how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

QQCable

join:2012-08-03
reply to pleco

Re: [Cable] Teksavvy Cable Constant Modem Restart [SB6120]

So after a few more days of it doing the same old thing lately once it does it for the last time I am getting a new error message

Aug 09 2012 03:34:09 6-Notice D106.0 DHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-bac103000106e4839959b295 modified;
Aug 09 2012 03:34:09 4-Error D103.0 DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;

again Signal/Power are consistent with an ok rating, and it doesn't change.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by QQCable:

So after a few more days of it doing the same old thing lately once it does it for the last time I am getting a new error message

Aug 09 2012 03:34:09 6-Notice D106.0 DHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-bac103000106e4839959b295 modified;
Aug 09 2012 03:34:09 4-Error D103.0 DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;

Those are normal and not an indication of any problems. This message appears once per day at the same time.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

tonytoronto

join:2007-10-31
Toronto, ON
reply to QQCable

said by QQCable:

the modified message i believe it means Rogers has sent instructions to modem, if what i read is correct. I also seen that message after i had ticket open with Rogers.

Yesterday i had another tech come by, happened to be the same one as time before. You know you in for something good when he asks "which one is the Modem??" after 1 hour of being told the signal is good, i asked him if he looked at the tap outside, he didn't-- how the fk does one check for signal without starting at the source? Turns out some other rogers monkey put our connection on a 2 way splitter, not straight to tap. He fixed that and than he tells me now the signal is good!! WTF, it was good before! must be super gooder now! anyhow, hasn't reset in almost 24 hours, keeping fingers crossed, next glitch and i'm off to DSL.
BTW, i think we beat a new waiting time record, way over 1 hour and ended up not talking to anyone, wife got tired of waiting. Wife was super pissed and wants out, i can't even mention teksavvy at home anymore.

Doeboye

join:2006-11-07
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

reply to pleco

So I was suffering from the same 6120 dropping upstream channels/losing connection etc etc. and had Rogers come out to check things out. The tech changed the splitter in the rogers box outside my house and reduced my upstream power levels from 52+ to 47-49.

Since the visit, I have not had any nasty log messages or reboots... Perhaps others may be suffering from borderline too high upstream power levels that were tolerable with a single channel, but problematic with bonded upstream... Of course, I may still have the problem, but so far so good....

corellama

join:2011-05-29
Kanata, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

So the problems still happened with the new modem I got. Today the best Rogers tech ever showed up. His name was Paul. He re-did all the connecters at the tap on the pole and the house connection. No change. Then we searched in the house for any hidden splitter. Nothing. Finally he traced the wire up high that comes over to the house and low and behold there was a 3 inch piece of bare wire. He said it was probably a squirrel as it was all chewed up.

My upstream power went from 55dBmV to 41.5dBmV. Much better now. Hungry squirrels are evil!

tonytoronto

Toronto, ON

Just an update, seems like its finally stable. It looks like it was the splitter some other Rogers idiot tech installed, been fine since we put us back on the tap.

QQCable

reply to pleco

so I caved and called TS again because the issue my internet has been cutting out every 30-35 minutes for 73 hours now..

no visible Signal/power issues... nothing in the logs..
TekkSavvy won't send a tech to look at the lines because of the signal levels..

If I'm to replace my modem... what model should I get. I really don't want another Motorola SB6120 because this problem is all over the internet with no solution.

Tekksavvy has a list of approved modems... does anyone have a good recommendation for a replacement?

tonytoronto

Toronto, ON

theres a small program in one of the forums here, it will datalog the signal levels of the modem, i used it on the Motorola and worked great, maybe be the only way for you to show them when signals go bust!

QQCable

reply to pleco

heh I have been using that... the signal is fine and when the modem does go out the script can't access the modem to get a reading.

SergeB

join:2012-08-14
North York, ON
reply to pleco

I'm also experiencing the same issue with the 6120. I had a rogers tech come and replace the splitter and change the cable wire and told me, if that doesn't fix it, it's the modem. Naturally, 2 days later the issue came back. I just recently bought this modem so I hardly think that it is a defective modem. Not sure what else I can do at this point. The disconnects happen approximately every 31 minutes, upstream power is at 45-47, but the logs do give some sort of clue for me; these three lines repeat themselves every time I disconnect:

MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=00:23:74:f5:b3:aa;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:54:cb:66:c5;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=00:23:74:f5:b3:aa;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:54:cb:66:c5;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Cable Modem Reboot due to IP loss ;CM-MAC=00:23:74:f5:b3:aa;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

I was actually researching the issue for a while and I found that changing the splitter fixed it for some people so I went to an electrical store to buy one (before the rogers tech came) and the guy at the store said that the setup I had at home was the problem; I have the cable outlet from the wall splitting for my cable TV and my internet. Not sure how accurate that statement is but perhaps that's the problem? Which is strange because I've always had a 2 way splitter setup like this until a few weeks ago where we had to call a rogers tech to replace our TV cable box (it was old) and he changed our old splitter for a "new one".

EGM92

join:2006-01-29

1 edit
reply to pleco

I'm still having my disconnects, it was ok about 2 weeks ago, it would only happen late night, or mid day when no one was home, I went away on vacation for a week, returned to look at my Router logs and see the slew of DNS errors. Moments after I got settled in, I started to get disconnected again, this was around 5pm, and it lasted for about 2 hours of up and down time. I'm fed up. A majority of the people I've talked to at Teksavvy can't give me a straight answer as to what's happening, feels like I'm being led through hoops and nothing is being resolved. I've even been told that I they weren't able to help and that I should call back at a later time with some more information.

That's a BS response. Where are the Teksavvy reps? It's obvious I'm not the only one, I have friends who are experiencing this on Rogers as well in multiple regions.

