Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2
reply to SixOfNine

Re: friday night storm

said by SixOfNine:

Somebody told me that the reason for the suckage of AT&T's 3G connectivity was a downed tower.

That might explain why when I tried to tap into a guys 3G network at Caribou yesterday it was so infuriatingly slow.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-24
here
reply to stillrunnin

That was wicked! Our power went out Friday night and didn't come back on until the morning of Day 5. The generator kept us from sweltering but this whole experience was very costly

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by somebodeez:

That was wicked! Our power went out Friday night and didn't come back on until the morning of Day 5. The generator kept us from sweltering but this whole experience was very costly

I live in Loch Haven and had power restored yesterday about 7:30pm, what a relief that was. No more tripping over extension cords and cool air coming out of the registers.

--
July is National Ice Cream Month

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

It took a couple days for me to become accustomed to not automatically reaching for the light switch when entering a room. When we finally got our power restored, I found myself still ignoring the light switches, haha!

Our neighbors were running a generator too except they have have theirs on a switch. When our power got restored, we noticed that they were still running theirs. My husband finally when over to check on them and it turns out they didn't know the electricity was back on.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

I just had my comcast go live, now I have TV & phone. During the outage, I was using ATT cell data for internet, way to slow.

--

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

said by Coma:

I just had my comcast go live, now I have TV & phone. During the outage, I was using ATT cell data for internet, way to slow.

Fios Internet + phone here was working fine once hooked up to the generator. We didn't try TV but once our power was restored, that was working fine too.

This outage was the first one we had a generator to use (also the longest one we've ever experienced). The genny sure was wonderful to have! It was soooo nice to still be able to shower (gas hot water heater), have AC etc. 1 of the top purchases that we have ever made

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

I priced out a 20K generator last year and because of this latest outage, my trigger finger is getting itchy.

--

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Coma:

I priced out a 20K generator last year and because of this latest outage, my trigger finger is getting itchy.

Oh boy, that's big time!

I was wondering about the merits of going from an electric stove to a gas one...

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
kudos:11
reply to stillrunnin

Late addition
A couple pf days ago I noticed streaks running down the family room cathedral ceiling.
Started about 1/2 way down and ran to the fireplace.
Got up on the roof and saw that the old roof antenna's guy lines were the cuplrit. The wind had pulled the hooks up a little raising the shingles on the wind side in two spots and water was probably forced up under by the wind.
Got out the tube of Henry's clear flexible patch and hopefully have solved the problem at miminal expense, except for the streaks down the ceiling
--
Was a Cruise Fanatic, one cruise on Princess cured me. Bleah

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand
reply to somebodeez

said by somebodeez:

said by Coma:

Oh boy, that's big time!

I was wondering about the merits of going from an electric stove to a gas one...

Oops . . . I left out a W as in KW = Kilowatt. which was priced out at $8500. I specced Diesel power because of existing oil infrastructure.

Had I specced LPG, it would add another $1500-$2000 to the bottom line, but as you have pondered, I too would love the convenience of a gas stove so that option is also on the table.

--

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA

I don't know, that just seems kind of pricey.

$8,500 for a generator plus the required maintenance verses the cost of a hotel and in a worse case scenario the replacement cost of your food for an occasional extended power outage.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

said by grobinette:

$8,500 for a generator plus the required maintenance verses the cost of a hotel and in a worse case scenario the replacement cost of your food for an occasional extended power outage.

I have several large birds which would not be easy to move especially during a snow storm in the winter or hurricane in the fall.

In the past, I have toyed with the idea of upgrading my stove/oven from electric to gas for the convenience. That would provide an alternate fuel source to the fuel oil I currently use for heating. An LPG powered generator would be cheaper to run than a diesel equivalent and most likely quieter.

I also own the houses on both sides of me in a very nice older water front community. With a large enough generator, I could supply all the houses with basic electrical needs. That would also have the added benefit of reducing the amount of sound pollution by eliminating 2 of the 3 generators required.

An additional benefit would be the elimination of the hassle factor of humpin fuel.

--

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

3 edits
reply to grobinette

said by grobinette:

Good luck trying to get a room (double good luck if you need a pet friendly hotel like I would have needed) around here during such a wide spread power outage like this one

And lemme tellya, my genny was powering more than just our fridge. With temps over 100 degrees out there, it literally saved us from heat stroke! (both of us are heat sensitive).

Ours is just a portable 5600 watt though and all it needed was gas and an oil change. I don't know what kind of maintenance a big one would need.

Edit: Everyone is on well water here. When the power is out - no water. I was also able to supply someone else w/water. (she's in the same neighborhood but too far away to have been able to toss her a line)

Edit: Our hot water heater is gas. I wonder how much it would be to get a gas stove hooked into that supply line...

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA
reply to stillrunnin

No offense intended. Everyone has different circumstances.

If we had either pets that we could not smuggle into a hotel or medical conditions or whatever I would be thinking along different terms.

Let's hope that today's heat doesn't blow the system. It was stinkin' hot 6:30 AM when we went to the farmers market

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here

Oh gosh yes this heat is *awful*!

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6
reply to grobinette

said by grobinette:

It was stinkin' hot 6:30 AM when we went to the farmers market

It's gonna be another scorcher here..

