spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mclasser

join:2011-12-12

[VA] Upload speeds gone down since the big storm

Has this happened to anyone else in the DC metro area too? Before the storm, I would get in the neighborhood of 4 Mbps UL; according to all the local speedtest.net servers I'm now getting around 2.5 Mbps tops. Oddly, download speeds haven't been affected. Maybe the storm affected Cox's services and their working on a fix? Also, I've done the whole modem and router resets, to no avail.

Shadowdane

join:2000-11-02
Fairfax, VA
Yah slower here too, seems Speedboost got turned off??

Before the storm:

After the storm:

Also tested a regular download site and it caps right at 30Mbps for the entire download, no speed boost at all.

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV
looks like you had upstream bonded channels and now you do not

Shadowdane

join:2000-11-02
Fairfax, VA
No i still have 4 Down / 4 Upstream, just no power boost.

sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
Be glad you have some type of internet.. From the pictures I've been seeing, internet access is the least of some people's worry.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Shadowdane
said by Shadowdane:

Yah slower here too, seems Speedboost got turned off??

Before the storm:
[att=1]

After the storm:
[att=2]

Also tested a regular download site and it caps right at 30Mbps for the entire download, no speed boost at all.

looks like they used the storm as a shroud to cap dl and shut off ul pb and blame it on the storm.

fwiw: our ds pb has been capped at 28 for a while now.

jsimmons
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-24
Falls Church, VA

4 edits
reply to mclasser
Click for full size
Yes... Its terrible today.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2043162571.png

It does appear that speedboost is not on.. at least I don't see evidence of increased BW at start of Speedtest to any test site.

I'm seeing a higher than normal amount of packet loss on my connection too. But Signal levels both up and down are perfect with 4 bonded channels in each direction.

UPDATE - A modem reboot seems to have cleared up the Packet Loss issue.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
looks like the storm took out so much bandwidth that powerboost can't run they did't turn it off I'm I Cleveland Ohio and I have powerboost »www.speedtest.net/result/2051243934.png

Shrapnel64
Premium
join:2001-01-24
VA, USA
kudos:1
reply to mclasser
I find that Speedtest.net tests a lot of times are inaccruate (as do many others). These are 3 tests to the same Speedtest.net server within a 5 minute window.

Test 1:

Test 2:

Test 3:

Running a different site (a lot of people recommend this one as an Alternative):

Test 1:

Test 2:

Test 3:

I think a lot of the Speedtests are a best guess or at least a baseline. Since PowerBoost was introduced, results are usually all over the place (obviously because the more bandwidth available, the more it can use).

mclasser

join:2011-12-12
The testmy.net speedtest shows my speeds being nearly 50% less than what speedtest.net says. Weird.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
said by mclasser:

The testmy.net speedtest shows my speeds being nearly 50% less than what speedtest.net says. Weird.

testmy has never been good for me either. probably capacity issues on their end.

sniperboyz

join:2009-10-30
Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to mclasser
Wow. I haven't noticed that while I was at FL and having problem with FTP. I knew it was down during storms. Everythings working fine right now. By the way, the upload almost reach 40 mbps when we got 4 bonding channels that day.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to dvd536
said by dvd536:

said by mclasser:

testmy has never been good for me either. probably capacity issues on their end.

Their test has a huge issue with upload testing. Their download tests are pretty spot on (for the most part) but upload suffers on slow machines or connections that take a second or two to get up to speed.