Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy

Re: Can you trust Cloud for Security and Redundancy

None my quotes snowy..all are un-cited responses to the article.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by Name Game:

Here's how I saw it.
You started the thread with this question.
"Can you trust Cloud for Security and Redundancy"
After not receiving any post replies that were damning enough about the clouds security & redundancy you post
"A few comments found on the net about this incident...
which happen to be one sided, selected quotes all of which slam the cloud.
That looks like an agenda to me.
If you're anti-cloud, that's fine by me, just don't try to astroturf it.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

said by Snowy:

said by Name Game:

Here's how I saw it.
You started the thread with this question.
"Can you trust Cloud for Security and Redundancy"
After not receiving any post replies that were damning enough about the clouds security & redundancy you post
"A few comments found on the net about this incident...
which happen to be one sided, selected quotes all of which slam the cloud.
That looks like an agenda to me.
If you're anti-cloud, that's fine by me, just don't try to astroturf it.

They are all found here..
»www.forbes.com/sites/ant ··· th-it/2/

Did not find a single comment pro-cloud..as for me..I do not think it is ready for prime time...did not expect you to start commenting on each one..The three little pigs did leave some questions...properly planned structure are fine..while the big bad wolf blew till he was red in the face..a few weasels dug a hole under the super structure and controlled all the action.

»news.cnet.com/8301-1009_ ··· -83.html

Not many paid attention to the Kneber bot net or even knew about it.
»vmblog.com/archive/2010/ ··· lam.aspx

Are you pro-cloud ?

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
Kailua, HI

1 recommendation

Snowy

Premium Member

said by Name Game:

Are you pro-cloud ?

With regards to a service such as netflix (the major issue cited in this thread) I'm not sure how they'd do it without the cloud so yeah, in that respect I'm pro cloud because I'm pro netflix.
Am I blindly pro cloud?
I'm not blindly pro anything.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Understand..well I was really interested in the Title of the thread..Security and redundancy for cloud which everyone seems to be preaching these days.

Back in 2011..when Dublin when out..Amazon painfully got back the cloud in ways that almost parallel what Justin and crew had to go through to get DSLR back up..and at that time they claimed redundancy was going to be the byword.

Amazon promises to improve cloud computing redundancy after Dublin outage
Problem may been with utility provider rather than a lightning strike
16 August 2011
Amazon Web Services (AWS) will work to improve power redundancy, load balancing and the way it communicates when something goes wrong with its cloud, following the outage that affected its Dublin data centre.

A post mortem delved deeper into what caused the outage, which affected the availability of Amazon's EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud), EBS (Elastic Block Store), the RDS database and Amazon's network. The service disruption began Aug. 7, at 10:41 a.m., when Amazon's utility provider suffered a transformer failure.

Related Articles

Amazon says poorly executed, planned upgrade caused massive cloud outage
A warning to us all... >>
Amazon investigates after cloud nightmare
Cloud service largely back up after major outage >>
How to reduce the risk of cloud service failure
Cloud computing and seven tips on how to enhance its reliability >>

At first, a lightning strike was blamed, but the provider now believes it actually wasn't the cause, and is continuing to investigate, according to Amazon.

The service that caused Amazon the biggest problem was EBS, which is used to store data for EC2 instances. The service replicates volume data across a set of nodes for durability and availability. Following the outage the nodes started talking to each other to replicate changes. Amazon has spare capacity to allow for this, but the sheer amount of traffic proved too much this time.

When all nodes related to one volume lost power, Amazon in some cases had to re-create the data by putting together a recovery snapshot. The process of producing these snapshots was time-consuming, because Amazon had to move all of the data to Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3), process it, turn it into the snapshot storage format and then make the data accessible from a user's account.

By 8:25 p.m. PDT on Aug. 10, 98 percent of the recovery snapshots had been delivered, with the remaining few requiring manual attention, Amazon said.

For EBS, Amazon's goal will be to drastically reduce the recovery time after a significant outage. It will, for example, create the capability to recover volumes directly on the EBS servers upon restoration of power, without having to move the data elsewhere.

»www.computerworlduk.com/ ··· -outage/

And after Redundancy you must have a Seamless Transition.

»www.slideshare.net/Conso ··· recovery

»www.telecomassociation.c ··· 0309.htm

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
Kailua, HI

1 recommendation

Snowy

Premium Member

said by Name Game:

Understand..well I was really interested in the Title of the thread..Security and redundancy for cloud which everyone seems to be preaching these days.

KAILUA, HI (S1N) NEWS FLASH
The panacea for delivering content hasn't been developed yet.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
said by Name Game:

A post mortem delved deeper into what caused the outage, which affected the availability of Amazon's EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud), EBS (Elastic Block Store), the RDS database and Amazon's network. The service disruption began Aug. 7, at 10:41 a.m., when Amazon's utility provider suffered a transformer failure.

There's your problem, right there...too much elastic. Prolly got old and wore out.

wxboss
This is like Deja vu all over again.
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

wxboss

Premium Member

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· -MZ2HRHQ

And it just bites my a** that it happened on a Friday night. However, as it has been mentioned previously in this thread, sh** happens and we just have to deal with it. If you're looking for perfection in the cloud, then your head is in the wrong place.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

1 recommendation

Oregonian

Premium Member

Love the Cool Hand Luke reference -- perfect.

I was getting ready to watch NetFlix when the outage happened -- had to switch to some recorded stuff on my DVR. No big deal. As you say, sh** happens.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to wxboss

Premium Member

to wxboss
Bites mine too..had to compromise by watching old Have Gun Will Travel reruns on Youtubbie. Wife watched Mash DVDS

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· N18jlugQ

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by Name Game:

Bites mine too..had to compromise by watching old Have Gun Will Travel reruns ...

Calling having to watch old Have Gun Will Travel's a compromise is over the top.
Retract or else!

PCTech
@comcast.net

PCTech

Anon

3 million without power - 13 killed
> »www.washingtonpost.com/p ··· ory.html
June 30, 2012

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit

1 recommendation

Name Game to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy
Ok..I relent.. don't slap leather....I prefer HGWT

»www.youtube.com/user/yer ··· s?view=1

Next week I will try McCloud.
Name Game

Name Game to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy
said by Snowy:

said by Name Game:

KAILUA, HI (S1N) NEWS FLASH
The panacea for delivering content hasn't been developed yet.

Tell that to Sony

»www.sacbee.com/2012/07/0 ··· -to.html
Name Game

2 edits

Name Game to PCTech

Premium Member

to PCTech
Now we have the whole government working in a Cloud from their own home..or maybe the beach ?

They call it Telework

Federal Government and Closings

Federal agencies did open with employees having the option for unscheduled leave or unscheduled telework. Some local governments also allowed liberal leave.

See all of the closings on WTOP's Closings and Delays page.

»www.wtop.com/?nid=667

»www.telework.gov/Tools_a ··· 0080.htm

Telework Act of 2010
»www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BI ··· 2enr.pdf

Berry hopes the new telework law President Obama signed will spur agencies to quickly appoint telework managing officers and create arrangements with employees allowing them to work from home.

Federal workers can take unscheduled leave, telework days, OPM says

»www.washingtonpost.com/b ··· log.html

So my question is..how can you telework when you have no power at your residence?