spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aannoonn

@optonline.net

[Rant] Worst Burger King in the world

I went to the Burger King at 2271 South Main Street in Harrisonburg, VA, last Friday night. It was horrible. Following are the comments I sent via bk.com:

"This was absolutely the worst BK I've ever been to. It took 21 minutes (I timed it) to get our food. The chicken sandwich was unedible. The kitchen was entirely disorganized. There was water on the floor, creating a SAFETY HAZARD. The garbage cans were overflowing. It was very hot inside (at least 85). The fountain drink selection was poor, offering only carbonated drinks. The entire experience was AWFUL. We threw away most of the food. How can you justify treating your customers so badly?"

By all means, avoid the Burger King at 2271 South Main Street in Harrisonburg, Virginia.

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

they will only care if it's a corporate store, if it's a franchise they will slap the owner on the wrist and tell them to fix the problem.

I worked for them for years when I was younger.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to aannoonn

said by aannoonn :

unedible

Not a word.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to aannoonn

Aside from what Josuha said, you should have first asked to speak with the manager immediately about the inedible food. Waiting until after you have left and telling corporate that the food sucked is pointless. While they might send you some coupons, that is not the most effective means for effecting improvement by the establishment.

Always speak to the manager on duty right then and there.
If s/he was unable or unwilling to make things right be sure you have his name (supposed to always be displayed somewhere near the registers). It should also be on your receipt, along with the restaurant/franchise ID number. Keep that receipt.

If you can't get satisfaction when you are at the restaurant, convey the information, what the manager told you and why that was not acceptable resolution. Be sure to include the restaurant ID and the transaction ID for your order so they can trace it down if necessary.

All of the big chains DO take customer complaints about service or food quality seriously. Quite often, they are even harder on franchises than corporate stores because if they don't have a good image and rep they won't generate revenue for the operators or attract other franchisees to buy-in.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to aannoonn

Why would anyone choose to eat at a restaurant with overflowing garbage cans, uncomfortably hot dining room and nastiness on the floor? I prefer to eat at places that don't give me the feeling that a full-body condom is necessary to prevent a dreaded disease.

Good luck with anyone at BK giving a damn!
--
Zach

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to DC DSL

The manager was obviously incompetent, in that she allowed the situation to exist in the first place and did not take ownership of or attempt to correct the multitude of problems. The kitchen staff was completely disorganized (they produced zero food items for a good 5 minute period, while numerous people were waiting), and the order taker had to yell at them to start making the items for which they had outstanding orders. ("Just keep making chicken sandwiches until I tell you to stop!") I felt sorry for the order taker, who seemed to be the only competent person in the entire place. I would have promoted her to manager.

Koil, this is the Rants forum. So I posted a rant, OK? I sent the comments to BK not to get coupons or other compensation, but to hopefully get them to fix the problems. I posted here so the Google-using world will see how bad that one particular store is and avoid it. (I should learn how to use Twitter for this purpose.)

Burger King's sole purpose in life is to allow the Wall Street types to bleed it dry, over and over again: »www.nytimes.com/2012/06/23/opini···cow.html

And, finally, jjoshua: »www.urbandictionary.com/define.p···unedible

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to aannoonn

HEY GUYZ WATER ON THE GROUND IS A SAFETY HAZARD!

No it's not, it's called fucking water. We live on Planet Earth, where--at times--water evaporates, condenses, and falls to the ground in the form of rain. That doesn't make precipitation a safety hazard.

Also please be aware that there is a heat wave covering the east coast. Over a million people in VA don't have power. Be grateful it wasn't hotter than it was.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to aannoonn

said by aannoonn :

The manager was obviously incompetent, in that she allowed the situation to exist in the first place and did not take ownership of or attempt to correct the multitude of problems. The kitchen staff was completely disorganized (they produced zero food items for a good 5 minute period, while numerous people were waiting), and the order taker had to yell at them to start making the items for which they had outstanding orders. ("Just keep making chicken sandwiches until I tell you to stop!") I felt sorry for the order taker, who seemed to be the only competent person in the entire place. I would have promoted her to manager.

Unless you 1) SPOKE with the manager about your experience, and 2) Tell BK about what the manager's response was, you are just blowing hot air on the Internet. Period.

And just because something is in the Urban Dictionary DOES NOT make it an acceptable part of speech. In spite of what many think, Internet Speak is not universal and does not carry much, if any, weight in the corporate world.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

towerdave

join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL
reply to aannoonn

said by aannoonn :

I went to the Burger King at 2271 South Main Street in Harrisonburg, VA, last Friday night. It was horrible. Following are the comments I sent via bk.com:

"This was absolutely the worst BK I've ever been to. It took 21 minutes (I timed it) to get our food.

