how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hdtvtechno22

join:2008-08-22
Chicago, IL
reply to nonamesleft

Re: What country are sharp window air conditioners made?

Nothing is made in USA anymore..sadly

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA
said by hdtvtechno22:

my Toyota Camry was made (well, assembled) in the USA.

back to the OPs question... I checked their website and they don't say where the units are made (longshot, I know), but the one manual I checked does says it was printed in China.
--
flickr gallery | photo blog (rarely updated) | play mafia!

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Callcentric
reply to hdtvtechno22
said by hdtvtechno22:

I wouldn't say that. I believe my hobart stick welder was made here. The lincoln stick welder has a made in china cord on so they lost out because of that. But too often most things are made in china,

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

You can find a lot of things made in the USA if you look hard enough. The problem is the typical consumer simply wants the cheapest shit made, quality or origin be damned. This is easy to see by how packed every Walmart parking lot is. The subject of garden spray nozzles has come up here in this forum a few times. You absolutely cannot find one made in the USA unless you look around the internet. No local retailers carry them.

On a side note, I have noticed Home Depot has started carrying more and more USA made items. Also, this is not a dig against the Chinese people, I know for a fact those people can make some quality stuff. The problem lies with the companies that demand the cheapest specs on their products they have built over there.

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI
I go past walmart and it often seems like no one ever leaves! Do people live in that place?

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

You can find a lot of things made in the USA if you look hard enough. The problem is the typical consumer simply wants the cheapest shit made, quality or origin be damned.

Personally, I prefer quality over low-cost, but I often can't afford it.... :-(

When I do find "Made in USA" stuff, I'm pleasantly surprised. I remember buying those giant storage tubs (Rubbermaid, I think) at Walmart, yes, Walmart, and they were made in the USA.

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
reply to hdtvtechno22
There are things still made in the USA and you are usually informed of the fact by a big-ass American flag taking up one side of the box stating the fact.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
Haha ! Very true !

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

1 recommendation

reply to seaquake
All too often, under that big-ass American flag, it's written in two-point font that the item is "Designed in USA". It's nearly as misleading as the "Made in PRC" mentioned earlier.
--
Zach

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
2 point font? I imagine that would look like Morse code

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to hdtvtechno22
said by hdtvtechno22:

There are plenty of things made in America:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_in_Am···program)

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Zach1
Or, "assembled in USA" (from Chinese-made components, no doubt). Our BUNN coffee maker is that way.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
My sister used to work at a packaging manufacturer. They made packaging boxes for companies. On the bottom of every box they made was stamped "Made in the USA", meaning the box was. They sent a lot of their boxes overseas. Makes a guy wonder. The box company has since went out of business.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to hdtvtechno22
said by hdtvtechno22:

Incorrect and companies are starting to move manufacturing back because of the Chinese middle class getting bigger.

PRC is more correct for the country of origin since that is the correct full name for China.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to hdtvtechno22
said by hdtvtechno22:

Sadly, that's what most Americans mistakenly think. The United States manufacturing sector output is the second largest in the world. It is just a hair below that of China's manufacturing sector output. Japan, in third, doesn't even come close to producing half of the USA manufacturing output:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing_sector

Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV
reply to seaquake
said by seaquake:

There are things still made in the USA and you are usually informed of the fact by a big-ass American flag taking up one side of the box stating the fact.

A year or two ago I bought a set of bed sheets, on the back of the package was an American flag, and the words "Made in USA" under it. I went back to the same store about 6 months later, and bought the same kind of sheets. The American flag was still there, but the text under the flag had changed to "Made for USA" and elsewhere on the package, in a small font, was "Made in Pakistan". I only noticed it when I was throwing the packaging away. So you can't go by the American flag on the packaging anymore.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
reply to hdtvtechno22
said by hdtvtechno22:

My Plano "Magnum Satchel" tacklebox is made in the USA.

Sold by Wally, it's a steal for $18.00. I use it for my vaping supplies.
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to hdtvtechno22
said by hdtvtechno22:

that's not 100% true, I know in perryville, MO tg-usa makes car parts for a lot of foreign cars (airbags, coats steering wheels, mounts and airs tires on wheels). Gilster Mary-Lee makes a lot of off brand cereals, noodle dinners, popcorn products for a lot of the big names. In (oh I will call it Jackson, MO) you have Proctor & gamble making diapers, maxi pads for women, and pull ups down there off neely's landing there.

Granite city, IL there is a kraft foods factory here.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to seaquake
said by seaquake:

lol so true I work at UPS so I get to see this.. but you know what's sad.. almost every friken shopping bags for stores in the mall like high end stuff every single box of bags (200 to a box) are made in china.. are you telling me that we can't make a friken shopping bag here???
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
said by Subaru:

but you know what's sad.. almost every friken shopping bags for stores in the mall like high end stuff every single box of bags (200 to a box) are made in china.. are you telling me that we can't make a friken shopping bag here???

Sure can: High Quality Shopping Bags made in California!.
I have a shopping bag from this company (unlike the bags on their website, the one I have is made from 100% recycled materials) and it is way more sturdy then any other shopping bag I have seen. No need to be afraid of filling it up.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!