how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pleco

join:2012-06-30

1 edit

[Cable] Teksavvy Cable Constant Modem Restart [SB6120]

I have been using Teksavvy Extreme Cable for over a year now and I have rarely had any problems. However, over the past 2 weeks I have been experiencing constant disconnects daily that last between 30 seconds to several minutes due to my modem restarting by itself. Power cycling the modem will only temporary fix this issue for a few hours and if I'm lucky the fix will last until morning the next day and then the disconnects come back. I'm getting really annoyed by these disconnects , I use a VOIP phone service and I am missing important calls and the kids are complaining that they keep getting disconnected from their online games. I have tried removing the router and using only the modem but it made no difference.

I have read some other posts on the same issue so I know this isn't an isolated case. Most posts blame the DCM models with older firmware but I have the Motorola SB6120 - 1.0.6.1 (purchased from Teksavvy) so I don't know why I'm having the same issues.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

What do your log file say?
and signal levels?

pleco

join:2012-06-30

1 edit

Click for full size
Signal
My logs report a lot T3 time-outs.

Jun 30 2012 15:36:07 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Jun 30 2012 15:26:15 5-Warning Z00.0 MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1
Jan 01 1970 00:00:13 6-Notice Cable Modem Reboot due to power reset
Jun 30 2012 12:17:19 3-Critical R07.0 Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC
Jun 30 2012 12:13:12 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Jun 30 2012 05:57:53 3-Critical R07.0 Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC
Jun 30 2012 01:59:39 5-Warning Z00.0 MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1
Jun 30 2012 00:56:04 3-Critical R07.0 Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC
Jun 29 2012 23:04:57 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Jun 29 2012 17:09:03 5-Warning Z00.0 MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1
Jan 01 1970 00:00:13 6-Notice Cable Modem Reboot due to T4 timeout
Jun 29 2012 17:08:20 3-Critical R06.0 Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted
Jun 29 2012 17:08:19 3-Critical R03.0 Ranging Request Retries exhausted
Jun 29 2012 17:08:19 3-Critical R06.0 Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted
Jun 29 2012 17:08:19 3-Critical R03.0 Ranging Request Retries exhausted
Jun 29 2012 17:08:18 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Jun 29 2012 17:08:10 3-Critical R06.0 Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted

Anon user

@teksavvy.com

I have the same issue but on a sb6121. I have been watching the many other threads on this problem as well. From previous experience Teksavvy support is useless. If you can't live with it, move on to someone else. Expect someone to ask you to post in the direct forum, followed by the run around of blaming your equipment or Rogers, while not capable of fixing your issues.

ijaaz

join:2009-08-07
l6b0m2
reply to pleco

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but was your issue ever resolved? I've been having the same problems as you, with the same hardware:

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.1-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Serial Number: 317001100601317707040001
Firmware Build Time: May 12 2011 15:15:14

Calls to tech support have been uneventful, as they ignore the actual log messages and ask me to ping things..

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to Anon user

Why don't you sign in so we can see who you are there bud.

ragingwolf

join:2003-04-22
Nepean, ON
reply to pleco

said by pleco:

Getting these constantly might indicate a bad modem or power supply. Also, is the modem plugged into a known good UPS? Try plugging it into the battery side of a UPS, replace the PSU and if all else fails, replace the modem.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

said by ragingwolf:

said by pleco:

Getting these constantly might indicate a bad modem or power supply. Also, is the modem plugged into a known good UPS? Try plugging it into the battery side of a UPS, replace the PSU and if all else fails, replace the modem.

I'd second that. Given that it's running a firmware that isn't known to be bad, the second most likely cause for device to start rebooting is a bad power supply, power source, or hardware failure (bad caps often show with this symptom).

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com

The failure rate is extremely low for the Motorola line of modems.

Pko200

@teksavvy.com

I agree the failure rate on Motorola modems is low. Modems are getting swapped or replaced when there is nothing wrong with them at all. My Motorola had not rebooted at all for a year when there was 4 downstream bonded channels and 1 unbonded upstream channel. When Rogers bonded 2 upstream channels that is when the problems occurred. My modem now reboots every 18 hours like clockwork. When Rogers was working on their system about a month ago, they deactivated upstream channel bonding and my issues disappeared. This is obviously an upstream channel bonding issue with Rogers as my line stats are well within the recommended range.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

Unless there's a bug in the firmware that shouldn't happen. The Moto should be perfectly able bond to up to 2 channels. Plus in this case I doubt Rogers is the cause as a various models of modems are now bonding up to 4 upstream channels on their network now.

