alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to aannoonn

Re: [Rant] Worst Burger King in the world

At least he named the establishment. I've never understood why people come on and complain about "a major fast food establishment" - if somebody did something bad then name names.
--
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
kudos:1
reply to aannoonn

1.04 chicken sandwiches really caused some chaos around that place :P

aannoonn

@optonline.net

This was before the thunderstorms. Environmental and utility conditions were normal.

There was a significant amount of water on the floor in the ordering line. I don't know what the source was. I didn't see it and slipped, but caught myself before falling, thankfully.

Yeah, the $1.04 chicken sandwich was a popular order, but the kitchen wasn't bothering to make them !! until the order taker yelled at them (the kitchen employees, not the sandwiches).

Regarding the OT, repeat, OT comment on the minimum wage, people earning less money will result in them spending less, which is NOT "what we need in America to get back on track".

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by aannoonn :

Regarding the OT, repeat, OT comment on the minimum wage, people earning less money will result in them spending less, which is NOT "what we need in America to get back on track".

And paying decent wages cuts down on employee turnover.

Cutting down on employee turnover is good for the company, too.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to DC DSL

said by DC DSL:

Waiting until after you have left and telling corporate that the food sucked is pointless. While they might send you some coupons, that is not the most effective means for effecting improvement by the establishment.

I disagree. I've complained about a couple of fast food places, and they followed up with the local managers. The manager at that location cares only about his own location. Corporate needs to maintain the Burger King image as a whole and will come down harder. And I was able to do it online on my own time instead of having to deal with it immediately.

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to DC DSL

said by DC DSL:

Unless you 1) SPOKE with the manager about your experience, and 2) Tell BK about what the manager's response was, you are just blowing hot air on the Internet. Period.

The manager knew about most of these problems. The manager knew people were waiting far too long. The manager knew the trash was overflowing. The manager knew the kitchen wasn't fulfilling orders. The manager knew about the safety hazard with the water on the floor.

The manager didn't need to me to tell her any of this. You think the response would be, "Yes, sir! I'll take care of all of these right away!"?? Of course not. Me complaining to the manager would have changed nothing.

And I guess you missed my after the Urban Dictionary reference.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
reply to ctggzg

said by ctggzg:

I disagree. I've complained about a couple of fast food places, and they followed up with the local managers. The manager at that location cares only about his own location. Corporate needs to maintain the Burger King image as a whole and will come down harder. And I was able to do it online on my own time instead of having to deal with it immediately.

Incorrect. The quicker you act, the greater your credibility and the better the chances of satisfaction and effective remediation. That is the same standard across every industry, not just fast food.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to aannoonn

said by aannoonn :

The manager didn't need to me to tell her any of this. You think the response would be, "Yes, sir! I'll take care of all of these right away!"?? Of course not. Me complaining to the manager would have changed nothing.

It doesn't matter what you *think* the manager should have known. You bringing it to his/her attention and not getting satisfaction makes it an even more serious matter that corporate will most definitely follow up and come down hard on manager and/or franchisee.

When we would visit my late mother-in-law at the veterans home, sometimes we would stop at the McDonald's by there. For the longest time, one of the self-service drink machines did not have ice, no matter what time of day it was. This was particularly annoying if it was lunchtime and there was a mob scene for the other one that was working. After having mentioned this to someone at the counter several times, I finally asked the manager what the problem was. He said it was the first he'd heard of it and would get it fixed. Next visit a few weeks later, same thing. I asked him about it and he had no idea what I was talking about. Then, on top of that, I discovered the chicken sandwiches we had ordered were ice cold...as in they hadn't been cooked at all. I went back to the guy and complained about that. He said "Sorry but you can see we are really busy right now...If you want to wait 30 minutes I'll give you hot ones or you can have something else or your money back." I opted for my money back. I then reported that to corporate. Stopped in a few weeks later just to see if anything was different. A different guy's name was up on the management board, all new people there, and while it was as busy as always, it was running smoothly and they had replaced the broken beverage machine as well. I also received letters in the mail from both corporate and the franchise operator apologizing profusely for what had happened and accompanied by 10 "your order is free" vouchers. We haven't been there since m-i-l passed away but at least as of late last summer, they hadn't regressed.

The upshot is if people don't speak up quickly, problems will drag on. And, having a manager who acts like there's not much to be done about a problem and customers have to live with it is something that an image-conscious company needs to hear about right away.

Mickey D's, BK and Wendy's routinely review the video of stores where there are problems being reported; secret shoppers are also dispatched in some cases. They can quickly see for themselves what's going on and figure out the cause. Heads do roll, and franchisees who consistently/repeatedly rack up a lot of complaints do get terminated per the terms of their agreements.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to PX Eliezer7

Sorry for veering OT, but..

said by PX Eliezer7:

said by aannoonn :

And paying decent wages cuts down on employee turnover.

Cutting down on employee turnover is good for the company, too.

So we could solve all problems by making the minimum wage $100/hour?

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by kontos:

No, there is a happy medium for everything.

Why would you think that it has to be one extreme or the other?

kontos
xyzzy

West Henrietta, NY

said by PX Eliezer7:

said by kontos:

No, there is a happy medium for everything.