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
reply to grobinette

said by grobinette:

You also need to look at it in terms of how often there are prolonged outages over a set period of time, say 5-10 years; not just a single instance. Figuring a hotel plus meals and incidentals for a week can easily cost $2K in the DC-Baltimore corridor. Since there seems to be an average of 1 major outage (not necessarily widespread) per year in the outlying areas, if someone lives where that's the case, a generator has probably paid for itself in about 5 years.

In cases where there is someone who has special needs such as medical equipment or motorized chairs, even shorter outages could have potentially serious consequences. So, for anyone in that category, it definitely makes sense to shoulder the expense.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA

I was more or less figuring it that way. We had a few days outage with Isabel and then the derecho. Other than that just minor outages in the 24 years we have been here.

If I was in Pepco territory I would have a different story. Dominion takes pretty good care of FFX county. Our power lines are already underground and they upgraded all the transformers in our neighborhood in the last five years.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

1 recommendation

reply to state

said by state:

It's gonna be another scorcher here..

You should be used to it since your current Location is Purgatory.

said by DC DSL:

You also need to look at it in terms of how often there are prolonged outages over a set period of time, say 5-10 years; not just a single instance. Figuring a hotel plus meals and incidentals for a week can easily cost $2K in the DC-Baltimore corridor. Since there seems to be an average of 1 major outage (not necessarily widespread) per year in the outlying areas, if someone lives where that's the case, a generator has probably paid for itself in about 5 years.

In cases where there is someone who has special needs such as medical equipment or motorized chairs, even shorter outages could have potentially serious consequences. So, for anyone in that category, it definitely makes sense to shoulder the expense.

I was at my shrink yesterday and we discussed the generator as a possible business expense if I power the 2 adjacent properties. Definitely going to look into the possibility.

--

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to grobinette

said by grobinette:

I was more or less figuring it that way. We had a few days outage with Isabel and then the derecho. Other than that just minor outages in the 24 years we have been here.

In our 17 years in this house, we had an outage of several hours from Isabel (most of those overnight) and 50 hours from the derecho. Besides that, only minor stuff not worth remembering. No pets or special medical needs, either.

There have been some well thought out reasons stated in this thread for investing in backup power, but our circumstances haven't fit yet.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC

Not wanting to be out and the money not being an issue is good enough reason. Fortunately, I have had only one power failure here in 20 years from a blown transformer during a snow storm 10 years ago...it was fixed in under 3 hours.

If I had a house I likely would have a generator because I work from home and can't afford to be without power for very long. Then again, that wouldn't make much difference other than comfort and being able to at least do offline work if my phone and Internet were also out.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

shezams
My Other Car Is A Zamboni
Premium
join:2001-08-14
Hyattsville, MD
reply to stillrunnin

Heat

105 at Reagan, 103 at BWI and 101 at Dulles were all daily records, and the 105 at Reagan makes top 5 all time high temp. It is supposed to ease. High 80s and low 90s will seem cool. I had to go up on a roof at work Friday and even in the morning it was hot. I hope today's potential for storms doesn't cause trouble.
--
Simple rules - no offsides, no intent to maim, everything else is all good!

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to DC DSL

Re: friday night storm

Working from home is another excellent reason to invest in backup power.

If the frequency of outages changes due to global warming, global cooling, Mayan calendar, whatever, I'll probably shell out, too.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to stillrunnin

Thank God for the storms last night! Only 75 now and projected to hit 85 today.

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD
reply to stillrunnin

yeah, was loving that pouring rain last night, with no high-winds! Ah, a break...

Our power went out pretty quickly - lots of trees around here. We were out for two days.

Ever since some storm a few years ago, have a generator - 1000kw, I think, some generic 'Homesafe' brand or something. It's loud. I don't care - with pretty much everyone in the 'hood having a generator, it's pretty noisy outside when power goes out!

Which does happen at least once a year, at least for a couple hours, and it seems at least one 24hr+ event per year too. If nothing else, the generator is worth it to save our fridge! With a family of 5, when the fridge has to be emptied, that's easily a few hundred in the trash. I think our gennie paid for itself the first 3-day outage we had a couple years ago!

Biggest issue - we're on a well too, but our well pump is hardwired, so I can't connect it to the generator....so while we're mostly good, not being able to flush sucks the most (otherwise, a case of water generally carries us). SO each time I think, I gotta split that hardline and make it a plug...but I think it's 220v, and not sure my gennie can handle that...then I forget to check into it.

No hot water kinda sucks but no biggie. Fridge, FIOS, TV, laptop, a floor fan, and a couple lights hooked up to the generator and we're pretty good to go...
--
Don't Lie - Be Kind - Realize your Potential

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3
reply to SixOfNine

said by SixOfNine:

In our 17 years in this house, we had an outage of several hours from Isabel (most of those overnight) and 50 hours from the derecho.

Isabel. Santa Ana winds. Derecho.

We blame hispanics for all of our weather woes?

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
kudos:11

quote:
Derecho comes from the Spanish word for "straight" (cf. "direct") in contrast with a tornado which is a "twisted" wind. The word was first used in the American Meteorological Journal in 1888 by Gustavus Detlef Hinrichs in a paper describing the phenomenon and based on a significant derecho event that crossed Iowa on 31 July 1877
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho

Looks like it took a German to give it a Spanish name
--
Was a Cruise Fanatic, one cruise on Princess cured me. Bleah

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

I'd never heard of this term before this storm. Interesting.