21 minutes to get your food? There is one in Orlando where I recently waited almost that long just to ORDER my food, and then waited another 20 minutes to get it.

They had 4 people working including the manager, during lunch rush. One on drive-thru, one at the counter, one cooking, and the manager. They would take an order at the counter, then the order taker would go to the back to help cook it and bag it up. Then come back to do another order or two.

We did get our food correct after a few trips back to the counter to get what they forgot, and it was good, but took FOREVER.

TD

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to aannoonn

said by aannoonn :

Worst Burger King in the world

You've eaten at every BK in the world in order to make such a comparison ?

A disorganized kitchen, water on the floor, overflowing trash cans, high temperature are all things you can observe BEFORE ordering, yet you still chose to do so. Since you gave the address, I checked to see if it was the only source of food in miles.... It's not. There's a Subway, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Jimmy Johns, etc

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

HEY GUYZ WATER ON THE GROUND IS A SAFETY HAZARD!

No it's not, it's called fucking water.

It is a "safety hazard" to the right person. Some see it as an invitation to "slip" and hurt themselves. Sadly, for that reason alone, it's stupid and unacceptable for any business to provide such an opportunity.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Maybe it had to do with the fact that the power was out and ice was melting? Whatever, the OP thinks he deserves a five-star treatment in the midst of a natural disaster at a fast food chain.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

They have to have power to operate - so the BK HAD power. No where does it say the BK had no power. And being in an area pounded by 2 storms with over 155K people without power. No power to a restaurant means no open restaurant.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to aannoonn

said by aannoonn :

"This was absolutely the worst BK I've ever been to. It took 21 minutes (I timed it) to get our food. The chicken sandwich was unedible. The kitchen was entirely disorganized. There was water on the floor, creating a SAFETY HAZARD. The garbage cans were overflowing. It was very hot inside (at least 85). The fountain drink selection was poor, offering only carbonated drinks. The entire experience was AWFUL. We threw away most of the food. How can you justify treating your customers so badly?"

By all means, avoid the Burger King at 2271 South Main Street in Harrisonburg, Virginia.

While I do not agree with the conditions you were met with, I do have one question.

Was this the day after after all the BAD storms pushed through Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia where thousands of people were without power, trees were down and pretty much everyone flocked to restaurants to get food which overwhelmed them all??

If so, then I would cut them some slack on everything with the exception on the enedible food. Of course, enedible food is also relative to those that are eating it. One that only eats in a five star restaurant were certainly call something anything less, enedible.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

No power to a restaurant means no open restaurant.

Maybe for BK but not for all places. Waffle House has procedures in place to continue to operate even without power. They have a special menu for it even. If a Waffle House closes for a reason other than normally scheduled closing then you know you're fucked and should get out of the area. I even read an article once, I think it was on CNN, about how a high ranking official with FEMA unofficially judges what areas hit by a disaster are worse off depending on what menu is in effect at the closest Waffle House.

Edit: It was in the WSJ: »online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142···364.html

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

They have to have power to operate - so the BK HAD power. No where does it say the BK had no power. And being in an area pounded by 2 storms with over 155K people without power. No power to a restaurant means no open restaurant.

Maybe they recently got it back? Maybe it was so fucking hot outside the AC was condensing. Maybe the floor was just mopped and the OP took offense to that.

Who knows.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

said by CylonRed:

No power to a restaurant means no open restaurant.

Maybe for BK but not for all places. Waffle House has procedures in place to continue to operate even without power. They have a special menu for it even. If a Waffle House closes for a reason other than normally scheduled closing then you know you're fucked and should get out of the area. I even read an article once, I think it was on CNN, about how a high ranking official with FEMA unofficially judges what areas hit by a disaster are worse off depending on what menu is in effect at the closest Waffle House.

Edit: It was in the WSJ: »online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142···364.html

ANd if the generator was not working = no restaurant opening. The comment is still valid. No electricity means no opening. Does not matter where the electric comes from - they have to have it to run.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

djlar

join:2009-04-23
reply to aannoonn

I'm also still baffled and why you proceeded to order anything after watching all the mess, I would have walked away at the first glance..

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

Maybe for BK but not for all places. Waffle House has procedures in place to continue to operate even without power. They have a special menu for it even.

The WSJ is trying to load slowly as I type this, but I thought there were health (department) regulations about food establishments operating -- or not operating -- when they have no electricity. Probably applies to no hot water as well (for sanitizing purposes).

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

I would guess every jurisdiction has its own rules and enforcement.

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to aannoonn

At least he named the establishment. I've never understood why people come on and complain about "a major fast food establishment" - if somebody did something bad then name names.
--
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
kudos:1
reply to aannoonn

1.04 chicken sandwiches really caused some chaos around that place :P

aannoonn

@optonline.net

This was before the thunderstorms. Environmental and utility conditions were normal.

