uniqs

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to wizziwig

MVM,

to wizziwig

Re: [TIVO] Here comes the copy protection bit (letter)

FiOS DVRs have the same restrictions, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about. You have plenty of choices if you want to view recorded premium channels on other TVs (TiVo Series4 and WMC Extenders, to name two)

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

icemannyr1

All the Turner cable channels already are set to Copy Once so it's not surprising they are doing the same to the TimeWarer HBO and Cinemax channels.

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine

said by icemannyr1:

All the Turner cable channels already are set to Copy Once

Uh, no they aren't.

rantanamo
@verizon.net

rantanamo to Thinkdiff

Anon

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

FiOS DVRs have the same restrictions, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about. You have plenty of choices if you want to view recorded premium channels on other TVs (TiVo Series4 and WMC Extenders, to name two)

Streaming to extenders = keep content in the home. I'm sure the mobile streaming stuff will end up cut off because of this. People always say, what's wrong with this country. I say, innovation seizing activity like this is clue number 1. All of this would be naught if the gov would keep data out of the hands of video providers. They are killing potential revenues just because of their need to control what's coming down the pipe, even after it has already arrived at its destination.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Slingbox (or the other alternatives) will still work.

HBO's concern is that you can now make exact, 1:1 digital copies of their content. On FiOS, the signal (presumably) isn't even recompressed. I tend to agree with them in protecting their content. Unfortunately, the only thing setting the CCI byte does is annoy a few normal users. The pirates will always find a way around it.
09129800 (banned)
join:2012-06-27
New York, NY

09129800 (banned)

HBO appears to be grossly overestimating just how much pirates care about quality.

99% of pirates will grab the shitty 720p scene re-encode with a bitrate of 3 Mbps over the full 12 Mbps 1080i MPEG-2 transport stream.

Why they will grab these terrible quality x264 versions is a combination of bandwidth caps, impatience, and ignorance.

But the point is, HBO is not going to convince any pirate to start ponying up the cash for cable and their channel just because they can no longer grab the 1080i MPEG-2 transport stream. Very few pirates are grabbing that version anyway. This will not stop the scene's 720p x264 versions of every HBO show getting released promptly, as I have no doubt that the scene has probably cracked CableCARD tuners in private to trick the tuner into thinking the signals it is receiving has the copy flag set to copy freely. Either that or they'll just do a x264 re-encode from component or HDMI capture, it really doesn't matter. A way around will be found.

So HBO is just annoying their legitimate subscribers who use CableCARD products with this move.
Expand your moderator at work

icemannyr1

icemannyr1 to wmcbrine

to wmcbrine

Re: [TIVO] Here comes the copy protection bit (letter)

said by wmcbrine:

said by icemannyr1:

All the Turner cable channels already are set to Copy Once

Uh, no they aren't.

Which Turner HD channel are not?
On VHO7 CNN, TBS and TNT are 0x02 - Copy Once.

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine

said by icemannyr1:

None of them are, here.

Are you checking on a TiVo?

icemannyr1

icemannyr1

said by wmcbrine:

said by icemannyr1:

None of them are, here.

I'm checking on the channels on the FiOS STB Menu and CCI for those channels is 0x02 on VHO7.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by icemannyr1:

said by wmcbrine:

said by icemannyr1:

None of them are, here.

I'm checking on the channels on the FiOS STB Menu and CCI for those channels is 0x02 on VHO7.

I thought someone had mentioned in another thread that there is a difference between what the TiVo shows and what the FiOS STB shows.

But can you even transfer content from the FiOS STB like you can with TiVos? If not then it really doesn't matter.

icemannyr1

icemannyr1

You can't transfer the FiOS DVR recordings as files.
If the recording is from a channel set to copy freely you can play back and record it on your computer via firewire.

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by icemannyr1:

You can't transfer the FiOS DVR recordings as files.
If the recording is from a channel set to copy freely you can play back and record it on your computer via firewire.

Firewire? That brings back some memories. I haven't used that with transferring content in over half a dozen years at least.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by aaronwt:

Firewire? That brings back some memories. I haven't used that with transferring content in over half a dozen years at least.

