uniqs
share rss forum feed

slomotion
Premium
join:2002-11-10
Chiloquin, OR

Room for improvement?

Click for full size
Well here it is. Prometheus, my new gaming rig.

Case: Cooler Master "HAF 932" Black Steel ATX Full Tower High Airflow Case.

MOBO: "MSI" 890FXA-GD70 Socket AM3, AMD 890FX, SATA-III 6.0Gb/s, USB 3.0, Full ATX.

CPU: “AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition” Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six Core Desktop Processor (3.2GHz X6) (L1 = 128KB X6)(L2 = 512KB X6)(L3 = 6MB)

CPU Cooler: "Corsair" Hydro Series H70 High Performance Dual-Fan Liquid CPU Cooler.

Memory: 16GB (4GBx4) "Crucial Ballistix Tactical” PC-1600 DDR3 (PC3-12800) Dual Channel XMP Gaming Memory.

Video Cards: "Sapphire" (Dual) Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCIe v2.1 x16 HDCP Ready, CrossFireX, 2nd Gen DirectX 11, Plus Eyefinity.

Power Supply: "Corsair" 1000 Watt, ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 CrossFire Ready, Modular PSU.

Hard Drive (Boot): “Crucial M4” 256GB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s, 2.5” Internal SSD.

Hard drive (#2): "Seagate" Barracuda 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200 - RPM, Internal HDD.

Hard Drive (#3): "Western Digital" Caviar 80GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200 - RPM, Internal HDD.

Optical Drive (#1): (Black) "LG" 6X BD-R, 2X BD-RE, 16X DVD+R, 6X BD-ROM, SATA Internal Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Model GGW-H20L with LightScribe.

Optical Drive (#2): (Black) “Plextor” 20X DVD, Qflix Burner, 20X DVD+R, 8X DVD+RW, 8X DVD+R DL, 20X DVD-R, 6X DVD-RW, 16X DVD-ROM, 48X CD-R, 32X CD-RW, 48X CD-ROM, SATA Model PX-806SA.

Monitor “ASUS VE278Q Black 27" 1920x1080 2ms Full 1080p Widescreen LED - LCD, w/HDMI, DVI-D, Display Port and 300 cd/m2 ASCR 10,000,000:1 w/HDCP support.

Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Professional "Fatal1ty" Series Sound Card.

Speakers: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Professional "Fatal1ty" Series Gaming Headset MKII w/ Surround Sound & Removable Microphone Boom.

Mouse: Saitek - R.A.T. 9 - 5600 dpi Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse.

Keyboard: Saitek - Cyborg v7 Programmable Multi Color, Backlit Gaming Keyboard.
Operating System (#1): "Microsoft" Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit.
Operating System (#2): “Microsoft” Windows XP Professional 32-Bit.

Sorry for the long list. I cut & pasted from a word doc.
Anyhow just looking for some feedback as to any improvements
I can make to increase performance. Comments welcome!
--
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

You could have done with a much smaller PSU. Over kill, but w/e. When it gets slow pop in the 4.2 GHz replacement--games perform much better with fewer, faster cores than many, slower ones.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

slomotion
Premium
Chiloquin, OR

Confused? Are suggesting I downgrade to a quad core CPU?
AMD Turbo Boost should under clock any unused cores and apply those resources to the other cores.
--

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
kudos:1

only thing i can think of is going up to a 990fx, and either a single or dual gtx680.

you could keep all your other hardware doing that, and should be able to avoid having to re-activate windows.

slomotion
Premium
Chiloquin, OR

Next year I think I will drop in an AMD 8 core CPU,
and will most likely go with an MSI 990FXA Mother Board.
I am a diehard AMD fan so I will wait and see where the video card
tech is and go from there. I have nothing against nvidia I just like
AMD.
--

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
Canada

as it stands the GHZ edition 7970 is pretty up and down compared to the 680, unless you compare power usage, then it's more up then down.

AMD and ATI should have never merged, would have helped both companies if they focused 100% effort onto one thing instead of trying to integrate stuff.

and i would hold off on the 8 core till we see what the second gen bulldozers look like, as they are now, they are all over the place, and not the most efficient thing in the world.

slomotion
Premium
Chiloquin, OR

I am in full agreement with you about ATI & AMD merger.
Also I read somewhere that the new revisions of the 8 core Bulldozer
are just around the corner. Next year should bring some new hardware that might be worth looking into. Hopefully.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to slomotion

said by slomotion:

Confused? Are suggesting I downgrade to a quad core CPU?
AMD Turbo Boost should under clock any unused cores and apply those resources to the other cores.

