rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

2 edits
reply to VikingBob

Re: [Free] Secunia PSI - Personal Software Inspector v3.0

I think I am going to reinstall version 2 on my XP system. The new version seems to install and run nicely on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit systems. I installed it on two of them and it was on them. I will probably install it on one more, but I will not put it on the XP system at that location because that system is a dedicated X-Ray workstation unit and I don't want any version of the PSI on that. I have to be careful about altering any of the critical drivers on that system.

As for my own XP system, the new version starts but it really does hang at the opening splash screen with no disk activity for more than an hour. That is not normal and it is not scanning anything at that point. There must be a conflict of some kind, but nothing shows up in any of the logs and the system is not locked up, either. I can exit the screen and all other software is working. Anyway, I will just reinstall version 2 and forget about it. I know that version was working.

Reinstalled version 2 and no problem with that version. I still don't know why version 3 won't get past the loading page, but that's just the way it is.

One thing I noticed when using Revo Uninstaller to remove Secunia PSI 3.0 was that a notice popped up that grpconv.exe would no longer autostart. However, I think that is an artifact of using Revo Uninstaller. I don't know why installing Secunia PSI 3.0 would also call up grpconv.exe since that is related to Win 3.1 methods of installing application groups. Is Secunia still using those old methods, perhaps for compatibility?
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.