how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

szootman

join:2005-01-14
Milton, MA

Earthlink/Comcast

well I signed up today and they are sending Comcast Thursday and I will be up and running. I use to have Earthlink dial up many years ago and I was very happy with the service. I had AOL and it was like night and day. at the time i was always crashing and AOL was using my computer more than I was every damn time i went on they were doing AOL updates and I could not get decent service. it was horrible "AOL", and then I got Earthlink and never had that problem again and I was not getting bombarded with AOL's customer advertising like I was. AOL internet was a separate internet on its own and they did everything in their power to steer you towards they paid advertisers.
Earthlink told me I would be getting 6 megs download and when they switched me over to Comcast for the install appointment the person there told me I would be getting 12 download. I am really looking for ward to this new service.
I have Clear 4G now and it is absolutely the worst, it is on the same level as AOL dial up. that is of course when you can connect to it. the dial up might have been better !!!.
I am going out this week to buy a cable modem and I think I am going to get a new router also. I have an old Linksys wireless B and I remember I had issues with the antennas years ago. I had to buy high gain just to get it to give me a good signal 60 feet away.
I can not wait till it is in, we have two Roku boxes and when they don't work it stinks . not to mention 2 computer desk tops and a lap top. I should be good to go by the end of the week,!!!!

szootman

Milton, MA

Everything went well. the tech had to run a whole new drop from the pole because my line was so old. he did a neat job ,I helped him do the install. he hid the wire under the bottom facial and screwed it underneath. ordinarily they go through the corner of the house but they were not home next door to get into the cellar area in that corner ,so he ran it all the way over to my cellar. it came out nice and is very neat.
speed is fine right around the 12 or 13 megs and 3.5 on the uploads. at least now i will not get calls at work telling me that the network is down. well i hope I don't.LOL
and for six months it will be $10 a month cheaper. I invested $135 in equipment but that will eventually pay for itself. I imagine the rental would come out to about $10 a month with taxes and all. I had an old Linksys wireless B router and I just upgraded to the Cisco Linksys E1200 N router. that works much better,I remember I had signal problems with that router years ago and went out and bought the high gain antennas to help it a bit. this one has no external antennas and I get a good signal upstairs.

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1

Wait. What is the speed level that you ordered ? Comcast has a higher upload speed on a lower tier ? Earthlink reflects what Comcast offers in your area.
--
DirecTV is pretty neat. If you want a referral ask me.

szootman

Milton, MA

I was told by the operator/sales person at Earthlink that what they had available in my area was a 6meg line, after agreeing to take the service I was transferred to Comcast to make an appointment for the install. during that conversation the Comcast rep said I will be receiving a 12 meg line.
I have had Comcast in the past. I shut off the service in 2008 when I moved. I have noticed a difference with the new service and have just finished reading a lot of information on Comcast and speed problems going all the way back a few years. evidently with the onslaught of people deciding that netflix is a better alternative to the high costing cable and satellite companies, there has been a huge increase in bandwidth usage. enough where Comcast has taken measures to slow people down. I guess from what I have read that there is a lot going on with this subject and Comcast has made threats to level 3 servers outside of there network that they would take action.I can not repeat all the details out of memory but I guess there is something going on.
my speed is way slower at night and I even had the netflix stop to buffer once tonight. with a 12 meg line that should not happen. I guess it is a fact of life and me complaining will not do a bit of good. I just went through a whole big complaint thing with Clear wire. making calls every night. I know it is a fruitless effort and realize I have to live with it.

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1

I was curious about the upload speed. At any rate, you cannot rely on what Earthlink reps say about speed levels. They do not know. Earthlink's speed in every area it is offered via broadband will be exactly the same it is that the line provider offers in that area. In other words, my Earthlink speeds here in this area will be 10/1 or 20/2 because this is what Time Warner offers. The only difference is that Powerboost or Speedboost, whatever it is called, is not available on Earthlink. And most importantly, if you are not a Time Warner cable TV subscriber, Earthlink's monthly price is lower than Time Warner's stand alone internet service.
--
DirecTV is pretty neat. If you want a referral ask me.