tonytoronto

join:2007-10-31
Toronto, ON
reply to Pko200

said by Pko200 :

I agree the failure rate on Motorola modems is low. Modems are getting swapped or replaced when there is nothing wrong with them at all. My Motorola had not rebooted at all for a year when there was 4 downstream bonded channels and 1 unbonded upstream channel. When Rogers bonded 2 upstream channels that is when the problems occurred. My modem now reboots every 18 hours like clockwork. When Rogers was working on their system about a month ago, they deactivated upstream channel bonding and my issues disappeared. This is obviously an upstream channel bonding issue with Rogers as my line stats are well within the recommended range.

yup, that's when the same problems started for me too, after channel bonding upstream. I have had rogers techs over 2 times and all they say signals are good. Teksavvy hasn't been exactly helpful, almost seems like some techs just wasting time hoping problem will go away, almost seems like they scared of filling tickets with Rogers.
My signal levels are usually ok, but 2 of the upstream channels will go nuts and set this on log--Jul 20 2012 17:46:16 3-Critical R07.0 Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=xxxxxxxxxxx
once that happens the modem goes into limbo mode and loose internet, even when 2 channels seem fine. rebooting the modem will usually bring internet back, but not always right away. another ticket open, been weeks to try get another tech to came by.. frustrated as hell, voip phone doen't work, wife on my case, trying really hard to justify staying with teksavvy but im at my last straw..

tonytoronto

Toronto, ON
reply to ijaaz

said by ijaaz:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but was your issue ever resolved? I've been having the same problems as you, with the same hardware:

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.1-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Serial Number: 317001100601317707040001
Firmware Build Time: May 12 2011 15:15:14

Calls to tech support have been uneventful, as they ignore the actual log messages and ask me to ping things..

yup, frustrating as hell. They have a few good techs, but i seem to always get the ones who have no clue what internet is!

kd

@teksavvy.com
reply to ijaaz

Where are you located? I have been having the same issue in the Yonge & Eglinton area. It's very random, the modem looses synch for a couple of seconds, usually not less then a minute then reconnects. Using the same SB6120.

Innov8
Premium
join:2011-07-19

3 edits
reply to tonytoronto

Folks exactly the same bad nagging performance experience and associated mis-handling of fundamental issues. Search for "Teddy Boom" here and he is near U of T also posts here. Very wonderful gentleman. Well educated and helpful. If you are physically close to be able to see him you will be pleasantly surprised to see him. He may be able to give you ideas and check things out with hardware/modem/etc.

The issue generally is Carriers trying to be too cute and throwing out implementations of dubious value (4 channel upstream bonding for 1 Mb/s service). As described in this thread finicky plant. Even when one channel has minor transient issues all the Upstream goes in limbo and dies bringing down the Downstream 4 bonded channels with it. A reboot follows till one of the Upstream bonded channels again goes into the "Aborted" or "continue" mode and all four channels in upstream bonding go down one at a time like house of cards again. Story repeats based on what you had for breakfast or how much you curse the duopoly.

Good luck.

PS: I found the following to be very probelamatic for these modems,

"Cable Modem Reboot due to T4 timeout" which invariably leads to freezes and reboots. Appears in part to do with bad software on 6120/6121 modems. Not sure fire but a key culprit.

tonytoronto

Toronto, ON

said by Innov8:

Folks exactly the same bad nagging performance experience and associated mis-handling of fundamental issues. Search for "charles lidstone" on Google and he is near U of T also posts here. Very wonderful gentleman. Well educated and helpful. If you are physically close to be able to see him you will be pleasantly surprised to see him. He may be able to give you ideas and check things out with hardware/modem/etc.

The issue generally is Carriers trying to be too cute and throwing out implementations of dubious value (4 channel upstream bonding for 1 Mb/s service). As described in this thread finicky plant. Even when one channel has minor transient issues all the Upstream goes in limbo and dies bringing down the Downstream 4 bonded channels with it. A reboot follows till one of the Upstream bonded channels again goes into the "Aborted" or "continue" mode and all four channels in upstream bonding go down one at a time like house of cards again. Story repeats based on what you had for breakfast or how much you curse the duopoly.

Good luck.

Thank you! Your explanation exactly what happens to me, once one or 2 channels abort, the modem doesn't know what to do! According to a Teksavvy Tech on direct forums that's perfectly fine, no trouble at all! been well over a month, maybe two of trying to get this escalated, they simply refusing to, i just don't get it. the regular BS about we e-mailed rogers and rogers says modem fine and online getting old. Hopefully 8th time the charm and something will get done this time.

