All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

icemannyr1 to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff

Re: [TIVO] Here comes the copy protection bit (letter)

Ch. 131 os CCI: 0X02 on VH07.
thorhtpc
join:2012-05-10
Redondo Beach, CA

thorhtpc

That's strange. I will check again tonight.

Can we see a scan of that internal memo. Not that I doubt you personally, but past experience makes me wary.

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy

said by thorhtpc:

That's strange. I will check again tonight.

Can we see a scan of that internal memo. Not that I doubt you personally, but past experience makes me wary.

I Will try and see if the Agent will E-Mail it to me.

joe01880
join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

2 edits

joe01880 to icemannyr1

to icemannyr1
said by icemannyr1:

Ch. 131 os CCI: 0X02 on VH07.

Channel 131 CCI Byte: is 0x00 here in my little corner of VHO6..so far. as is channel 899, HBOHD
I'm just not in a hurry to do this paring thing. Seems to me there should be some type of grandfather clause in effect here. Wishful thinking im sure.

I find the wording of the letter interesting ie, "might be affected" "may affect" .

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Do you really think HBO will allow existing CC customers to be grandfathered as copy freely? This is a network-wide change to all stand-alone CC's - it isn't possible to selectively pick and choose which CC's get changed.

joe01880
Wakefield, MA

joe01880

said by nycdave:

Do you really think HBO will allow existing CC customers to be grandfathered as copy freely? This is a network-wide change to all stand-alone CC's - it isn't possible to selectively pick and choose which CC's get changed.

actually no "wishful thinking" however if there are no new laws in place circumventing previous ones perhaps discussion can be made that grandfathering should be aloud (coming from a multiple TiVo owner so I'm bias but i admit it) if this much time has gone by without the change. Unless of course Vz has been in violation of existing law. Maybe Verizon should eat the billing, their mistake..also understanding that isnt going to happen.
Why has HBO waited this long to require a change in things, new contract time?
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

1 edit

knarf829

I don't think it's a matter of any law involved here. It's a matter of an agreement between the content provider and the content deliverer.

joe01880
Wakefield, MA

joe01880

said by knarf829:

I don't think it's a matter of any law involved here. It's a matter of and agreement between the content provider and the content deliverer.

then i guess the agreement has changed. I find such things interesting. Not once in all my time with FiOS have i copied anything from HBO to my computer and doubt i have sent anything from HBO between TiVo's. The same might not be true of channels that show good concerts. It will really suck if i cant do that anymore. I will still be waiting until last minute to pair my cards, not that i have ever swapped them to anything except what they are in. I guess it would be nice to do so if you want though. I may even wait until after the deadline just to see what happens with the "may's" and "mights" of the language of the letter. I dont record anything of importance this time of year anyway and my 7232 sucks but will do the job if need be.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by joe01880:

I dont record anything of importance this time of year anyway and my 7232 sucks but will do the job if need be.

The FiOS DVRs will have the same copy restrictions as the TiVo. You can still record HBO content on a TiVo. You can still stream it to other TiVos. You just can't copy it.

Unless you have Series3 TiVos (doesn't support streaming) or archive your shows to your computer, this won't even effect you. Even with Series3 TiVos, there are ways to make this a non-issue.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829

said by Thinkdiff:

Even with Series3 TiVos, there are ways to make this a non-issue.

I've got a Series3 TiVo. Link?

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

said by knarf829:

said by Thinkdiff:

Even with Series3 TiVos, there are ways to make this a non-issue.

I've got a Series3 TiVo. Link?

+1

joe01880
Wakefield, MA

joe01880 to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

said by joe01880:

I dont record anything of importance this time of year anyway and my 7232 sucks but will do the job if need be.

The FiOS DVRs will have the same copy restrictions as the TiVo. You can still record HBO content on a TiVo. You can still stream it to other TiVos. You just can't copy it.

Unless you have Series3 TiVos (doesn't support streaming) or archive your shows to your computer, this won't even effect you. Even with Series3 TiVos, there are ways to make this a non-issue.

I have Tivo HD w/lifetime and a Premiere, i am also aware of options to make this a non issue which i am considering for my S3THD. I may just sell it to cover some of the cost of new unit. If this doesn't effect HDNET or Palladia it wont matter to me anyway but I'm sure its going to.