Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine

Re: friday night storm

Not wanting to be out and the money not being an issue is good enough reason. Fortunately, I have had only one power failure here in 20 years from a blown transformer during a snow storm 10 years ago...it was fixed in under 3 hours.

If I had a house I likely would have a generator because I work from home and can't afford to be without power for very long. Then again, that wouldn't make much difference other than comfort and being able to at least do offline work if my phone and Internet were also out.
shezams
My Other Car Is A Zamboni
Premium Member
join:2001-08-14
Hyattsville, MD

shezams to stillrunnin

Premium Member

to stillrunnin

Heat

105 at Reagan, 103 at BWI and 101 at Dulles were all daily records, and the 105 at Reagan makes top 5 all time high temp. It is supposed to ease. High 80s and low 90s will seem cool. I had to go up on a roof at work Friday and even in the morning it was hot. I hope today's potential for storms doesn't cause trouble.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to DC DSL

Premium Member

to DC DSL

Re: friday night storm

Working from home is another excellent reason to invest in backup power.

If the frequency of outages changes due to global warming, global cooling, Mayan calendar, whatever, I'll probably shell out, too.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to stillrunnin

Premium Member

to stillrunnin
Thank God for the storms last night! Only 75 now and projected to hit 85 today.

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium Member
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD

KoolMoe to stillrunnin

Premium Member

to stillrunnin
yeah, was loving that pouring rain last night, with no high-winds! Ah, a break...

Our power went out pretty quickly - lots of trees around here. We were out for two days.

Ever since some storm a few years ago, have a generator - 1000kw, I think, some generic 'Homesafe' brand or something. It's loud. I don't care - with pretty much everyone in the 'hood having a generator, it's pretty noisy outside when power goes out!

Which does happen at least once a year, at least for a couple hours, and it seems at least one 24hr+ event per year too. If nothing else, the generator is worth it to save our fridge! With a family of 5, when the fridge has to be emptied, that's easily a few hundred in the trash. I think our gennie paid for itself the first 3-day outage we had a couple years ago!

Biggest issue - we're on a well too, but our well pump is hardwired, so I can't connect it to the generator....so while we're mostly good, not being able to flush sucks the most (otherwise, a case of water generally carries us). SO each time I think, I gotta split that hardline and make it a plug...but I think it's 220v, and not sure my gennie can handle that...then I forget to check into it.

No hot water kinda sucks but no biggie. Fridge, FIOS, TV, laptop, a floor fan, and a couple lights hooked up to the generator and we're pretty good to go...

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57 to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine
said by SixOfNine:

In our 17 years in this house, we had an outage of several hours from Isabel (most of those overnight) and 50 hours from the derecho.

Isabel. Santa Ana winds. Derecho.

We blame hispanics for all of our weather woes?

Rxdoxx

join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD

Rxdoxx

quote:
Derecho comes from the Spanish word for "straight" (cf. "direct") in contrast with a tornado which is a "twisted" wind. The word was first used in the American Meteorological Journal in 1888 by Gustavus Detlef Hinrichs in a paper describing the phenomenon and based on a significant derecho event that crossed Iowa on 31 July 1877
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho

Looks like it took a German to give it a Spanish name

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

seaquake

MVM

I'd never heard of this term before this storm. Interesting.