share rss forum feed

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Highest voltage 2032 battery

What is the highest voltage, non 3.6V 2032 battery? (there are several different chemistries -- BR, CR, ML, VL)

The background story is the following: I have a digital pressure gauge that worked fine for a while, then started to misbehave in various ways. Initially, removing the battery, leaving it out for 15 mins, then putting it back seem to have fixed the issue. I checked the battery several times, but since a 3V nominal battery was over 3, I considered it good. Today it gone completely berserk, so even though the battery measured 3.07V, I decided to replace it. First, I pulled 8 batteries from my mobo collection -- 2.9V .. 2.7V, and at the lower end the gauge didn't work at all. So I got a new battery from Staples since I needed something else from there -- 3.25V out of the package, and my pressure gauge works like new.

Wonder if I should just go with a 3.6V rechargeable, instead of trying to find a highest voltage 3V battery.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus
Lithiums are Just over 3.0V new according to my data sheets.

At 2.75V, they are about 75% discharged. I bet the batts near 2.7V where near dead and could not power the gauge.

Rechargables won't have the same capacity. I'd stick with a regular 2032 lithium.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
How much charge they have at 3.07V? The battery (Sony CR2032) measured that much, and it wasn't sufficient. (readings were unreliable)
--
Wacky Races 2012!

stray

join:2000-01-16
Warren, NJ
reply to aurgathor
You can stack two CR2016 batteries and get 6 volts. CR2016 is about 1/2 the thickness of CR2032.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to aurgathor
I wonder if the device has a high current draw. That may cause the voltage to drop too much when in use - and the battery voltage will quickly increase after removing it, giving the impression that it still has juice.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
reply to aurgathor
Click for full size
said by aurgathor:

What is the highest voltage, non 3.6V 2032 battery? (there are several different chemistries -- BR, CR, ML, VL)

CR2032 cells are slightly better than BR. ( I have not used ML/VL/etc. )

You can do a simple 100 ohm load test on one sample cell from a batch to see how good they will be. See graph and comments above.

said by aurgathor:

Wonder if I should just go with a 3.6V rechargeable, instead of trying to find a highest voltage 3V battery.

Rechargeable 2032 size cells will start above 4V which may not be OK with your gizmo ... you need to check with manufacturer.

*** You could consider "hybrid" primary cells which add a capacitor.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to stray
said by stray:

You can stack two CR2016 batteries and get 6 volts. CR2016 is about 1/2 the thickness of CR2032.

That (6V) would most certainly be way too much.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

I wonder if the device has a high current draw. That may cause the voltage to drop too much when in use - and the battery voltage will quickly increase after removing it, giving the impression that it still has juice.

That is a valid question, though I think it's somewhat unlikely. I will check it out, nonetheless.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to lutful
said by lutful:

Rechargeable 2032 size cells will start above 4V which may not be OK with your gizmo ... you need to check with manufacturer.

*** You could consider "hybrid" primary cells which add a capacitor.

Well, I can add a 3.9V Zener, and that should take care of overvoltage and surface charge.

I've never heard of "hybrid" primary cells, but I can most certainly add a capacitor myself, though I'm not sure if it would make any difference.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
If you are willing to solder a zener or capacitor ... there is really no need to stick with a "2032" coin cell. LiFeSO4 cells are nominally 3.2V and even a small planar package will give you way more capacity.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
Thanks, I didn't know that. However, I need to take a look if there's enough space to put in a different battery, or battery holder since it probably takes up a bit more space than a Zener.
--
Wacky Races 2012!