uniqs
share rss forum feed

stillrunnin
So What? You Gotta Problem With That?
Premium
join:2003-12-27
Frederick,MD

friday night storm

anyone get nailed last night? trees down outside here. mine stayed though.

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
kudos:11

pool is filled to overflowing

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to stillrunnin

Goodness gracious! It's a good thing I brought my basil plants in from the balcony...they'd be ruined!

No damage in my immediate vicinity (west side of Dupont Circle). The power stayed on, but the lights did flicker some during the height of the storm. And, the glass in my balcony door was throbbing...far worse than during Irene. We holed-up in the kitchen (which has no windows) until the worst had passed to be safe and avoid flying glass if the balcony or bedroom windows gave way. (My building dates from 1975 with correspondingly old-style glazing.)

The company my other half works for in Rockville is doing the printing for the AT&T National and it's up in the air right now whether they'll be playing today (and if he has to go up there this evening to get the post-round material out).
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6
reply to stillrunnin

Quite the storm. About 70,000 people without power in our general area. The news was reporting that up in NoVA the numbers were about 780,000. Haven't ventured out of the neighborhood yet but there's no real damage here. Just a mess of debris.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to stillrunnin

I'm in Texas, so I've only heard about the damage from my wife. My sister in law's car got totalled by a tree all the way in Ohio. My family is safe (Sterling area)--they lost power briefly last night and still have no internet. I hear the storm was a whopper!
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6
reply to stillrunnin

I think I'm slightly to the south of most of you but it looks like we're about to be pummeled again, strong line of thunderstorms and multiple tornado watches.

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD
reply to stillrunnin

Our power went out at about 11:30pm or so Friday night, but came back on around 2am, so we were lucky. My dad's power was still out this afternoon. I told him he could spend the night here but since I haven't heard from him I guess his power came back on or he went to a hotel for the night. Even worse, though, is that there are areas without water as the pumping station was damaged.

And I am SOOOOOOOO glad we put in those batter backup sump pumps. By god, they worked!

mady
--
Honi soit qui mal y pense

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC

As much as I would love being in the midst of lots of trees and a much quieter neighborhood, I wouldn't trade the relative peace of mind living in a downtown core that something way more disruptive would have to occur to knock out my power or water for more than a few hours. PEPCO really needs to be ripped a huge, new one for squandering all the money they did over the decades they sat on their hands and did nothing to improve infrastructure.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
reply to stillrunnin

Whew, just got power back this morning after having it go out at 10:30 Friday night.

We went to Springfield mall and found an outlet to steal some electricity to charge up one cell phone, Caribou coffee to charge up another this morning.

We were lucky to get ice yesterday and gas this morning.

Fortunately by pulling some real perishable stuff out and putting it in a cooler with ice and putting the remaining 15 lbs of ice in the fridge it spared almost everything.
It was very frustrating last night to see lights on a block away and hear those AC's cranking but not have any here.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC

said by grobinette:

We went to Springfield mall and found an outlet to steal some electricity to charge up one cell phone, Caribou coffee to charge up another this morning.

Two words: Car charger.

Glad you got your juice back and you came through relatively unscathed.
--

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to stillrunnin

Close to noon on Sunday, still no power in Cascades area of Sterling.

Yes, car with multiple outlet inverter = recharging station.

3G on AT&T (iPhones) has sucked.

3G and 4G on Verizon (Razr Maxx) has been great.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
reply to stillrunnin

We lost a significant limb from our Maple tree out front. Maybe 10" at the snap? Lots of other branches (mostly dead) on the ground, lots of crap in the pool. We are very fortunate to still have power. I went out for Pizza last night and near there are places within a mile of us that have no power.

I don't think we got hit with the worst of it, either. Looks like the worse went North and South of us. Thankfully this didn't hit in the head of the day or I think it would have been much much worse.

shezams
My Other Car Is A Zamboni
Premium
join:2001-08-14
Hyattsville, MD

1 recommendation

reply to stillrunnin

At home I am lucky to have power, but the College Park - Hyattsville area got hammered. I had just finished some post hockey socializing at the ice rink in Laurel when it hit - the wind blew so hard it floated the outside doors open - and the lightning was spectacular. I saw the transformer blow that took out the rink's power. Driving home at 10:30 PM or so was bizarre. Road salad everywhere. Early Saturday I was called in for power related issues at work, and while driving in at 6 AM was easy, driving home was awful. Comcast is having post storm issues too - no internet at home right now, but at least I have power.
--
Simple rules - no offsides, no intent to maim, everything else is all good!

maedata

join:2000-10-06
Hilton Head Island, SC
reply to stillrunnin

yep, big time, covad still has 4 major outages this very moment, t-1 still down, original problem resolved (major feeder trunk was down), but stll have problems with dslam at co. covad hasd no reserve backhaul to reprovision too, so it looks like they are doing patchwork around major damage still not fixed. two tickets already with tier 5. (most never get beyond tier 2).

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA

1 edit
reply to DC DSL

said by DC DSL:

said by grobinette:

Two words: Car charger.

Going to the mall was twofold because the few remaining stores and the mall had AC and a place to walk. The car has AC too but there were up to 300 cars in line at the single gas station near here that had both power to run the pumps and gasoline to sell, so that quarter tank reserve was precious until today. Sitting at home on a sweltering day isn't too bad but with no power to run anything it leaves you with limited options if you stay in the house.