It's not downgrading.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to slomotion

said by slomotion:

Wait for Piledriver and pray.

I bought a 1100T as a placeholder and a 990FX board (Crosshair V Formula) waiting for Bulldozer which was a flop.
--
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
Canada

said by Jobbie:

said by slomotion:

Wait for Piledriver and pray.

I bought a 1100T as a placeholder and a 990FX board (Crosshair V Formula) waiting for Bulldozer which was a flop.

i'm putting off a build(mostly because of school) till we get a good AMD cpu.

slomotion
Premium
Chiloquin, OR

All good things to those who wait! I have faith in AMD. Everyone has there ups and downs. Been along time supporter of AMD & ATI, I'll wait and see.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to BonezX

Is there a reason why people aren't getting the Zambezi quadcore? For the price ($130 right now, $140 normally) and the speed (4.2 GHz) it looks like a gamer's wet dream.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19106009
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to slomotion

said by slomotion:

All good things to those who wait! I have faith in AMD. Everyone has there ups and downs. Been along time supporter of AMD & ATI, I'll wait and see.

That is what I am doing right now the 1100T and your case the 1090 have more than enough power to support any current game with decent specs whichs is kinda sad since it is the "previous" generation from AMD.

@BonezX I agree with you that if you are doing ok with what you have waiting is a good choice untill there is new info on AMD or Intel next offer.
--
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

Is there a reason why people aren't getting the Zambezi quadcore?

There is no real gaing over Phenom II and you need to run at least a 890FX chipset, not sure if 100% compatable I think you need a Bios update, or go to the 990FX which was the Zambezi chipset.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Well yeah, assuming your mobo is compatible (I just rebuilt a friend's computer whose 700-series mobo fried, so I directed him to buy a 990FX for his 1055t).

For gaming, there should be no contest between a six-core that sits at 2.8 GHz and can only turbo to 3.3 GHz compared to a four-core that sits at 4.2 GHz and turbos to 4.3 GHz (and likely can be pushed much higher).

And for the price, it's a steal.
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

I agree that going from 1055T to Zambezi looks a lot better than going from 1090T-1100T to Zambezi since both of perform equal or better than BD.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

True. Especially if you have a Black Edition that's OC'd, but to a new buyer, the Zambezi is likely the better buy when all you are concerned about is gaming all things considered (speed, price, availability, etc.).
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

Totally agree there.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Which is why I was confused about the OP purchasing the 1090T for a new build.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

Totally missed the "new" on the OP, I don't see why you would go with a 1090T and a 890FX chipset for a brand new build.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I know he said new, but I am guessing he is reusing parts or buying them used, as main distributors (Newegg, Amazon) don't even sell the 1090T anymore.

slomotion
Premium
Chiloquin, OR

I am truly sorry, I should have mentioned that even though this is a new build, some of my parts were purchased in late 2010/2011.

All of my parts are new, but do to time and budget constraints I was not able to build the system I wanted when I wanted. As any hard working tech will tell you, there is never time enough to work on your own system because you are always working on someone else computer. Sorry for the misleading information in my first post.

Regards
--

slomotion
Premium
Chiloquin, OR

2 edits
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

Well yeah, assuming your mobo is compatible (I just rebuilt a friend's computer whose 700-series mobo fried, so I directed him to buy a 990FX for his 1055t).

For gaming, there should be no contest between a six-core that sits at 2.8 GHz and can only turbo to 3.3 GHz compared to a four-core that sits at 4.2 GHz and turbos to 4.3 GHz (and likely can be pushed much higher).

And for the price, it's a steal.

I think you made a mistake there brother. The 1090T is not a 2.8Ghz
it is a 3.2Ghz. Perhaps you meant the 1055?
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Yeah my bad, the post was ambiguous, I was referring to my friend's 1055t.

slomotion
Premium
Chiloquin, OR

No worries brother. In this business things change by the hour and even the best of us have trouble keeping up with it. What was new this morning will be old this evening.
--

mythology
Premium
join:2002-10-16
Seneca, SC
reply to slomotion

Its not a slow computer by a long shot. Will play any game out for the next couple years.