EGM92

join:2006-01-29

I have this exact problem, it's been happening since Friday, I constantly timeout/ping out of IRC channels/games. It'll fix itself if I power cycle the modem but it's only a temp fix. The modem itself (SB6120) will sometimes cycle all by itself. I contacted TS about it and was told they couldn't find anything on their side but would have to send out a tech. After 15hrs of constant usage and no dropped connection or reboots I called in to cancel the technician and almost 20 minutes later the connection dropping occured again

Is this something that'll go away on its own or something a tech actually have to come by and fix?

Kevin Broten

@teksavvy.com
reply to pleco

My SB612x keeps doing that to. something changed about 1-2 weeks ago. and now I can't hold a connection on cable. my voip is useless, and I can't keep a VPN open.

I get T3 and T4 error repeatedly, and get Docsis fallback to docsis 2.0 mode. with only one channel bonding. and then bonding restores again. then lost, then restores over and over.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

T3 and T4 time outs are signal power related between the CMTS and your CM. In other words the CMTS sends a ranging response request to your CM and when the CM responds back the signal is too low or faint for the CMTS to 'hear' so it will continue to retry its range response requests until it is successfull. If after a certain ammount of retries the CMTS will do a remote reset of the CM to clear the slate and try its ranging request responses again until it can succeed before it is able to move onto the next step in its programmed routine which might be a system audit, a firmware push, setting channel bonding... and so on.

* The problem could be your modem is defective?
* The problem could be the signal between your modem and the CMTS could be too weak somewheres along the route.
* The problem could be the CMTS at the POI is misconfigured or a setting on their end could be too high or too low.

Fat lot of good thats going to do if its the CMTS thats the problem, they'll likely deny blaming node congestion or whatever else like signal degradation along the path to your CM. I imagine to pinpoint a problem at the CMTS would require a lot of opened tickets in your specific area to even get them to look into it. Otherwise your line or your CM is to blame from their viewpoint.
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
Twitter:Merv Chat:irc.teksavvy.ca

Doeboye

join:2006-11-07
Canada
reply to pleco

Just a quick "Me Too"!

I haven't gone as far as checking logs, posting in direct forum etc, but symptoms are identical, and problems began when upstream bonding arrived.

I assumed it had to do with enabling upstream bonding and it would sort itself out after a few days... No such luck so far ...

Usually a modem reboot fixes it for awhile... But still irritating. What are our options? Will this need a service call, or a software update from Rogers?

Thanks!
DB

tonytoronto

Toronto, ON

said by Doeboye:

Just a quick "Me Too"!

I haven't gone as far as checking logs, posting in direct forum etc, but symptoms are identical, and problems began when upstream bonding arrived.

I assumed it had to do with enabling upstream bonding and it would sort itself out after a few days... No such luck so far ...

Usually a modem reboot fixes it for awhile... But still irritating. What are our options? Will this need a service call, or a software update from Rogers?

Thanks!
DB

Please get in touch with Teksavvy and maybe you can get ticket open. The more techs Rogers has to send the better chances of getting something fixed.

EGM92

reply to pleco

Just an update:

I noticed that 2 days in row, I've been getting constant connect drops/ modem power cycling at 4:30pm onward. It seems to have stopped for now but it's still going to happen later tonight.

KingNectar

join:2012-07-25
Cambridge, ON
reply to pleco

I, too, have an SB6120 and have been experiencing periodic "drops" in my connectivity starting the evening of 07/15. I'm fairly precise in the timing of this because I was online earlier in the day without issue but noted my overnight backup routine failed and it runs at 2am.

Curiously, I both the Send and Receive lights on my modem are now blue, which according to the manuals I found online is indicative of channel bonding. However, I'm 99.996% sure that this wasn't the case before (but of course, it's not the kind of thing I was paying attention to previously).

Called TS support and checked the stats on the modem and everything seemed to be running within "normal" parameters. But, here we are 10 days later and my connectivity is still spotty as hell - will be fine for 30 - 40 seconds and then just be completely unresponsive for 5 - 15 seconds and that cycle repeats all day long.

So far as I know the modem itself isn't rebooting at all, but per previous posts in this thread, I'm thinking this is somehow related to channel bonding.