Why would you think that it has to be one extreme or the other?

I can agree with that statement. So, what is the perfect minimum wage in your opinion.

If you asked me, I'd say that we've gone too high with the current wage. There are just some jobs that you are not supposed to be able to support yourself on.
In other words my response to "You can't raise a family by running a cash register at STORE-X." is "No kidding!"

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
reply to PX Eliezer7

A happy medium is balance, to have balance you have to have extremes on each end, no?

Fast food is not a skilled, or in high demand profession. Anyone can do it.

The less there is of something, the more valuable or worth it has. This is a truth of life here on our planet...If I could get paid the same as I do now to work at McD's, I'd sure as hell be there tomorrow.

I do agree that minimum wage should be in place (but also tied to Congress' salary, so when they get a raise, so does everyone else...they'd have to think a lot more about giving themselves a raise)
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to kontos

said by kontos:

I can agree with that statement. So, what is the perfect minimum wage in your opinion.

Here's one calculation I'd put in.

Unless a CEO actually created an idea or a device or a company, no CEO should be getting more than the total salaries of 500 workers (five hundred workers!) at the bottom.

I have no problem with Bill Gates or the Google guys or even the Facebook creator(s) making shitloads of money.

But the guy who is the current CEO of McDonalds just fell into a lucky break, like finding a magic lamp. He did NOT create the hamburger or even the sesame seed bun.

So:

According to Forbes, that CEO made 20,710,000 last year.

Divide that by 500 workers (we're STILL paying the CEO the total of 500 other guys!!) and that's 41,420 per worker.

Divide that by 2,000 hours worked per year, that's 20.71 per hour....

....and YES, I agree, that's TOO high.

BUT:

That means that McDonald's CEO is getting 10,355.00 PER HOUR (over ten thousand dollars an hour!) and THAT is obscene.

kontos
xyzzy

West Henrietta, NY

said by PX Eliezer7:

said by kontos:

Here's one calculation I'd put in.

{snip..CEO red herring argument}

How would taking money away from the CEO help the bottom pay workers?

aannoonn

@optonline.net

said by kontos:

How would taking money away from the CEO help the bottom pay workers?

How would taking money away from the bottom pay workers help the bottom pay workers?

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to DC DSL

said by DC DSL:

After having mentioned this to someone at the counter several times, I finally asked the manager what the problem was. He said it was the first he'd heard of it and would get it fixed. Next visit a few weeks later, same thing. I asked him about it and he had no idea what I was talking about.

Thank you for reaffirming my suspicion that talking to the manager (and inviting confrontation) would have been a complete waste of my time.

kontos
xyzzy

West Henrietta, NY
reply to aannoonn

In some combination:
* It would allow places that use unskilled labor to sell their wares for a lower price and remain profitable.
* It would allow places to hire a larger number of low-skill workers allowing them to gain experience and employment history.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to aannoonn

(topic move) [Rant] Worst Burger King in the world

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 17 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »not on topic

Hotch

join:2012-06-12
reply to aannoonn

Re: [Rant] Worst Burger King in the world

BK strives for consistency. Their food is lousy, (they take the microwave to new heights), so they try to match that with lousy service.

Sorry for your experience.

blemens

join:2012-07-08
El Cerrito, CA

1 recommendation

reply to aannoonn

These days, by far the best way to get a company's attention, have your experience noted by a large number of people, and most importantly get satisfaction when you have been badly treated by a business is to use social networking sites.

My friends, associates, and I use Twitter with appropriate hashtags to great effect. When you complain about a lousy experience at a major car rental firm or an airline or ISP (this is especially true for tech companies) or any large corporation, you will often get a quick reply from someone whose job it is to monitor Twitter for complaints. If the problem is remediable, they will often take charge of the situation and fix it for you. They may ask to DM (direct message) you so you can talk privately and swap email addresses or phone numbers. They frequently have the authority to get you on a flight you otherwise couldn't get on or credit your account in a billing dispute when the billing department is giving you a hard time.

In the Burger King case, a common resolution would be for them to send you some coupons for free meals at Macdonalds. J/K at BK of course.

People don't address the company in their tweets, but the company sees them. You might tweet something like this:

Just had "lunch" at a disgustingly maintained #BurgerKing in #Harrisburg, VA. Found conditions unsanitary and unsafe. #BoycottBurgerKing

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

reply to aannoonn

said by aannoonn :

Thank you for reaffirming my suspicion that talking to the manager (and inviting confrontation) would have been a complete waste of my time.

No, you are deliberately being obtuse. The impression I got from taking it up the food chain is that no one else had bothered to do so and follow up long before I did. Doing things in a proper sequence gets results sooner rather than later. Obviously you are more interested in bellyaching on the Internet than actually making a company do a better job. Attitudes like yours are why customer service in general sucks so bad: People don't tell companies they suck to their faces.
--

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to aannoonn

So, it has been a week. Any word back from their mother ship?

aannoonn

@optonline.net

said by DC DSL:

So, it has been a week. Any word back from their mother ship?

Two weeks now. Haven't heard anything back.