uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to Zach1

Re: What country are sharp window air conditioners made?

Or, "assembled in USA" (from Chinese-made components, no doubt). Our BUNN coffee maker is that way.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
My sister used to work at a packaging manufacturer. They made packaging boxes for companies. On the bottom of every box they made was stamped "Made in the USA", meaning the box was. They sent a lot of their boxes overseas. Makes a guy wonder. The box company has since went out of business.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to hdtvtechno22
said by hdtvtechno22:

Nothing is made in USA anymore..sadly

Incorrect and companies are starting to move manufacturing back because of the Chinese middle class getting bigger.

PRC is more correct for the country of origin since that is the correct full name for China.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

They are a Japanese brand, but "made in PRC". They use "PRC" instead of "China", I suppose for marketing. Most people don't know what PRC is...

I'm not sure I've even seen "PRC" on anything. I also suspect that may be skirting the FTC rules regarding where a product is made. They do allow abbreviations but only when they're "obvious" as to what they mean. I'm not sure "PRC" is obvious to most people.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to nonamesleft
Sharp has a large manufacturing facility here in Memphis which used to make televisions and microwaves and such. Today they primarily make solar panels, although they may still do some "Assembled in the USA" work there, too, for various items.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to hdtvtechno22
said by hdtvtechno22:

Sadly, that's what most Americans mistakenly think. The United States manufacturing sector output is the second largest in the world. It is just a hair below that of China's manufacturing sector output. Japan, in third, doesn't even come close to producing half of the USA manufacturing output:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing_sector

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to nonamesleft
Back in the late '80 s I was a rep for Sharp.

I took multiple trips to Memphis. Walked with the ducks.

Sharp hade a state of the art manufacturing facility there, in Memphis.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to nonamesleft
That factory made microwave ovens and AC's

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
said by mityfowl:

That factory made microwave ovens and AC's

Apparently Sharp has made a lot of stuff there over the years, at least in small quantities, because every time I read something about it they mention something different. It looks like it originated as a color television factory, and today makes "microwave ovens, copier toner and solar modules", but all you ever really hear about today is the solar stuff - 3 million panels and counting!

»www.sharpusa.com/AboutSharp/News···nel.aspx

Note that's just the panels/modules; I suspect that the solar cells themselves originate from China, which has been flooding the market with cheap cells lately.

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

said by Lurch77:

They are a Japanese brand, but "made in PRC". They use "PRC" instead of "China", I suppose for marketing. Most people don't know what PRC is...

I'm not sure I've even seen "PRC" on anything. I also suspect that may be skirting the FTC rules regarding where a product is made. They do allow abbreviations but only when they're "obvious" as to what they mean. I'm not sure "PRC" is obvious to most people.

I'm surprised you have not seen it. It is on a lot of products sold here in the USA. Here are some google image examples. »www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ma···Gwpfj6Ag

China is not the only one doing this. On the job, I ran into some gas regulators stamped "Made in E.U.." I found out later this stood for European Union, and means the parts were made in one of any of the European countries in the union.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
I'll start looking...

As for "EU", they consider themselves one entity now. I am surprised that the individual countries don't want the recognition though.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
I used to work for a "manufacturer." Once we unloaded a container that came from China. It was full of stuff labeled "Made in Canada". The place didn't have a manufacturing facility. The only "production" work done was repackaging some items.

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

said by Hall:

said by Lurch77:

I'm surprised you have not seen it. It is on a lot of products sold here in the USA. Here are some google image examples. »www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ma···Gwpfj6Ag

China is not the only one doing this. On the job, I ran into some gas regulators stamped "Made in E.U.." I found out later this stood for European Union, and means the parts were made in one of any of the European countries in the union.

Many countries in the EU make high quality products, at a price cheaper than the US, so that's not bad. mainly, if you stay away fron china and mexico made products, you'll get good quality. not that those countries CAN'T make good quality products, but rather those countries are used most often by others to get contracts to make cheap junk that is then sold to the US, at a hefty profit!. i haven't seen that with EU made products.

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI
I apologize if I gave the impression that Europe makes inferior products. I meant only to state they started putting E.U. instead of, say Germany, on some products. I know Europe makes some real fine items. Few people can argue about quality from Germany, for example

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to iknow
said by iknow:

...if you stay away fron china and mexico made products, you'll get good quality. not that those countries CAN'T make good quality products...

A number of years, the most "reliable" Ford product was the Focus, made in Mexico. Fender also had a line of Stratocaster guitars that were made in Mexico and were considered by many to be just as good as the ones made in the US.

moes
Premium
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
reply to nonamesleft
Long as it's not junk, I really do not give a hoot where it's made.

Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV
reply to seaquake
said by seaquake:

There are things still made in the USA and you are usually informed of the fact by a big-ass American flag taking up one side of the box stating the fact.

A year or two ago I bought a set of bed sheets, on the back of the package was an American flag, and the words "Made in USA" under it. I went back to the same store about 6 months later, and bought the same kind of sheets. The American flag was still there, but the text under the flag had changed to "Made for USA" and elsewhere on the package, in a small font, was "Made in Pakistan". I only noticed it when I was throwing the packaging away. So you can't go by the American flag on the packaging anymore.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
reply to hdtvtechno22
said by hdtvtechno22:

My Plano "Magnum Satchel" tacklebox is made in the USA.