I've also noticed that before all of this started, the link light would flash at a constant pace, like once per second. Now When I look at it, it'll blink once per second 5-6 times then it'll takes 5-6 long flashes lasting 2s before returning to the quick pattern. I've had TSI internet with the same modem for over a year and have never seen this before.

side1021

join:2011-01-30
reply to pleco

I'm having the exact same issue. My modem will keep on reset for about an hour. Now it's fine but it has happened to me 3 times already in 1 month. It seems there is something wrong with upstream.

FYI my modem is a new SB6121.

atulb

join:2012-11-08
reply to pleco

Same issue T3, Teksavvy rep not at all helpful/useful. One solution people can try is changing the coax to another point on the splitter, ie. take wire going to TV connect to modem, take wire going to modem connect to TV. I find that this delays the issue for a while (atleast for me).

btw, how do you request a rogers tech. for teksavvy users?

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

said by atulb:

btw, how do you request a rogers tech. for teksavvy users?

In order to get a ticket opened for a tech visit you'll have to fill in a form in the TekSavvy Direct forum here: »TekSavvy Direct

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to pleco

Very interesting news on firmwares for SB6120 and SB6121..

I upgraded a SB6120 for a customer today. It started out on firmware 1.0.1.8. It synced on 4 downstream but only 3 upstream channels. Device connected to the modem couldn't do DHCP. Upgraded and the modem went online directly with 4x4, DHCP worked fine. Who knew firmware could cause DHCP problems

I've noticed some 1.0.0.x firmwares won't do any channel bonding at all. I've also had several reports that upgrading from 1.0.5.x to 1.0.6.1 does help resetting problems considerably.

In general, getting a firmware upgrade is making a lot more difference than I thought it would.
--
electronicsguru.ca

counting7

join:2010-02-02
reply to pleco

OMG so many people having exactly the same issue, and both Teksavvy and Rogers refuse to acknowledge the issue. I have been having this issue, along with occasional speed issues, since January. I have tried to get anyone interested in this issue and I've been ignored and tricked. The last ticket, they had the connection steady for about 3 days straight after which an elderly resident at my address received a call asking how the connection was. Despite saying "it was great for the past 3 days, but was terrible for 5 weeks prior to that"(paraphrasing) they closed the ticket and ignored the part about 5 weeks of constant terrible service.

I'm at my wits end and just want to switch providers, despite knowing that most other providers will just be renting their lines from Rogers or Bell anyway.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

If it's working for 3 days, then it makes perfect sense that it was fixed. That it was broken for the previous 5 weeks is irrelevant to the situation at the time of the call. Now the reality was that it wasn't fixed. But Rogers won't keep tickets open. Heck they close them after doing absolutely nothing and report NFF.

So, you have to call back in to TekSavvy and say "Hey it wasn't actually fixed ... please reopen the ticket!"

EMM

@rogers.com
reply to counting7

I'm running similar issue the last month or so, since an upgrade of service in the area.

Tue Dec 18 23:08:59 2012 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Tue Dec 18 23:08:50 2012 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Tue Dec 18 23:08:34 2012 Critical (3) DCC aborted unable to acquire new downstream channel

Roughly every 1/2 hour... Sometimes it skips...

I've done my research on this one, and getting techs arguing, REFUSING to look at the MODEM logs (only their remote logs)
They REFUSE to admit there's a problem with the line (downstream channel overlap!!!)
I just spent 20 minutes arguing with a tech that it was NOT the modem (5 replaced in the last 2-3 months), and NOT the network card on my computer (errors while modem is connected, powered on, but, unplugged from computer)

Have an ACTIVE forum post »communityforums.rogers.com/t5/fo···-id/8749 from them as well.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

1 recommendation

Have they checked your modem stats by any chance?

Do you have Excel? If so, you can run my Excel logger which grabs modem stats every minute and charts it.. Its one way to show Rogers there's an issue with the modem itself dropping.

Err, keep in mind this only works with the SB6120 & SB6121.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to EMM

Might turn out to be line attenuation or an RF issue somewheres on your line from the tap out, who knows. But yeah logging your signal levels will give a better idea over time.

trader117

join:2013-01-05
North York, ON
reply to pleco

I already have the same issue for three months. Anybody got a solution to fix it?

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

said by trader117:

I already have the same issue for three months. Anybody got a solution to fix it?

Have you run the excel spreadsheet to log your stats? Does it show anything?
--

trader117

North York, ON

Not yet, Just found here today. I am so frustrated with this issue these days. I will give it a try after I get home from work tonight.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

Gotcha.. I'll try to check back tonight or tomorrow for a log from you.
--

trader117

North York, ON

Thanks Resa.

trader117

North York, ON
reply to resa1983

My internet connection has been working normally since I got home last night, but I don't trust the likelihood of it retaining this consistency. Last time it only worked for a couple of days, before disconnecting again. I will run the excel spreadsheet as soon as the issue returns.

PC Vice

@charter.com
reply to trader117

Dont use the same service, but do have charter and use the same motorola modem. When this happens I usually get several messages something like this in the log:

MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Or

ToD request sent - No Response received;CM-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

My solution:

1) GOTO the modem setup page: »192.168.100.1
2) Click on "Configuration"
3) Click on "Reset All Defaults"
4) You will get a prompt that makes you worry...Don't, it will be okay. Answer yes.
5) Go to your modem and unplug the power from it and leave it unplugged for at least five minutes.
[5 minutes have gone by]
6) Plug your modem back in.
7) It will take your modem several minutes to relearn the route paths and download the config file from your ISP.
8) If this works for you, write a confirmation post here so that others might benefit from it.

I hope this helps.

Best Regard,
PCVice