uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to nonamesleft

Re: What country are sharp window air conditioners made?

Peoples Republic of China.
Being Japanese means nothing. My company installs the Fujitsu brand mini-split systems. They are a Japanese brand, but "made in PRC". They use "PRC" instead of "China", I suppose for marketing. Most people don't know what PRC is and are just happy it's not made in China.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

said by Lurch77:

They are a Japanese brand, but "made in PRC". They use "PRC" instead of "China", I suppose for marketing. Most people don't know what PRC is...

I'm not sure I've even seen "PRC" on anything. I also suspect that may be skirting the FTC rules regarding where a product is made. They do allow abbreviations but only when they're "obvious" as to what they mean. I'm not sure "PRC" is obvious to most people.

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI

said by Hall:

said by Lurch77:

They are a Japanese brand, but "made in PRC". They use "PRC" instead of "China", I suppose for marketing. Most people don't know what PRC is...

I'm not sure I've even seen "PRC" on anything. I also suspect that may be skirting the FTC rules regarding where a product is made. They do allow abbreviations but only when they're "obvious" as to what they mean. I'm not sure "PRC" is obvious to most people.

I'm surprised you have not seen it. It is on a lot of products sold here in the USA. Here are some google image examples. »www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ma···Gwpfj6Ag

China is not the only one doing this. On the job, I ran into some gas regulators stamped "Made in E.U.." I found out later this stood for European Union, and means the parts were made in one of any of the European countries in the union.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

I'll start looking...

As for "EU", they consider themselves one entity now. I am surprised that the individual countries don't want the recognition though.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada

I used to work for a "manufacturer." Once we unloaded a container that came from China. It was full of stuff labeled "Made in Canada". The place didn't have a manufacturing facility. The only "production" work done was repackaging some items.

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to Lurch77

said by Lurch77:

said by Hall:

said by Lurch77:

I'm surprised you have not seen it. It is on a lot of products sold here in the USA. Here are some google image examples. »www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ma···Gwpfj6Ag

China is not the only one doing this. On the job, I ran into some gas regulators stamped "Made in E.U.." I found out later this stood for European Union, and means the parts were made in one of any of the European countries in the union.

Many countries in the EU make high quality products, at a price cheaper than the US, so that's not bad. mainly, if you stay away fron china and mexico made products, you'll get good quality. not that those countries CAN'T make good quality products, but rather those countries are used most often by others to get contracts to make cheap junk that is then sold to the US, at a hefty profit!. i haven't seen that with EU made products.

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI

I apologize if I gave the impression that Europe makes inferior products. I meant only to state they started putting E.U. instead of, say Germany, on some products. I know Europe makes some real fine items. Few people can argue about quality from Germany, for example

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to iknow

said by iknow:

...if you stay away fron china and mexico made products, you'll get good quality. not that those countries CAN'T make good quality products...

A number of years, the most "reliable" Ford product was the Focus, made in Mexico. Fender also had a line of Stratocaster guitars that were made in Mexico and were considered by many to be just as good as the ones made in the US.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to iknow

said by iknow:

Many countries in the EU make high quality products, at a price cheaper than the US, so that's not bad. mainly, if you stay away fron china and mexico made products, you'll get good quality. not that those countries CAN'T make good quality products, but rather those countries are used most often by others to get contracts to make cheap junk that is then sold to the US, at a hefty profit!. i haven't seen that with EU made products.

There's nothing cheap about Apple products that Steve Jobs had manufactured in China using slave labor so severe that many committed suicide from the pressure. He claimed to not know about the conditions. How could he have not known?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Lurch77

said by Lurch77:

Being Japanese means nothing. My company installs the Fujitsu brand mini-split systems. They are a Japanese brand, but "made in PRC". They use "PRC" instead of "China", I suppose for marketing. Most people don't know what PRC is and are just happy it's not made in China.

"China" can refer to multiple areas. What most people call China is PRC. However typically PRC excludes Hong Kong and Macau. Taiwan, Republic of China is claimed by PRC, however it's government disputes that so PRC and ROC are two separate regions and something said to be made in PRC is NOT made in ROC and vice versa.

Anything labeled as made in PRC definitely is made in the communist China mainland. If it just says Made in China, it could be made in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN

1 recommendation

said by cdru:

said by Lurch77:

"China" can refer to multiple areas. What most people call China is PRC. However typically PRC excludes Hong Kong and Macau. Taiwan, Republic of China is claimed by PRC, however it's government disputes that so PRC and ROC are two separate regions and something said to be made in PRC is NOT made in ROC and vice versa.

Anything labeled as made in PRC definitely is made in the communist China mainland. If it just says Made in China, it could be made in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan.

Lately it's being noted that the Chinese "economic miracle" is starting to crack, and having been artificially inflated by government policies its fall may be that much more severe. Historically this means unrest, which in China usually means revolution and/or war, so war may be coming. And that may very well spread to the entire region, if not farther. So all of those companies who have outsourced or off-shored or who otherwise depend on China and that region for cheap access to goods and services better have some contingency plans in place, which may mean bringing all or at least part of that work back home.