share rss forum feed

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Callcentric
reply to Jack_in_VA

Re: What country are sharp window air conditioners made?

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by moes:

Long as it's not junk, I really do not give a hoot where it's made.

If I am to expect my fellow citizens to buy or utilize the services I provide to make a living and provide for myself and my family I believe I have an obligation to try to buy products made by my fellow citizens trying to make a living for themselves and their families.

As Americans we have lost the fact that we're all a family and it is evident in the loss of our manufacturing jobs.

I try to buy made in usa too, just as long as I can afford it, but my most recent purchase was a generator, I didn't have enough for one made here.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by moes:

Long as it's not junk, I really do not give a hoot where it's made.

If I am to expect my fellow citizens to buy or utilize the services I provide to make a living and provide for myself and my family I believe I have an obligation to try to buy products made by my fellow citizens trying to make a living for themselves and their families.

As Americans we have lost the fact that we're all a family and it is evident in the loss of our manufacturing jobs.

Oh no it's not.. We're all gonna live happily ever after being designers and managers while our Chinese and Indian slaves will make what we design under our management. We'll all be rich, won't do real work and live happily ever after

I can't believe my generation swallowed that coming from the boomers and that enough people still believe in it
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to nonamesleft
I am a small business owner in Arizona
I believe strongly in supporting those who support me
I have never had a Chinese customer but many from Canada, Mexico and of course US

When I was in market for a mini split ac unit not long ago, I did considerable research looking for a USA model

Wasn't one

I did discover along the way that it appears 100% of ac compressors in the world are made in China

I finally found one brand, YMGI, that is made mostly in Japan

If I can't buy USA Canada or Mexico, I buy whatever is not made in China

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to hdtvtechno22
said by hdtvtechno22:

Nothing is made in USA anymore..sadly

that's not 100% true, I know in perryville, MO tg-usa makes car parts for a lot of foreign cars (airbags, coats steering wheels, mounts and airs tires on wheels). Gilster Mary-Lee makes a lot of off brand cereals, noodle dinners, popcorn products for a lot of the big names. In (oh I will call it Jackson, MO) you have Proctor & gamble making diapers, maxi pads for women, and pull ups down there off neely's landing there.

Granite city, IL there is a kraft foods factory here.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to FiReSTaRT
said by FiReSTaRT:

Oh no it's not.. We're all gonna live happily ever after being designers and managers while our Chinese and Indian slaves will make what we design under our management.

Actually, there are many designers in India now... I know this from personal experience :-( At my previous job, our entire department is gone, except for (1) person. His job is to send the requests to the "design center" in India, receive them back, etc, etc.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to nonamesleft
said by nonamesleft:

said by Hall:

said by nonamesleft:

I thought sharp would of at least made them in thailand or something.

Curious why you think that. They're a for-profit company and if they can have their product(s) made in a location that maintains their quality levels (you can get high-quality from China - it's up to the company and the standards they demand) and has the lowest costs (i.e. labor), they're going to !

Well I have a sharp microwave that was made in thailand, I think it was manufactured in 2005.

Same but mine is from 2000.. still works but I replaced it with a Panasonoc (made in china) I needed something bigger and the sensor cook is nice.

I wonder how much moaning and complaining people did about Japanese products back in the day?
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to seaquake
said by seaquake:

There are things still made in the USA and you are usually informed of the fact by a big-ass American flag taking up one side of the box stating the fact.

lol so true I work at UPS so I get to see this.. but you know what's sad.. almost every friken shopping bags for stores in the mall like high end stuff every single box of bags (200 to a box) are made in china.. are you telling me that we can't make a friken shopping bag here???
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

1 recommendation

reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

So I take it you have one of these Washing Machines in your home:

This is a Staber model HXW2504 made entirely in Ohio, and all sub components are American made. The only one made in the U.S. (that I could ever find)

It cost $1899.00

No doubt you own the matching dryer that retails for $874 as well? Pics of the units in your laundry room would be inspirational!

Purchasing something solely because it's Made in the U.S is a ridiculous premise.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to nonamesleft
I also wanted to say.. as a person who works on circuits and have to buy components like resistors LED's capacitors and so on from like Mouser and Digikey they always print where the products come from and most is from China, Thailand and maybe if you are lucky USA.

We need global trade.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to dogma
said by dogma:

Purchasing something solely because it's Made in the U.S is a ridiculous premise.

