All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

T1 Rocky
join:2002-11-15
Dallas, TX

T1 Rocky to jsm55555

to jsm55555

Re: Rural area south of Dallas -need new ISP!

I'm afraid that a T1 is your best option. You should be getting exactly 1.544 up and 1.544 down (there's no such thing as degradation on T1 lines like you get with dsl / cable etec.) So if your running speed tests and its less than say 1.3 Mbps call covad and raise hell. There's just nothing else out that way and satellite will be a big step down from the T1.

Sorry to hear about skybeam (I was a minority owner in Aircanopy.)
jsm55555
join:2011-07-12
Waxahachie, TX

jsm55555

Yeah, we're getting a consistent 1.44mb up/down with our T1 - the problem is that it goes out every time it rains, sometimes for 4 hrs or so - I think that's because covad doesn't have a gateway in the Waxahachie office, and they're microwaving the connect from DeSoto to Waxahachie. We're actually closer to Midlothian than Waxahachie, but we have a Waxahachie phone number and that's the way AT&T rolls The other problem is the cost - $500/mo for what amounts to slow DSL is just outrageous, but it's the best we can do.

I sure wish the principals in AirCanopy would consider establishing a new service - we LOVED AirCanopy, the connection was fast and reliable, and the support was excellent. All that changed when the Utah company (Skybeam) bought them out and oversubscribed their backbone. There's another wireless company in the area, but they say that we can't "see" their tower. I offered to put up a 50' tower, but they said that they "don't do that" (that is, place their antenna on top of a tower). The only other wireless company has nothing but complaints, so they're not an option.

I just checked BBB last night and Skybeam now has an "F" rating - I was hoping that they might have gotten their act together, because they've launched a big ad campaign here, saying that their service is 'fast and reliable.' Unfortunately, the complaints on BBB's website are fresh (June 2012) so they obviously aren't really working on their problems.

I just hate to renew our T1 contract for another year, if there's something better. But I'm not finding a single option out there other than T1 at about $500/mo. Bummer...