Sold by Wally, it's a steal for $18.00. I use it for my vaping supplies.
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to iknow
said by iknow:

Many countries in the EU make high quality products, at a price cheaper than the US, so that's not bad. mainly, if you stay away fron china and mexico made products, you'll get good quality. not that those countries CAN'T make good quality products, but rather those countries are used most often by others to get contracts to make cheap junk that is then sold to the US, at a hefty profit!. i haven't seen that with EU made products.

There's nothing cheap about Apple products that Steve Jobs had manufactured in China using slave labor so severe that many committed suicide from the pressure. He claimed to not know about the conditions. How could he have not known?

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to moes
said by moes:

If I am to expect my fellow citizens to buy or utilize the services I provide to make a living and provide for myself and my family I believe I have an obligation to try to buy products made by my fellow citizens trying to make a living for themselves and their families.

As Americans we have lost the fact that we're all a family and it is evident in the loss of our manufacturing jobs.

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Callcentric
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by moes:

If I am to expect my fellow citizens to buy or utilize the services I provide to make a living and provide for myself and my family I believe I have an obligation to try to buy products made by my fellow citizens trying to make a living for themselves and their families.

As Americans we have lost the fact that we're all a family and it is evident in the loss of our manufacturing jobs.

I try to buy made in usa too, just as long as I can afford it, but my most recent purchase was a generator, I didn't have enough for one made here.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by moes:

Oh no it's not.. We're all gonna live happily ever after being designers and managers while our Chinese and Indian slaves will make what we design under our management. We'll all be rich, won't do real work and live happily ever after

I can't believe my generation swallowed that coming from the boomers and that enough people still believe in it
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to nonamesleft
I am a small business owner in Arizona
I believe strongly in supporting those who support me
I have never had a Chinese customer but many from Canada, Mexico and of course US

When I was in market for a mini split ac unit not long ago, I did considerable research looking for a USA model

Wasn't one

I did discover along the way that it appears 100% of ac compressors in the world are made in China

I finally found one brand, YMGI, that is made mostly in Japan

If I can't buy USA Canada or Mexico, I buy whatever is not made in China

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to hdtvtechno22
said by hdtvtechno22:

that's not 100% true, I know in perryville, MO tg-usa makes car parts for a lot of foreign cars (airbags, coats steering wheels, mounts and airs tires on wheels). Gilster Mary-Lee makes a lot of off brand cereals, noodle dinners, popcorn products for a lot of the big names. In (oh I will call it Jackson, MO) you have Proctor & gamble making diapers, maxi pads for women, and pull ups down there off neely's landing there.

Granite city, IL there is a kraft foods factory here.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to FiReSTaRT
said by FiReSTaRT:

Oh no it's not.. We're all gonna live happily ever after being designers and managers while our Chinese and Indian slaves will make what we design under our management.

Actually, there are many designers in India now... I know this from personal experience :-( At my previous job, our entire department is gone, except for (1) person. His job is to send the requests to the "design center" in India, receive them back, etc, etc.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to nonamesleft
said by nonamesleft:

said by Hall:

said by nonamesleft:

I thought sharp would of at least made them in thailand or something.

Curious why you think that. They're a for-profit company and if they can have their product(s) made in a location that maintains their quality levels (you can get high-quality from China - it's up to the company and the standards they demand) and has the lowest costs (i.e. labor), they're going to !

Well I have a sharp microwave that was made in thailand, I think it was manufactured in 2005.

Same but mine is from 2000.. still works but I replaced it with a Panasonoc (made in china) I needed something bigger and the sensor cook is nice.

I wonder how much moaning and complaining people did about Japanese products back in the day?
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to seaquake
said by seaquake:

There are things still made in the USA and you are usually informed of the fact by a big-ass American flag taking up one side of the box stating the fact.

lol so true I work at UPS so I get to see this.. but you know what's sad.. almost every friken shopping bags for stores in the mall like high end stuff every single box of bags (200 to a box) are made in china.. are you telling me that we can't make a friken shopping bag here???
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

1 recommendation

reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

So I take it you have one of these Washing Machines in your home:

This is a Staber model HXW2504 made entirely in Ohio, and all sub components are American made. The only one made in the U.S. (that I could ever find)

It cost $1899.00

No doubt you own the matching dryer that retails for $874 as well? Pics of the units in your laundry room would be inspirational!

Purchasing something solely because it's Made in the U.S is a ridiculous premise.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to nonamesleft
I also wanted to say.. as a person who works on circuits and have to buy components like resistors LED's capacitors and so on from like Mouser and Digikey they always print where the products come from and most is from China, Thailand and maybe if you are lucky USA.

We need global trade.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to dogma
said by dogma:

Purchasing something solely because it's Made in the U.S is a ridiculous premise.

Well maybe your fellow citizens will feel the same about your product or service. Think about that. They keep your paycheck coming in. If I want them to buy my product or service then I should be buying theirs not someone's from a foreign country. We are Americans and should be patronizing each other.