After looking around I found quite a few unprotected outlets in shopping centers around that you can plug into and get a charge - if they have power. I should write an app for that.

My biggest gripe is that some of the radio stations that actually have live DJ's have idiots on the air. The ones that were live should have immediately gone into public service mode and started reminding people to treat intersections with no lights as four way stops, advising them about where to get ice or assistance if needed etc. instead of just grossing about the power being out and knocking down 40 trees at Congressional and messing up a golf game.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC

We usually go visit Tim's sis down in Waldorf on Saturdays and tank up at Costco on the way back. Yesterday he was supposed to have had to go up to work in Rockpile around 8PM for a few hours to get the golf tournament's results printed up for the Sunday crowd. That was until the power was out, the generators were wonky making the network and switchboard crap out, and they had to jury-rig power to the platemaker and presses. (The Friday night job came off the presses just a short time before power was lost.) He futzed around up there until like 3PM. Fawgeddabowd getting gas anywhere along 355. Virginia wasn't an option, nor was PG. He wound up just putting in some at the station at the corner before heading back up. Paying the DC price beat dealing with the lines or schlepping around trying to find who was open.
--

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
reply to stillrunnin

BGE still has over a 1/4 million customers without power as of 7pm: »www.bge.com/customerservice/stor···ult.aspx

They're saying it may be deep into this week before everyone is restored. I hope it doesn't take that long with the temps we're having.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to stillrunnin

Stopped by to read the reports.
Brother is in Falls Church. In the dark. And heat.

I just read it's going to last for a while.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA

Falls Church got hit bad according to the news report I saw last night. They said the crews couldn't get in to fix much until after they got the trees cleared. They had a report on Falls Church on a local station last night

»www.wjla.com/articles/2012/06/d-···457.html

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to stillrunnin

Drove in to work early this morning from the Cascades area of Sterling, and every traffic light on Route 7 from Fairfax County Parkway to the Toll Road was out. It looks like they were functioning beyond that point.

When I drive in that early I take the Toll Road to 66 and get off at the East Falls Church metro exit. From there I wend my way over to Patrick Henry Drive, crossing Arlington Blvd., and get back onto 7 to drive to the Skyline office complex just past Bailey's Crossroads. Most of the lights on that route, and all of the ones that really matter, were working.

Somebody told me that the reason for the suckage of AT&T's 3G connectivity was a downed tower.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA

said by SixOfNine:

Somebody told me that the reason for the suckage of AT&T's 3G connectivity was a downed tower.

That might explain why when I tried to tap into a guys 3G network at Caribou yesterday it was so infuriatingly slow.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-24
here
reply to stillrunnin

That was wicked! Our power went out Friday night and didn't come back on until the morning of Day 5. The generator kept us from sweltering but this whole experience was very costly

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by somebodeez:

That was wicked! Our power went out Friday night and didn't come back on until the morning of Day 5. The generator kept us from sweltering but this whole experience was very costly

I live in Loch Haven and had power restored yesterday about 7:30pm, what a relief that was. No more tripping over extension cords and cool air coming out of the registers.

--
July is National Ice Cream Month

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

It took a couple days for me to become accustomed to not automatically reaching for the light switch when entering a room. When we finally got our power restored, I found myself still ignoring the light switches, haha!

Our neighbors were running a generator too except they have have theirs on a switch. When our power got restored, we noticed that they were still running theirs. My husband finally when over to check on them and it turns out they didn't know the electricity was back on.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

I just had my comcast go live, now I have TV & phone. During the outage, I was using ATT cell data for internet, way to slow.

--

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

said by Coma:

I just had my comcast go live, now I have TV & phone. During the outage, I was using ATT cell data for internet, way to slow.

Fios Internet + phone here was working fine once hooked up to the generator. We didn't try TV but once our power was restored, that was working fine too.

This outage was the first one we had a generator to use (also the longest one we've ever experienced). The genny sure was wonderful to have! It was soooo nice to still be able to shower (gas hot water heater), have AC etc. 1 of the top purchases that we have ever made

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

I priced out a 20K generator last year and because of this latest outage, my trigger finger is getting itchy.

--

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Coma:

I priced out a 20K generator last year and because of this latest outage, my trigger finger is getting itchy.

Oh boy, that's big time!

I was wondering about the merits of going from an electric stove to a gas one...

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
kudos:11
reply to stillrunnin

Late addition
A couple pf days ago I noticed streaks running down the family room cathedral ceiling.
Started about 1/2 way down and ran to the fireplace.
Got up on the roof and saw that the old roof antenna's guy lines were the cuplrit. The wind had pulled the hooks up a little raising the shingles on the wind side in two spots and water was probably forced up under by the wind.
Got out the tube of Henry's clear flexible patch and hopefully have solved the problem at miminal expense, except for the streaks down the ceiling
--
Was a Cruise Fanatic, one cruise on Princess cured me. Bleah

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand
reply to somebodeez

said by somebodeez:

said by Coma:

Oh boy, that's big time!

I was wondering about the merits of going from an electric stove to a gas one...

Oops . . . I left out a W as in KW = Kilowatt. which was priced out at $8500. I specced Diesel power because of existing oil infrastructure.

Had I specced LPG, it would add another $1500-$2000 to the bottom line, but as you have pondered, I too would love the convenience of a gas stove so that option is also on the table.

--