how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wilddeej

join:2012-06-30
San Diego, CA

Do all ISPs use "up to" pricing models?

Where I live in Sandy Eggo has about one real choice for an ISP; Time Warner/RoadRunner. I just need Internet service, not all those TV/phone bundle scams (please, I can hook up a Vonage box myself!). Since I'm a cheap bastid, I also decided to go with the lowest level Internet package.

All of the packages they offer are "up to"; the one I settled with was "up to 10Mb download/1Mb upload". What's this "up to" crap? I mean, 300 baud fits in with a package that's "up to 10/1", right? This leaves absolutely nothing for the ISP to live up to - AT ALL. Even the higher-range packages are "up to", with no mention of an "at least" number.

Is this what everyone else is stuck with as well, or is this just a crappy trick pulled by a few select providers? Inquiring minds want to know (and activist fists want to see something changed about it)!

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

Re: Do all ISPs use "up to" pricing models?

The "up to" language generally distinguishes between consumer services where best effort is the rule and business services where some sort of SLA is in place.

In my experience with Cox and reading that of many, many others, you're likely to find your ISP willing to correct any issue that prevents you from reaching the advertised speed.

The exception is node crowding. If you're getting 10/1 consistently until peak times, most ISPs will drag their feet horribly before splitting the node to relieve congestion. DOCSIS 3 capable areas help with this. Get a DOCSIS 3 modem to take advantage of channel bonding which can mitigate the effect of clogged nodes.

Bloominite
Premium
join:2004-04-17
reply to wilddeej
I'm on TW's 10/1 package and usually get MORE download speed than they promise. My DL is typically in the 17-24 Mb range while the UL is consistently around .95-.98 Mb.

Here's a speedtest from a few minutes ago:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2041255605.png

Bloominite
Premium
join:2004-04-17
reply to wilddeej
Personally, I'd rather pay for a service that was advertised "up to" and was usually pretty close to advertised speeds than pay a higher (probably much higher) price that would cover the provider's increased costs that would be involved in assuring 100% attainment of those speeds 24/7.

If your inner activist really feels like The Man is ripping you off, you're always free to sign up for business class internet service that comes with speed and reliability assurances.

Waldothe3rd
Premium
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand
reply to wilddeej
If your speed is less that 90% of that which is advertised, most ISPs will find out why. I always had good luck with TW until it came to dealing with the dolts in Customer Service.