Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium Member
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA

Daarken

Premium Member

Crazy heat wave

If not I'm calling it one anyway, especially when I am going outside and its 95F with 100% humidity sucks.
I am starting to be glad I did a few home improvements recently.
I know they will not pay off anytime soon.
Replaced the contractor grade vynil siding with a thicker better quality one. During the replacement, the contactor installed 1" weatherbeater foam panels before he put up the vynil.
Installed solar screens on the windows.
Added a screened patio (20x14) on the west side of the garage.

I'm thinking about adding more attic insulation, and if I do, I will also insulate the attic above the garage (its attached and shares the rest of the common attic).
iknow
Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow

Premium Member

you'll be able to get the house cooler with the AC, so it's not a loss.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to Daarken

Premium Member

to Daarken
You do what you can do within your budget.

Living down south like us sometimes its never enough without a tight house.

2500 sq ft 14.5 seer here

$200 last mo. with a pool and robot,
mityfowl

mityfowl to Daarken

Premium Member

to Daarken
Probably $250 this mo.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Daarken

Premium Member

to Daarken
And to think there are at least 4 million people who have just lost power and have no access to A/C...

»www.cnn.com/2012/06/30/u ··· pt=hp_t1

Just brutal!!
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

Zach

Premium Member

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

And to think there are at least 4 million people who have just lost power and have no access to A/C...

»www.cnn.com/2012/06/30/u ··· pt=hp_t1

Just brutal!!

Just read an article on CBC about this. Saw the radar last night but had no idea it was so severe. Just think though; if it went through a few hundred miles north, you could have tested your generator setup!
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by Zach:

Just read an article on CBC about this. Saw the radar last night but had no idea it was so severe. Just think though; if it went through a few hundred miles north, you could have tested your generator setup!

Very true!

But given that my generator is too small to power my central A/C... I'm glad I got to take a pass on this one...
XXXXXXXXXXX1

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Zach

Premium Member

to Zach
Just out of curiosity, could a 6000 watt generator fire up a Goodman 4-ton 13 SEER A/C unit if I shut off everything else and only ran that unit? It services a 2400 square foot area with 3 zones..

Thankfully, I have power and the A/C is keeping things pretty cool in this blistering heat..

But I am interested to know if it could be done... more of a curiosity thing than anything else.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

It MAY be barely able to sustain the running state, but the inrush to start system would be a no go.
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

Zach to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
If know of someone who uses a 5500W gasoline powered 10-year old Generac with a 2-ton 13 SEER Goodman heat pump in warm weather. Needless to say, it works but it's not a healthy setup for either the genny or the A/C. The genny nearly stalls and the compressor grunts. I say, trying a 4-ton with a 6Kw.....fugetaboutit!

A couple of small window shakers would give you a cool place to hangout while you await the POCO.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to mityfowl

to mityfowl
$359.00 last month but mid May I replaced the 1992 single 10.5 seer with 2 3-ton 16 seer outside and inside units and all new duct work so I am expecting a better bill for June. Pool and hot tub present.

With the old unit and paying 15.5 cents per Kwh I had more than one > $700.00 bill in previous summers.

I have been at 9.2 cents per Kwh since 2010.

Dave
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper to Daarken

to Daarken
We were driving home yesterday from Perryville Md, it was surprising to see so many cars on the side of the road with hoods up (I'm assuming for overheating). There were some with flat tires as well.

Part of driving is maintaining your vehicle for the conditions you're expecting....

cowspotter
join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA

cowspotter to Daarken

to Daarken
I live in Northern Virginia and that storm that rolled through here was intense. It lasted about 20-25 minutes and we had winds up to 80mph. There are downed trees and power lines all over the place. Thankfully my area still has power but a lot of my friends have been off since yesterday. It's 95 out right now so I'm expecting some refugees looking for A/C. I wouldn't be surprised if we got hit again tonight.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Zach

to Zach
said by Zach:

A couple of small window shakers would give you a cool place to hangout while you await the POCO.

I'm saving a window shaker from my life in apartment just for that kind of situation.

Heck, my genny cannot even do 240V.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to XXXXXXXXXXX1

MVM

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
You'll probably won't be able to get it started, even with a hard start kit.

What it could probably start is a window unit. If you have the funds available, it's nice to keep one on hand in case the central A/C fails. You can at least sleep comfortably.

We've had consecutive 100+ degree highs for a while now. The other day it was 109, which isn't real common here in MO. Don't get me wrong, our summers are usually very brutal with extremely high humidity.

This heat wave has been pretty nice. RH is down around 20%. It's like So Cal or Arizona heat. Pretty tolerable if you stay hydrated. I was more comfortable at 105 and 25% RH than I would be 90 and 85% RH.
The vegetation is starting to take a beating though. Even my weeds are turning brown. I refuse to water grass.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

said by nunya:

You'll probably won't be able to get it started, even with a hard start kit.

What it could probably start is a window unit. If you have the funds available, it's nice to keep one on hand in case the central A/C fails. You can at least sleep comfortably.

We've had consecutive 100+ degree highs for a while now. The other day it was 109, which isn't real common here in MO. Don't get me wrong, our summers are usually very brutal with extremely high humidity.

This heat wave has been pretty nice. RH is down around 20%. It's like So Cal or Arizona heat. Pretty tolerable if you stay hydrated. I was more comfortable at 105 and 25% RH than I would be 90 and 85% RH.
The vegetation is starting to take a beating though. Even my weeds are turning brown. I refuse to water grass.

Unless its a super drought like last year you still have to cut the weeds

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

It's getting pretty dire. The cracks are getting big. The corn is starting to stunt and yellow. Soybeans are wilting too.

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly to Daarken

Premium Member

to Daarken
Just watered the garden. $100 water bill here we come. The de-superheater is going crazy. My preheat tank is now hotter than my electric waterheater. Heat pump finally shut off when the outside cooled to 98*.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium Member
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA

Daarken

Premium Member

We are getting hit with a cool front.
Tomorrow's high should be about 95F, considering we ususally have high humidity, (currently 94%) its still gonna be 100F.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to Daarken

Premium Member

to Daarken
One thing you can count on is that it's always going to be hot in Texas in the summer.

93 now