Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

Wow what timing

So this Friday I'm leaving for DC to visit my son. He lives in MD, and since I have never been to DC before I planned to do a lot of the touristy stuff. All this bad weather and associated power outages are making me worried!

In fact the town he lives in was one of the shots we saw last night on the News out here, with giant trees destroying cars and homes.

Are they really anticipating the power to be out all week? Is there a website to get status? Any word on the status of the monuments and museums?

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

The Smithsonian is open. The Folklife festival that they sponsor got hit hard and was closed Saturday but was back up and running on Sunday. It starts back up again Wednesday the 4th and runs through the following Sunday. When we went downtown last Saturday, there did not appear to be any problem with the museums or monuments.

They are currently recommending using Metro to commute into town and most of us here would tell you to do that anyway. Parking in town is atrocious except on Sunday.

Since you didn't mention which part of Maryland your son is in it is kind of hard to provide a more localized update. I would think that by next weekend you should not have any problems doing the tourist thing at all.

You can check some local stations to get more regional information
»www.wjla.com/
»www.wusa9.com/
»www.nbcwashington.com/

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
reply to Wily_One

I live in the downtown core and there are no power problems or storm-related traffic issues around here. Traffic is expected to be considerably lighter this week because of the holiday and people taking off. However, taking Metro is recommended and preferred, especially for traveling within the District. If you must drive in, find somewhere convenient to the subway and leave the car there (make sure you read and understand the posted traffic signs and do not run afoul of time limits or "No Parking" restrictions especially in the 7-9:30AM and 4-6:30PM windows).
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA

Thanks guys. He lives in Rockville, which is apparently one of the areas that got hit hard. And yes he mentioned taking the Metro into DC.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA

That is PEPCO territory for the electrical restoration work. To be fair, some of what is holding up much of the work in some areas is that so many trees need to be removed first. After that gets cleared up the power company can get in and start restoring power.

I hope he is doing okay, all things considered. No power is a minor inconvenience compared to a tree through your roof.

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
reply to Wily_One

BGE reported that one of their major feeder lines got torn up pretty good in the storm and they had to restore that before fixing a lot of downstream customers. According to their website this morning, they still have over 200,000 customers without power and they've restored 400,000. I can't speak for PEPCO but BGE busts their asses to get power restored. We've gone without power for several days in the past but that's been the anomaly opposed to the rule. I imagine PEPCO is the same way.

As for the damage, it's really weird. It's not like a general hit across the area. For instance, I lost a large limb off one of the trees in the front yard. Yet in the back yard, there was only some leaves, needles and dead branches. It's all in how the wind was directed and what blocked it and so forth.

We've seen activity like this before....just not without a warning of it coming, like a hurricane. We're very luck in MD that it hit us in the cooling hours of the day. Places in VA and WV got hit at the hot part of the day and the storms were more powerful at that time.

Bottom line is that things should be fairly well cleaned up when you arrive. Any remaining power outages should be just onsey-twosey since they focus on large pockets of outages first. Anyway, hope you enjoy your visit to the right coast. Be sure to try some steamed crabs with Old Bay....or you really didn't visit Maryland.

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to grobinette

said by grobinette:

I hope he is doing okay, all things considered.

Thanks yeah he and his wife are fine. They're not even in town at the moment, so I'm not sure if he knows the status of his house/neighborhood.