I use it here in VHO7 to archive important recordings but seems most of the good channels are migrating to Copy-once which will make it useless soon.
bohratom

bohratom to aaronwt

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

I thought someone had mentioned in another thread that there is a difference between what the TiVo shows and what the FiOS STB shows.

That is correct, many channels which my FIOS stb shows as copy-once are copy-freely when viewed with a cablecard device.
DGGSLF
join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF

Well, I spent another hour with Tech support on Tuesday, trying to make both my TVs pair with the new CableCARD they sent me.

The Tech's final comment was: "I don't think you'll have a problem on July 31st, since you're now getting all of your subscribed channels". My feedback was that the letter said if I can not tune channel 131, then I have a problem. He disagreed and said all of the techs he has talked to in his office also disagreed with my interpretation.

I also mentioned the potential for a simulcrypt issue in my VHO 6 but he thought that was a non issue (though I'm not sure he knew what simulcrypt was). I guess at this point and after three calls to tech support and being sent new CableCARDS, all I can do now is wait till the end of the month and see what happens. :-(

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by DGGSLF:

Well, I spent another hour with Tech support on Tuesday, trying to make both my TVs pair with the new CableCARD they sent me.

The Tech's final comment was: "I don't think you'll have a problem on July 31st, since you're now getting all of your subscribed channels". My feedback was that the letter said if I can not tune channel 131, then I have a problem. He disagreed and said all of the techs he has talked to in his office also disagreed with my interpretation.

How could they interpret it another way?
brutus
join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL

brutus

said by aaronwt:

said by DGGSLF:

How could they interpret it another way?

Because it will probably work like it has in the past where you just can't tune channels that are copy once or at least they are assuming this to be the case. This is how I always found when a new channel was flagged as copy once. It wouldn't show up on some TiVos, but did on the one that was paired.
DGGSLF
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to aaronwt

to aaronwt
It's Verizon. Do I need to say more?

They send out a letter to the subscribers and don't even give the techs a heads up or train them on how to resolve potential issues. All he was doing was disabling and re-enabling...multiple times, this was after he asked me to read the letter aloud to him!
Grover8
join:2012-01-06
Fresh Meadows, NY

Grover8

Hm.. it seems you have antiquated television sets where you actually stick cablecards into them. I never seen one before only heard about them. So you can't view anything on your tv other than the cablecard id, host id, etc and verizon's number?

I'm not sure if verizon even activated my cablecards. I'll have to see on the 31st.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by Grover8:

I'm not sure if verizon even activated my cablecards. I'll have to see on the 31st.

You can see today if they're activated. Are you getting any content? They're activated.

You'll get to see on the 31st if they are paired to the device.
DGGSLF
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to Grover8

to Grover8
I wouldn't call them antiquated. Old yes, antiquated, no!

They are in very good condition and show very good picture. One is a Sony Bravia XBR1 and the other is a Sharp Aquos.

They were both top of the heap when I bought them in 2005 and 2004 respectively and I currently get every channel VZ provides on the Ultimate package, plus HBO, Cinemax, Movies and Sports. And there lies my problem.

The letter indicates I will loose some or all of these channels after July 31st if the CableCARDs and not paired with the TVs but VZ can not seem to make them pair successfully.

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by DGGSLF:

I wouldn't call them antiquated. Old yes, antiquated, no!

They are in very good condition and show very good picture. One is a Sony Bravia XBR1 and the other is a Sharp Aquos.

They were both top of the heap when I bought them in 2005 and 2004 respectively and I currently get every channel VZ provides on the Ultimate package, plus HBO, Cinemax, Movies and Sports. And there lies my problem.

The letter indicates I will loose some or all of these channels after July 31st if the CableCARDs and not paired with the TVs but VZ can not seem to make them pair successfully.

isn't that because of Simulcrypt? The older devices needed an update to work with Simulcrypt. But most of them aren't supported anymore and never had an update to support Simulcrypt. Newer devices have been updated to support Simulcrypt. But TVs don't have cable card slots anymore. I remember the 1080P samsung DLP set I got in 2005 had a cable card slot. I never used it though since I used TiVos and didn't want to watch TV in real time. I wish i could have the money back from that TV now. It's amazing what size HDTV you can get for $4k now. I spent way too much on the TV back then and swore I would never spend anywhere near that much on a TV ever again.