how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jfirstenberg

join:2002-03-25
Solon, OH

Porting from Vonage

I would like to park/port my number to a less expensive service. I kept my (212) number with Vonage a long time but I never use it. I'd like to keep it but pay far less then my current ~$28/month. I've been reading various methods and it looks like my best option is to first port to a cheap prepaid wireless provider then to Google Voice.

I realize Google Voice might not offer the same quality or service but it appears it would allow me to keep my number. If in the future I want to use the number, I could port it elsewhere and perhaps even back to Vonage.

Does the forum have thoughts on how I can lower my monthly / annual costs for a number I never use but want to keep?

Thank you,

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Optimum Online

I ported my number to T-Mobile prepay and then on to Google Voice... Took a total of 4 days and was less painful than I had envisioned... This was +1 year ago so some aspects may be different today...
--
I am addicted to speed --- Boost + speed that is ---

mahermusic

join:2001-07-06
U.S.A.
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to jfirstenberg

The only think I can think of (and I did), was to get Vonage's $9.99 for LIFE plan. Comes to $17-ish with taxes/fees. That would save you roughly $11, and you can still keep Vonage. If you want to go this route, when you call, you need to click through to the "cancellations" dept., as the regular customer service can't offer it to you. Tell them your brother has it, and you want the same plan as well.

This isn't the 3 months @ $9.99 that they're advertising to new members... it's a lifetime plan that includes all nationwide calling plus a few N. American countries... no international.
--
1/20/09 = The final day of our Retarded Cowboy President!

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage

said by mahermusic:

The only think I can think of (and I did), was to get Vonage's $9.99 for LIFE plan. Comes to $17-ish with taxes/fees. That would save you roughly $11, and you can still keep Vonage. If you want to go this route, when you call, you need to click through to the "cancellations" dept., as the regular customer service can't offer it to you. Tell them your brother has it, and you want the same plan as well.

This isn't the 3 months @ $9.99 that they're advertising to new members... it's a lifetime plan that includes all nationwide calling plus a few N. American countries... no international.

I have the same plan and it was no hassle to get it.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Yep,
I jumped on that $9.99 for life plan also.

See this topic:

»Vonage made me an offer (I can't refuse)

Not sure if there might be an issue with that plan and 2 lines, as it sounds like you have?
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1

said by cork1958:

Yep,
I jumped on that $9.99 for life plan also.

See this topic:

»Vonage made me an offer (I can't refuse)

Not sure if there might be an issue with that plan and 2 lines, as it sounds like you have?

I too jumped on the 9.99 offer by simply calling Vonage to have my second line turned off. They turned around and offered me the 9.99 on both lines.

All it takes is a phone number - allot easier to stick with a known quantity at a real good price.
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to jfirstenberg

I'm surprised that someone from the main VoIP Forum »VOIP Tech Chat has not yet popped in with a recommendation or two.

As I see it, the OP has been paying an exorbitant amount to Vonage ("~$28/month") which drops down to around $15/month (with taxes and fees) with their "special forever deal" just to hold onto a barely utilized number.

My comments reflect the OP's specific statement "I never use it." So, I am reporting only on very low cost options.

I suggest porting the Vonage number to a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) provider such as VoIP.ms or CallCentric.

They both offer Pay as You Go (PAYG) plans that, given the OP's minimal usage, would be "cheap". Both providers would charge a one time $25 fee for porting in the number ... but over the course of, let's say, only two years this would amount to $1 extra per month.

Both providers offer awesome feature sets (well beyond Vonage's features); their services are quite stable; their companies have been in business for several years; their support is excellent ... all confirmed by the excellent reviews posted by lots of BBR Members (»/gbu).

Voip.ms charges 99¢ each month with absolutely no additional monthly fees or minimum/maximum usage (and optional E911 at $1.50 extra per month). The user is billed ~1¢ per minute for incoming and outgoing calls.

CallCentric charges $1.95 each month with no additional monthly fees or minimum/maximum usage (and "sort of" optional E911 at $1.50 extra per month and a New York State Sales Tax if the user lives in NY). CC bills calls at 1.5¢ per minute incoming and 1.98¢ per minute outgoing.

Regarding the adapter (ATA), Vonage's adapter is "locked" and, thus, would be problematic for use with any other provider. Two options for an adapter exist:
• One of our long-term BBR members in good standing ... DogFace05 ... can permanently "unlock" the adapter (over the internet) for a small fee.
• If the OP is comfortable in obtaining and setting up an ATA such as a PAP2T-NA (averaging about $50 or so for purchase), both VoIP.ms and CallCentric show simple, step-by-step instructions for setting up a variety of devices.

Personally, I lack confidence in the GoogleVoice "solution" ... since they have little motivation (financially speaking) to keep their service "free" or, for that matter, to keep it running in the future ... and GV offers essentially no support for its service.

In conclusion, my comments are aimed directly at the OP's opening statement wherein he regrets paying lots of bucks just to keep his beloved "212" DID.