Well maybe your fellow citizens will feel the same about your product or service. Think about that. They keep your paycheck coming in. If I want them to buy my product or service then I should be buying theirs not someone's from a foreign country. We are Americans and should be patronizing each other.

dogma
XYZ
Premium
Boulder City, NV

2 recommendations

said by Jack_in_VA:

We are Americans and should be patronizing each other.

Believe me, I wish that were true. It's just not the world we live in today.

It was true years ago, but the idea that manufacturing creates jobs is false for the most part now. Be it here or anywhere else in the world. When we think manufacturing assembly line, we dredge up this mental image of men working shoulder-to-shoulder:

»/r0/download/1···ine1.JPG

But today's reality looks like this:

»/r0/download/1···ine2.JPG

We have a Taiwanese customer that manufactures medical equipment. The have a plant in China. That plant employed 60,000 workers. They relocated that plant to Vietnam. The new fully automated plant outputs 4x the product, but only has 8,000 workers.

Even slaves have to sleep, eat, take restroom breaks, whereas robots work 24/7/365 and never complain about working conditions. Robots make products perfectly every time. (This is why I will buy a 2 year old car with 200,000 miles on it because a robot built it)

I can't think of too many jobs that can't be automated. So China's reign as the king of manufacturing will be over sooner than anyone thinks.

So it doesn't really matter anymore where stuff is made, as it doesn't affect the job creation like we want to think it does.

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO
said by dogma:

We have a Taiwanese customer that manufactures medical equipment. The have a plant in China. That plant employed 60,000 workers. They relocated that plant to Vietnam. The new fully automated plant outputs 4x the product, but only has 8,000 workers.

So it doesn't really matter anymore where stuff is made, as it doesn't affect the job creation like we want to think it does.

You are right, this is a really big deal. The good news is that cost savings will bring the manufacturing back to the US (if labor cost is minimal it is more cost effective to avoid shipping the finished goods back). The bad news is that we will never employ as many people in the manufacturing sector as we used to.

The Chinese still have a huge labor force because they still do many tasks by hand. For instance, an iPhone is largely hand-assembled. However, there will be a turning point where the Chinese wages increase too much or the automation gets too cheap and the corporate HQ folks will figure out that machines located in the actual country of sale will be cheaper.

One other factor to point out, I agree with the anecdotal findings of many of you that more and more products sold at Home Depot, Walmart, etc are made in the US. Personally, I think this is as much a reflection of the recession and the lower cost of manufacturing in the US as it is some sort of patriotic move.
--
Everyone should own a Mac! Go Bucks!

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I wonder how much moaning and complaining people did about Japanese products back in the day?

This was something of a running joke in the original Back to the Future movie!

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to Fronkman
said by Fronkman:

You are right, this is a really big deal. The good news is that cost savings will bring the manufacturing back to the US (if labor cost is minimal it is more cost effective to avoid shipping the finished goods back). The bad news is that we will never employ as many people in the manufacturing sector as we used to.

Foxconn (the Apple manufacturer) has already announced plans to replace most of their labor force with robots - millions of them, IIRC. Said robots will have to designed, built, installed, and maintained by skilled labor - not by the farm kids fresh out of the rice paddies that Foxconn has traditionally hired by the droves. They'll probably end up having to move their manufacturing facilities, too, to someplace with a higher-quality of infrastructure (more reliable power and so on); they've already stated that they will be moving a lot of it out of China. First-world countries are not only best for this, but they are also generally richer and more in line with being primary markets, so fewer transportation costs and such.

Places like Thailand, which bent over backwards to make companies such as hard-drive manufacturers welcome there, still failed to do basic infrastructure work like planning for flood control and such. Which is why the hard-drive industry nearly fell apart when the big floods hit Thailand last year (as they do almost every year, in fact; it's called "the monsoon season").

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
How long before robots build other robots ? Then they take over everything ?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to dogma
said by dogma:

This is a Staber model HXW2504 made entirely in Ohio, and all sub components are American made. The only one made in the U.S. (that I could ever find)

It cost $1899.00

No doubt you own the matching dryer that retails for $874 as well? Pics of the units in your laundry room would be inspirational!

Whirlpool claims to have (9) manufacturing sites in the US, »www.howtobuyamerican.com/bamw/ba···30.shtml. Not to be a skeptic, but as I mentioned above, do they really just "assemble" them here ? Are all, or at least a majority, of the parts US-made as well ?

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to scross
said by scross:

said by Subaru:

Growing up in the 70's, our family considered Made in Japan to be a sign of crap. We wanted Made in the USA. China wasn't even on the horizon back then. We (my immediate family and my parents) still try to buy Made in the USA as much as possible. Sometimes it's not, but mostly we try.
--
So it is a tax! Now what do you say, you lying sack of crap? Or would you prefer I just hand over my entire paycheck, jackass?

