uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear

Re: New avast update adds "emergency update" task?

Wow! It sure is buggy according to the Avast thread.

What is the point of it if you seldom boot/reboot? It only checks at boot. What is it with all these companies now seemingly obsessed with stuff the checks stuff at boot? I studiously avoid booting. Someone here recently said they hadn't booted for a whole year and finally decided to so as to get Microsoft updates installed. That would be great...to not boot for a whole year! I haven't gone anywhere near that long but on a new computer, I shouldn't need to boot hardly ever (once all programs are installed) so I don't get the point of this new Avast task. i guess it is intended just for laptop users. It wouldn't work for me even if I did boot frequently as I do not login (apparently this task won't work if you boot directly to the desktop with no login) and I routinely disable Task Scheduler on a computer.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

2 recommendations

vaxvms

Premium Member

I don't get it. What is wrong with rebooting? Will the world come to a screeching halt? What harm is caused by rebooting? Please explain.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

Nothing is wrong with rebooting but MOST PEOPLE DISRESPECT THIER COMPUTERS BY LEAVING THEM ON 24/7!! (Wasting resources,etc)
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave

Premium Member

It seems disrespectful to just use the computer whenever you feel the urge, and the roll over and ignore it immediately you're done.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

It doesn't have to do with "respect" for the computer or "going green", etc. Where I live it means either replacing your computer about every two years or being able to use it for 5, 6, 7, etc years. If you buy cheap, throwaway computers (which is what most do here because of the climate) then you want to get a new one about every two years so it works fine to be turning it off frequently so it dies faster. But if you want to buy a higher end computer which you want to work more than two years then you never turn it off or even hibernate it. That prolongs the life in a marine environment in a tropical rainforest with warm weather all year round and no air-conditioning.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave

Premium Member

No point in arguing with me on the subject, I leave all my desktop computers on (but slept - just enough power to keep the RAM alive). I'm just laughing at the dude's notion of 'respect' for the computer.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

goalieskates to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: New avast update adds "emergency update" task?

said by Mele20:

Wow! It sure is buggy according to the Avast thread.

I got the same impression. If I'm reading it right, a "fixed" version will happen next week. So even though Avast has been nagging me mightily, I've been ignoring it for now.

But whether the "fixed" version will allow one to decline this "feature" isn't clear ...