There was a significant amount of water on the floor in the ordering line. I don't know what the source was. I didn't see it and slipped, but caught myself before falling, thankfully.

Yeah, the $1.04 chicken sandwich was a popular order, but the kitchen wasn't bothering to make them !! until the order taker yelled at them (the kitchen employees, not the sandwiches).

Regarding the OT, repeat, OT comment on the minimum wage, people earning less money will result in them spending less, which is NOT "what we need in America to get back on track".

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by aannoonn :

Regarding the OT, repeat, OT comment on the minimum wage, people earning less money will result in them spending less, which is NOT "what we need in America to get back on track".

And paying decent wages cuts down on employee turnover.

Cutting down on employee turnover is good for the company, too.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
reply to DC DSL

said by DC DSL:

Waiting until after you have left and telling corporate that the food sucked is pointless. While they might send you some coupons, that is not the most effective means for effecting improvement by the establishment.

I disagree. I've complained about a couple of fast food places, and they followed up with the local managers. The manager at that location cares only about his own location. Corporate needs to maintain the Burger King image as a whole and will come down harder. And I was able to do it online on my own time instead of having to deal with it immediately.

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to DC DSL

said by DC DSL:

Unless you 1) SPOKE with the manager about your experience, and 2) Tell BK about what the manager's response was, you are just blowing hot air on the Internet. Period.

The manager knew about most of these problems. The manager knew people were waiting far too long. The manager knew the trash was overflowing. The manager knew the kitchen wasn't fulfilling orders. The manager knew about the safety hazard with the water on the floor.

The manager didn't need to me to tell her any of this. You think the response would be, "Yes, sir! I'll take care of all of these right away!"?? Of course not. Me complaining to the manager would have changed nothing.

And I guess you missed my after the Urban Dictionary reference.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to ctggzg

said by ctggzg:

I disagree. I've complained about a couple of fast food places, and they followed up with the local managers. The manager at that location cares only about his own location. Corporate needs to maintain the Burger King image as a whole and will come down harder. And I was able to do it online on my own time instead of having to deal with it immediately.

Incorrect. The quicker you act, the greater your credibility and the better the chances of satisfaction and effective remediation. That is the same standard across every industry, not just fast food.
--

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to aannoonn

said by aannoonn :

The manager didn't need to me to tell her any of this. You think the response would be, "Yes, sir! I'll take care of all of these right away!"?? Of course not. Me complaining to the manager would have changed nothing.

It doesn't matter what you *think* the manager should have known. You bringing it to his/her attention and not getting satisfaction makes it an even more serious matter that corporate will most definitely follow up and come down hard on manager and/or franchisee.

When we would visit my late mother-in-law at the veterans home, sometimes we would stop at the McDonald's by there. For the longest time, one of the self-service drink machines did not have ice, no matter what time of day it was. This was particularly annoying if it was lunchtime and there was a mob scene for the other one that was working. After having mentioned this to someone at the counter several times, I finally asked the manager what the problem was. He said it was the first he'd heard of it and would get it fixed. Next visit a few weeks later, same thing. I asked him about it and he had no idea what I was talking about. Then, on top of that, I discovered the chicken sandwiches we had ordered were ice cold...as in they hadn't been cooked at all. I went back to the guy and complained about that. He said "Sorry but you can see we are really busy right now...If you want to wait 30 minutes I'll give you hot ones or you can have something else or your money back." I opted for my money back. I then reported that to corporate. Stopped in a few weeks later just to see if anything was different. A different guy's name was up on the management board, all new people there, and while it was as busy as always, it was running smoothly and they had replaced the broken beverage machine as well. I also received letters in the mail from both corporate and the franchise operator apologizing profusely for what had happened and accompanied by 10 "your order is free" vouchers. We haven't been there since m-i-l passed away but at least as of late last summer, they hadn't regressed.

The upshot is if people don't speak up quickly, problems will drag on. And, having a manager who acts like there's not much to be done about a problem and customers have to live with it is something that an image-conscious company needs to hear about right away.

Mickey D's, BK and Wendy's routinely review the video of stores where there are problems being reported; secret shoppers are also dispatched in some cases. They can quickly see for themselves what's going on and figure out the cause. Heads do roll, and franchisees who consistently/repeatedly rack up a lot of complaints do get terminated per the terms of their agreements.
--

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to PX Eliezer7

Sorry for veering OT, but..

said by PX Eliezer7:

said by aannoonn :

And paying decent wages cuts down on employee turnover.

Cutting down on employee turnover is good for the company, too.

So we could solve all problems by making the minimum wage $100/hour?

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by kontos:

So we could solve all problems by making the minimum wage $100/hour?

No, there is a happy medium for everything.

Why would you think that it has to be one extreme or the other?