EGM92

Click for full size
I too get the unresponsive connection, the modem isn't resetting but there's no activity. The internet is down for 30-40s then it'll come back. I took a screenshot of my modem signal screen right after it came back online. Maybe this can help?

Innov8
Premium

Folks I am a customer that has experienced the same stuff as many of you over the last few weeks. There is nothing you people or most of us have done to cause it. Neither has Teksavvy done anything from my knowledge. The solution and issues are with the underlying carrier.

My experience and conclusion is that specially for Motorola Modems that unless you have the right Software level, you will be pushing on a string. Lot of the time will be wasted on Logs, blinking lights, levels, splitters and other stuff to no avail.

It appears without a question that the issue is tied squarely with upstream bonding. For Motorola Modems based on the CMTS hosting you, the loading factor of the CMTS, in your area of service, it may be less or more severe. For 6120/6121 Motorolas there is no escaping being at 1.0.6.1.

»teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

After days and if not weeks of frustration and horsing around you will be told the cause as an unsupported modem or Modem Software that suddenly the carrier has discovered you have. Help yourself and search the forums and get the right modems on Craiglist and look for help. You will probably have better luck that way.

I went from Aborted, Continue, etc., states repeating many times an hour sometimes to pretty steady state with such an approach.

It is disgusting and abhorrent to say the least. Given the current Carrier not upgrading Software on Teksavvy or other TPIA customer clients, all modems will suffer such fate and be orphaned over time. I do not see how Teksavvy and others will be able to provide reliable service over many years and software changes required on modems unless they sort this aspect with the carriers in their Wholesale arrangements. Sooner or later all Teksavvy and like modems would be unable to answer, "Who is your daddy?"

Just my 2 cents and not to offend anyone and in case it helps.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to EGM92

said by EGM92:

I too get the unresponsive connection, the modem isn't resetting but there's no activity. The internet is down for 30-40s then it'll come back. I took a screenshot of my modem signal screen right after it came back online. Maybe this can help?

Upstream power level issue....its a signal related problem, modem keeps resyncing over and over and over again...if you haven't made any physical changes in your house in regards to moving the modem to another outlet or putting in a splitter, call them up, you need Rogers to come out to see whats going on...

Bonding may have just been coincidental....its increasing your time to get online because your modem is trying to get 2 channels, but only ends up with 1 just barely @ 52dbmv as you can see there...that seems to be near(er) the upper range for modems to be knocked offline now with 64QAM upstream modulation...you could get away with more power with 16QAM and QPSK (55dbmv usually)...but definitely the only way to permanently fix it is to get a tech out there to see "whats going on".

HTH

tonytoronto

Toronto, ON

Click for full size
i posted screenshot from my modem, similar issue, 2 of the channels (4-7) go down and so does the modem. According to a Teksavvy Tech those are normal values!

Innov8
Premium

tonytoronto get in touch with "Teddy Boom" here at DSLReports. Specially if you are in Toronto. Great help.

It is discouraging to see people keep talking about getting a Tech out and all other stuff. If you did not touch anything then the issue is carrier and modem software mis-match. Teddy Boom can help and so can Teksavvy if you got your modem from them. So I think!

Read the following thread too,

»Modem Reset Everyday in Brampton + Slow Download Speeds

Cheers.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

said by Innov8:

tonytoronto get in touch with "Teddy Boom" here at DSLReports. Specially if you are in Toronto. Great help.

Thanks Innov8!

I can upgrade SB6121s to 1.0.6.1. That did seem to help Innov8, but to be honest I'm a bit surprised. Until Innov8, I thought the 1.0.5.1 firmware (on most SB6121s) was fine. If you have a SB6120 then Rogers has already upgraded you to 1.0.6.1.

There are certainly other causes of this issue, but getting the right firmware is a good first step...
(for those with a DCM475, I'm working on the problem. First I need a source modem to rip a copy of STAC.02.16 from...)
--
electronicsguru.ca/for_sale/Cablemodems

tonytoronto

Toronto, ON

Yup, i'm already on 1.0.6.0.1, there is a newer firmware version that Comcast pushing out (»SB6120 Firmware Updated (7/19/12)) and seems to help some of they customers with the exact upstream bonding crap, Chances are Rogers will never update any of the motorola modems.
Have another tech coming tomorrow, like the 2 before him will check the tap and tell me signal fine and will again change the cable terminal at the modem and that's it, nothing will once again get done. Weird part all of this, internet been crap for well over month and all of sudden been good for 2 days, nothing on the logs at all, go figure.