Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Stu Pidaso

join:2006-10-12
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

1 edit

Use router for wifi access/pass through/no DHCP.

Hopefully I can word this correctly to be easy to understand. I have a house where the modem and router are on the second floor. I have LAN ports throughout the house including the basement. My wifi signal is not the greatest in the basement though. I just got a Netgear N300 WNR2000 v2 router and was wondering if there is a way (and the best way to setup) to connect this to my LAN port in the basement and act as a wifi spot but "pass through" so the original router on the network is the only one handing out IP addresses.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
said by Stu Pidaso:

I just got a Netgear N300 WNR2000 v2 router and was wondering if there is a way (and the best way to setup) to connect this to my LAN port in the basement and act as a wifi spot but "pass through" so the original router on the network is the only one handing out IP addresses.

You just need to disable the WNR2000 dhcp server
If you also want easy access to the configuration pages of the WNR2000 you'll need to change it's ip address to a unique ip within the subnet of the original router

Stu Pidaso

Greenwood, IN
Disabled DHCP but lost internet connection. Connected LAN from original router to one of the LAN ports on the Netgear and got connection back while getting an IP assigned from original router. Should this be the way to connect it?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

1 recommendation

I forgot to mention to only use the lan ports on the netgear
Do not connect anything to the netgear internet port

Stu Pidaso

Greenwood, IN
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Got it all figured out!!