guard. Nothing can execute on this computer without my express permission after PG blocks it and popups notification asking how I want to handle it. PG won't work on Vista/Win 7 so am I not happy about having to finally leave XP this summer for a new computer with Win 7.
--

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
reply to FF4m3
Thanks for that info.

New update (of course):
1. Re-installs the task in task scheduler.
2. Re-checks check box to join "community".

So these items must be removed again. Probably after every update from now on.

FF4m3

@bhn.net
said by Sentinel:

Thanks for that info.

You're welcome. Let's ope that the newest version functions better.
said by Sentinel:

Probably...

FF4m3

@verizon.net
reply to Sentinel
said by Sentinel:

Thanks for that info.

New update (of course):
1. Re-installs the task in task scheduler.
2. Re-checks check box to join "community".

I internal updated to 7.0.1456 several hours ago with no problems.

After the upgrade reboot a large pop-up window asked if I wanted to opt out of Google Chrome installation & its use as the default browser. I unchecked both options.

My Task Scheduler is disabled, so no issue there.
Participate in the Avast community was re-checked, and promptly unchecked.

I added AvastEmUpdate.exe to CCleaner's Options>Include for removal list.

That's it. Seems to be running fine.

FF4m3

@verizon.net
It appears that CCleaner cannot delete AvastEmUpdate.exe with Avast's "Self-Defense" module (settings>troubleshooting) enabled. The module worked as it's supposed to.

So I disabled the module, manually deleted AvastEmUpdate.exe, then re-enabled the module.
That worked.

Didn't find any registry items needing deletion or change.

The Snowman
Premium
join:2007-05-20
kudos:4
FF4m3..

So whatcha think......could "AvastEmUpdate.exe" simply be re-name "AvastEmUpdate.old"..work ?,,,,,,or perhaps making it "read only"" ?........just throwing in a couple of thoughts.....un-fortunately I can not test them right now......so if anyone trys this let the others know if you would be so kind to do so.

FF4m3

@bhn.net
said by The Snowman:

FF4m3..

So whatcha think......could "AvastEmUpdate.exe" simply be re-name "AvastEmUpdate.old"..work ?

I'd say 'yes'. Might wanna try something like "zzAvastEmUpdate.old" which should cause a faster skip over by the system.