spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

samype11

@fuse.net

Westell 7500 - wireless still on after deactivating

Just got a Westell 7500 from my ISP and turned off the wireless to use my Linksys instead. I was using inSSIDer to test and see which channels are open and it says the westell is still broadcasting wireless even though I deactivated the wireless and the wireless light on the device is off. Also, my laptop can still see the wirelees connection from the westell. Any ideas why this is happening?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

#1 Please check:

a) What channel the Westell is set to use, in the Westell.

b) What channel you are seeing with inSSIDer.

c) What the Wireless MAC Address is, in the Westell.

d) What the Wireless MAC Address you are seeing with inSSIDer.

#2 Please report back:

a) If number one part a and number one part b are the same.

b) Like wise: if number one part c and number one part d are the same.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

samype11

@fuse.net

The Mac addresses and wifi channels do match up.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

said by samype11 :

Any ideas why this is happening?

Unknown to me.

To me it sounds like a back door (or if not, then otherwise a very huge/major security issue).

Points to »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100? where one of the things that the FAQ says is

quote:
These instructions apply to the Westell 2200, 6100, 6100F, 327W, and 7500 models.

If putting the modem combo into bridge modem does not disable wireless that is not ok (very big, serious security flaw).

I would complain like h*ll, even if I did not put the modem combo into bridge mode and my modem combo still has wireless enabled after I tried to disable wireless.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to samype11

said by samype11 :

The Mac addresses and wifi channels do match up.

What firmware is this router using?

For example as addressed in »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100? the White and Blue OR the Red and Black.

If not the White and Blue or the Red and Black firmware, consider showing a screen shot from the router.
--

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to aefstoggaflm

When you place the 7500 into bridge mode you must turn off the wifi before placing it in bridge mode. You can, if desired, afterwards turn the wifi back on. I have two units in bridge mode and the wifi is turned off. The wifi is no longer active.