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO
said by Badonkadonk:

Growing up in the 70's, our family considered Made in Japan to be a sign of crap. We wanted Made in the USA. China wasn't even on the horizon back then. We (my immediate family and my parents) still try to buy Made in the USA as much as possible. Sometimes it's not, but mostly we try.

I think it is worth pointing out, though MOST of the Chinese-made stuff is junk, US manufactured goods are not universally superior. Ever drive a Dodge?
--
Everyone should own a Mac! Go Bucks!

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
I absolutely agree. And I won't buy US made if it's crap, just because it's made in this country.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Badonkadonk
In the early to middle 70's they were crap. Even to the late 70's they were still pretty crappy. They then had the right cars for the time with the fuel issues and at the right price compared to their competition.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
said by CylonRed:

In the early to middle 70's they were crap. Even to the late 70's they were still pretty crappy. They then had the right cars for the time with the fuel issues and at the right price compared to their competition.

Man, those early Japanese cars were rust buckets. What a joke they were. Obviously the joke was on us, since they they've been laughing all the way to the bank for some time now.
--
So it is a tax! Now what do you say, you lying sack of crap? Or would you prefer I just hand over my entire paycheck, jackass?

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

said by dogma:

It cost $1899.00

Whirlpool claims to have (9) manufacturing sites in the US, »www.howtobuyamerican.com/bamw/ba···30.shtml. Not to be a skeptic, but as I mentioned above, do they really just "assemble" them here ? Are all, or at least a majority, of the parts US-made as well ?

it's probably just assembled in USA using imported components, how else could they compete price wise? and that website seems to only care about americans being employed, not really about completely made in USA.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

but you know what's sad.. almost every friken shopping bags for stores in the mall like high end stuff every single box of bags (200 to a box) are made in china.. are you telling me that we can't make a friken shopping bag here???

Sure can: High Quality Shopping Bags made in California!.
I have a shopping bag from this company (unlike the bags on their website, the one I have is made from 100% recycled materials) and it is way more sturdy then any other shopping bag I have seen. No need to be afraid of filling it up.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

dogma
XYZ
Premium
Boulder City, NV
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

Good point.
said by NYTimes --> »www.nytimes.com/2005/06/17/busin···nted=all :
Whirlpool's global network, a work in progress, includes microwave ovens engineered in Sweden and made in China for American consumers; stoves designed in America and made in Tulsa, Okla., for American consumers; refrigerators assembled in Brazil and exported to Europe; and top-loading washers made at a sprawling factory in Clyde, Ohio, for American consumers, although some are sold in Mexico.
But Alibaba shows 667 unique parts for Whirlpool Washing machines made/manufactured in China. So these are really assembly plants.

However;
said by WSJ --> »online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142···376.html :
As a plant manager in Greenville for Whirlpool Corp., he brought back production of that company's KitchenAid hand mixers, which for the previous six years had been made by a contractor in Huizhou, China, near Guangzhou.

The net gain in U.S. jobs at Whirlpool? About 25.
Good article which illustrates what we are discussing here.

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI
reply to nonamesleft
Why do those twist lock plugs cost so damn much at lowes? They are made in CHINA!

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
said by nonamesleft:

Why do those twist lock plugs cost so damn much at lowes? They are made in CHINA!

Because they can. Did you see the prices of anything drop when it was switched to being made in China ? Hell no ! The company's profits sure will increase though.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Badonkadonk
said by Badonkadonk:

said by CylonRed:

Man, those early Japanese cars were rust buckets. What a joke they were. Obviously the joke was on us, since they they've been laughing all the way to the bank for some time now.

Rust buckets and underpowered. What a joke.

I had one Toyota a 1990 pickup we inherited when my FIL died. That was the first and "LAST" Toyota I'll ever have in my driveway.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
So you let a very old Toyota model change your judgement?

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Badonkadonk:

said by CylonRed:

Rust buckets and underpowered. What a joke.

I had one Toyota a 1990 pickup we inherited when my FIL died. That was the first and "LAST" Toyota I'll ever have in my driveway.

In 1987 I had a brand new Celica GTS. It was an awesome car. Occasional bad cars happen. Sometimes a maker will have an entire line that's bad for a particular model year. If I remember correctly, Japanese trucks really weren't very good until the mid to late 90s.
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to scross
said by scross:

said by Subaru:

Believe it or not I've never watched that movie yet lol